- Text Size +
The young native girl’s expression went from anger and defiance to one of shock and distraught. I’m sure I had to have read that last one wrong. Distraught?!

“I- I don’t know how to fix that...” The girl stammered.

“He needs his medicine. It’s in a green backpack, probably still laying wherever you people kidnapped the other guys from. If he doesn’t get those meds soon, he is going to die.” I spoke quickly and harshly. I turned back to Brian. His eyes were shut now and breathing labored.

“Then you better go find it.” The girl ordered.

I glanced towards the flap of the hut. “What?! I don’t have a freakin clue where the hell we are or what direction our raft washed up! Not to mention it’s dark. You need to send some of your native friends that knows this jungle. Brian doesn’t have time for me to get lost going in circles out there.” I yelled, pointing a finger at her. I was so angry and so scared for Brian. I don’t think he even looked this bad back when Terri and her whacked up family kidnapped us.

The girl glared back at me before turning around and going out the flap doors. I heard quiet words being exchanged, but of course I had no idea what they meant. I focused my attention back to Brian.

“Hang on, hun. We’re getting your meds so you can’t give up okay?” I rested a hand on his forehead, almost gasping at the heat that radiated from his skin. There was a bowl with what looked like water sitting on a small shelf. Next to it was a piece of cloth. I folded it like a washcloth, dipped it in the water, and laid it over his forehead. I slipped my other hand through one of his and squeezed it gently. “God, I wish Nick were here.” I said softly.

“Well he’s not and you aren’t going to stay either.” The girl reappeared back in the hut.

I whipped around. “I can’t leave him! He needs to know that someone is here with him!”

“I’m not going to be going anywhere.” The girl stated flatly.

I snorted. “Somehow I don’t think your presence is going to bring him any comfort.”

She bristled. “How dare you speak to me in that manner. You have yet to learn your place Fighter. You no longer are allowed to speak so freely. You have angered and defied the chief, why he has let you live, I do not understand. But mark my words, Fighter, the chief owns you now.”

I swallowed. “And what exactly does that mean?”

The girl laughed. “You will find out. Maybe you will learn to wish that he would have just killed you. You and your dark-haired friend, Nick, right? He tried to take Brian’s place? His plan failed didn’t it? The tall one is a slave now and you...” She broke off into a laugh.

“Why do I get the feeling that you had something to do with what’s happened to me?” I narrowed my eyes at the younger girl. The angry look that had flashed in her eyes when she mentioned Nick’s name caught my attention. Why would she be so angry towards Nick especially?

The girl stopped laughing, a dangerous glint appearing in her eyes. “Watch your mouth Fighter. You will be leaving now.”

I tightened my hold on Brian’s hand. “I need to stay with him.”

The girl shook her head disapprovingly. “You need a lesson on what your place is and how you are to talk. Triaz!” She called towards the entrance of the hut. One of the natives appeared a moment later.

“Lelani?” He nodded, respectfully.

Lelani spoke to him in their native tongue and gestured to me. The native started towards me, smiling. Another followed directly behind him.

I shrank back, suddenly afraid.

“Lizz?”

I looked down to see Brian awake and looking at me. I could tell he was disoriented, but read the fear in my eyes, plain as day. “It’s going to be ok, Bri. They’re finding your meds and you are going to be fine. Hang on for us okay? Do it for Nick, he’s counting on you.” I tried to keep my voice as calm as I could as to not upset him, but it wasn’t doing a whole lot of good.

“Wh-what’s...going on? Where-?” He was cut off by another fit of coughing. I tried to go to him, but the native pulled me away. Lelani stepped between Brian and I.

“You will learn.” She said smugly. Then she looked at both natives and spoke in English. “After you are done, take her to see her friend and the tall one. Palo knows where they are being kept. Then they will learn too.”

“Wait!” Brian called out, the weakness in his voice making me wince.

“It’s going to be okay. You just worry about getting better.” I called out, frustrated at how my voice betrayed me. It was shaking. The native shook me and barked something in his language. I understood it to mean “shut up” so I did just that, my stomach clenching up for whatever they had in store for me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lizz struggled against the men as they tore her away from Brian and literally dragged her out of the hut. Seeing Brian’s face drenched in sweat from the fever and the sounds his lungs made when he coughed sent alarms ringing off in her head. He was slowly drowning in his body’s fluids and if Brian didn’t get his meds soon he would get pneumonia - if he already didn’t get it.

One of the men, Triaz, released his grip on Lizz’s arm and hurried ahead of her towards the hut where she, Howie and AJ were being held. He roughly insisted that the tattooed one come out from the hut. Moments later, AJ emerged, his face red with anger.

“I don’t know what kind of fucking games you people are playing---”

“SILENCE!”

Lizz took a chance and spoke out of place. “AJ! Brian needs our help, he’s getting worse!”

Triaz spoke after casting a sharp gaze at Lizz. “You will accompany us to the beach and grab some sort of green bag that has medicines. You won’t do anything stupid because if you do, she will pay for your insolence!”

Lizz struggled against the other man’s grip. “Just let me go with you instead, leave AJ back here!”

Palo shoved Lizz towards the cave and pushed her inside. “Women are weak and we need a man to do a man’s job.”

As much as she disagreed with the statement, she had to bite her tongue from saying anything to piss the men off. She could tell that they had stroked AJ’s ego and she was going to leave it alone for the time being. She watched with Howie as the three of them walked off, Triaz reminding AJ that he must not try to escape or serious harm would come to the others.

~*~*~*~*~*~


I strained to peer around the huge boulder that had been placed in front of the entrance of the cave but was unable to see anything outside because of the darkness. As I started to investigate every nook and cranny in the, I could feel the staring of Kevin’s green eyes trained on me.

“Nick, there’s no way out but the front,” he reasoned.

“There has to be another way out, I heard water dripping noises coming from that one spot and it’s too fricken dark in here to find it,” I shot back. “You’re content just to sit on the floor and let it all happen, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m trying to come up with some type of plan,” Kevin calmly replied.

The calmness in Kevin’s voice only made my panic rise. How could he just sit there doing nothing when his friends were not only separated from him but probably having some type of punishment being dished out at them.

“Deep, slow breaths Nick.”

My shoulders sagged. He knew me like a book. “I am calm!”

“Deep, slow breaths,” Kevin replied.

Before I could protest again, the boulder suddenly started rolling back. I quickly stepped away from the entrance, ready to spring on whoever it was that was waiting on the other side.

“Nick,” Kevin quietly growled.

There’s that damn “read me like a book” syndrome coming out again. How the hell did he know what I was thinking 24/7?

Three men entered the cave and grabbed Kevin. I was surprised when he didn’t struggle against their grip, but calmly walked out of the cave entrance.

“Where are you taking him?” I waited for an answer but no one replied. They kept busy with their charge and started rolling the boulder back across the entrance. “Dammit! Where are you taking him! Answer me!”

My shouts at the men went unanswered. I was left in the darkness to wait for Kevin’s return.