- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay for a new chapter!! This one's dedicated to all of you who have stuck to this story this whole time! It's almost over (only 3 chapters to go!), and that makes me a little sad. But, yay for more updates!
Bryna taped the picture to the brand new dart board that she’d just hung in the corner of her office. Making sure the picture wouldn’t fall off, she stepped back and picked the darts up off her desk. Taking careful aim, her tongue caught between her teeth in concentration, she threw the first dart.

And missed.

“Damn it! Damn it! Damn you!” She pointed an accusing finger at the picture. He smiled back at her with the smile that charmed millions. “You haven’t won yet!”

Retrieving the first dart, she tried again. This time, the dart landed on his chin. Close, but not close enough for her. So she took aim again.

By the time she’d thrown the darts three times, she’d managed to hit the bull’s-eye, his nose, twice. Not bad, she decided, for her first time playing darts. She grinned, darkly satisfied at the holes puckering his face in the picture.

At the knock on her door, she scrambled towards the dart board and ripped the picture off. “Come in!” she called out after a moment. Hiding the picture behind her back, she walked back to her desk as Jason stepped into her office. Sighing in relief, she slumped into her seat. “Thank goodness, it’s you.”

“Yeah. Nice to see you, too.” He frowned at her frazzled appearance. Bryna was usually neat as a pin for work, but there was something off this time. “Let me guess. Man trouble?”

Bryna sat up quickly and eyed him suspiciously. “Have you been talking to Nick?”

“Nick? As in Nick Carter, Nick?” Jason eyed her right back. “Has he been causing you trouble again? I swear, Bryna, I don’t understand why you’ve crushed on him for so long. He’s really not worth it.”

“The jerk kissed me yesterday.”

“I mean, he just treats you like you’re not important. He doesn’t take all the hard work you do into-” Jason broke off and gaped at her. “That bastard put his hands on my baby sister? I should break him in half.”

When he started to rise, Bryna rolled her eyes and waved him back into the chair. “Relax, Jason. I don’t think it meant a single thing to him. Figures. The first time I get him to notice I’m a female, he blows me off afterwards.”

“The offer still stands on breaking him in half.”

“Forget it. I’m having more fun throwing darts at his face.” She held up the hole-filled picture. “It’s stress relieving.”

“Cute.” Jason sighed. “Man, we are quite the family, aren’t we?”

Bryna frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, I slept with Leighanne last night, Laurel slept with Brian, and you’re pissed because Nick Carter finally kissed you. Good thing we don’t have to worry about Theresa.”

Bryna just gaped at him, her jaw nearly touching her desk. She managed to drag it off and tried to come up with something to say. “I think,” she began, slowly spacing her words out, “that was information overload. Start over, and go slow this time.”

Jason grinned. “Bryna, I’m in love with Leighanne, and somehow I ended up spending the night with her. I had breakfast with Laurel this morning, and she told me that she’d argued with James last night and then, after running into Brian, she slept with him. I don’t know how that happened, but it did.”

She took a moment to let it all process before she mustered up any words. “Wow. Just wow. Does Laurel know who Brian is?”

“She didn’t. Now she does, but Bri has no idea that Laurel is the Laurel Caine.” He shook his head. “It’s a mess, but it has to get sorted out fast. Someone is going to get hurt, though. It’s inevitable.”

Bryna covered her face with her hands for several moments before scrubbing her face. When her hands dropped away, she let her head fall back against the back of her chair. “Laurel has to tell James what happened, and she’s going to have to tell Brian, too. Clearly, Brian and Leighanne can’t marry each other. Not only will they be too scared to hurt the other by admitting they cheated on each other, but they’ll never be happy together. Something must be done, Jason, and soon.”

“Well, Laurel has to come to the gala. If that helps,” he added.

“Really? Mother’s going to be there.”

“Laurel’s ready to push on and take back what’s rightfully hers. I doubt there’s a court in the country that would stop her. Mother stole Laurel’s shares and control, and it’s hard to disprove that. I think Laurel’s finally figured that out, and she’s fighting back.” Jason sighed. “That’s going to be another complicated mess to sort through.”

“I love family drama, don’t you?” Bryna replied cheerfully before groaning a little in sympathy. “I just can’t wait.”

***


“You’re late, Brian.” Alex lifted a brow at Brian’s frazzled appearance. His hair was tousled, his tie was untied, and the buttons on his shirt were mismatched. “Whoa, pal. Did you go a couple rounds with the champion this morning? You look like a mess.”

Brian barely glanced at his friend. “I overslept.”

“Is everything okay?”

Brian paused, his fingers stilled on the combination of his briefcase. How could he tell anyone what he hadn’t quite figured out yet? He was engaged to a woman he didn’t love, but he was pretty sure he’d fallen in love with another woman, who was certainly in love with another man. Except that she’d slept with him. He was ten kinds of confused, and he hadn’t even had a shot of coffee to snap his mind clear. With everything in his personal life such a mess, he wondered how he would even begin to deal with everything that needed to be done in his professional life.

“I think early retirement sounds great. Don’t you?” he finally responded.

Alex leaned back in his chair in front of Brian’s desk and steepled his fingers contemplatively. “Well, now. I give that a great deal of thought often. Then I remember that I’m not as wealthy as you, and, besides, I like my work. Maybe in twenty years or so.” He narrowed his eyes. “What’s going on, Brian?”

“A lot. I can’t even think about it because it’s too much to handle at the moment.” Brian settled into his office chair and riffled through the paperwork on his desk. “I just wish I was as sure of my life as you are with Kyra and the baby that’s on the way. It must be nice to have that security.”

“What are you talking about? You’re going to marry Leighanne and have lots of beautiful babies.” Alex paused. “Unless something’s happened.”

Brian knew he’d get lectured if he told Alex he’d cheated on Leighanne. Instead, he decided half-truths were better than nothing. “I don’t think we’re right for each other. I mean, sure, we can make our marriage work because we work well together. But I just don’t feel that passion for her that I thought I’d feel for the woman I would spend my life with. I don’t care if that sounds fanciful or whatever, but I still believe in a fairytale ending for myself. Leigh doesn’t give me that.”

Alex was quiet for a few moments before he spoke again. “Does Leighanne know how you feel?”

“How could she not? I’m not entirely subtle about it, and, sometimes, I think she’s not quite sold on us either. I get the feeling that she’s still waiting for something to spark between us, too. It’s not going to happen, and I don’t know how to tell her.” Brian ran his hands through his hair, frustrated, and made it stand up more. “I just don’t know what to do anymore.”

Alex shook his head slowly. “That’s quite the situation you’ve got yourself in, buddy. After all, there’s still the legality of the whole engagement to look at, too. You signed a contract over it, too.”

“Contracts can be amended. I don’t think James is really going to want to see Leighanne or me unhappy for the rest of our lives.” Brian sighed. “I just wish I could tell Leighanne all this and know that she won’t be heartbroken about it.”

“I think she’s stronger than she seems.” Then, because he sensed that Brian was just getting more frustrated thinking about his own troubles, he changed the subject. “Speaking of heartbroken, have you talked to James today?”

Brian frowned. “No. Why? What happened?”

Alex leaned forward and drummed his fingers on the edge of Brian’s desk. “He had it out with the woman he’s been seeing for the last month or so. He’s head over heels for her, but, apparently, she’s been secretive about herself and her feelings for him. Anyway, he finally told her that she had until the gala to either come clean or they’d break things off. I think that’s kind of harsh, but he’s upset about the whole thing. Man, he’s really into this woman. She might be the one for him.”

Something sparked in his memory for a moment. “That’s awful. I guess I should find him and talk to him about it or something. I haven’t even really been paying attention to this relationship of his. They’re really that serious?”

“Oh, yeah. He spends nearly every other night with Laurel. They’re always going out for dinner, the movies, Broadway, anything. I haven’t met her, but Bryna said she had. Apparently, Laurel’s a sweetheart, not to mention strong-willed and really smart. She’s got James hooked good.”

Alex’s words swirled in Brian’s head, and, like pieces in a complicated jigsaw puzzle, everything began to settle into place. His heart sank even as his mind was simply shocked and amazed at the whole thing.

He’d spent the night with the woman his friend was in love with, and, though part of him was ashamed, the rest of him was rooted in shock.

***


On Thursday morning, Laurel walked into the cleaning agency and walked towards the tiny cubicle that she called her own. As she passed the manager’s office, his voice stopped her.

“Miss Caine? May I have a word, please?”

She was too tired to deal with the demands that she was sure were about to be placed on her plate. Besides, she had to get over to Apollo Records to clean and hope that she could avoid both Brian and James. She was more confused than ever about what to do with either of them. She thought she’d loved James, had been convinced she did. Then, Brian had stepped into the picture. Brian, her childhood best friend, had changed everything on her. She’d been so sure, and, now, nothing was sure in her life.

Apparently, not even her job.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but the agency’s letting you go, Miss Caine.”

Laurel just stared at the manager. When she’d been able to find her voice, she managed to ask, “Why?”

“I’m afraid that information was not passed on to me. This order came from the execs, and there’s nothing I can do to change it.” He held out a hand. “It truly was a pleasure to have you in my wing, and your work was always impeccable. However, it’s time for you to go. You have an hour to clear your personal possessions from your work area. Your appointments have all been reassigned already.”

In a foggy state of shock, she drifted wordlessly out of his office and back to her desk. She haphazardly took down her pictures and stowed all of her own things into a box she unearthed from beneath her desk. She didn’t feel sorrow at the loss of her main income, but, instead, a sense of burning panic filled her.

What was she supposed to do now? What would fill her days? She didn’t have the energy to look for another job, not when this one had been paying her well enough. In nine months, she would’ve earned enough to quit and go to school for her degree. Instead, everything had been snatched away for some unknown reason.

Still in a state of disbelief, Laurel walked out of the building with her things and stood on the curb. Mustering up the energy, she lifted her hand for a cab. Almost immediately, an expensive black sedan pulled up in front of her. When the passenger window lowered, she blinked at Bryna’s grinning face.

“Bryna? What are you-” She broke off when she saw Jason in the driver’s seat. “I don’t understand.”

“Hop in, Laurel, and we’ll explain everything,” Bryna assured her.

Nodding, dazed, Laurel followed her sister’s directions and sank into the backseat. “What’s going on? How did you know I would be out there now?” She paused, letting her eyes shut. “I was fired today.”

“We know,” Bryna said gaily. “Also, I hope you don’t mind that we told your landlord that you’re moving out. He said you have until next Friday to clear the apartment. God, Laurel, you lived in the worst neighborhood out there. You know, there were some really safe apartments in that borough.”

“Bryna. Shut up and let me get this all straight.” Laurel looked from Jason to Bryna and sighed. “What the hell were the two of you thinking?! Where am I supposed to live now?”

“Look at it this way,” Jason suggested. “Now you don’t have an apartment to worry about paying the rent for. Which means you don’t have to worry that you don’t have a job that pays you enough to pay rent.”

Laurel covered her face with her arms and let out a frustrated shriek. “WHY?!”

“Same reason we had you fired on purpose.”

Laurel let her arms fall away slowly. “What. Are. You. Doing. To. My. Life. Why do you two hate me all of a sudden? I mean, I know I cheated on James with Brian—which I’m sure you know about already, Bryna. But come on! Don’t punish me this way! It’s bad enough that I’m as confused as I could possibly get, and I certainly don’t need the added complications that you’re giving me!”

“Actually, sweetie, we’re simplifying your life for you,” Bryna said quietly. She squeezed Laurel’s hand comfortingly. “You’re staying with me until you get your own place. A home that will be bought with the money that is rightfully yours from your inheritance. You’re taking back Starlight tomorrow night, Laurel, and we’re going to back you the whole way.”

Laurel just stared at her for several moments before she burst into tears. “I love you guys so much. Seriously, what would I do without you?”

“Crash and burn,” Jason joked, but his eyes were serious. “We’re going to do whatever it takes to help you and save what belongs to you. The rest…The rest, Laurel, will play out the way it’s meant to.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” she whispered before she swiped the tears away and managed a smile. “So, where are we going now?”

Bryna smiled mischievously. “You can’t just show up at the gala in work clothes, Laurel. We’re taking you shopping! When we’re done with you, there won’t be a man in that room who won’t drool over you.”

Even as she heard Jason grumble about cutting out those men’s eyes, Laurel smiled back. “I have the best siblings. Ever. You guys rock!”

***


Laurel stood, swathed in a gown of royal blue silk, and stared at Bryna. “You’re joking.”

“No, I’m not.” Bryna, in turn, stared at her cell phone. “She really wants to talk to all three of us. She said she’d meet us at Xavier’s on Forty-fifth in two hours. I guess she figured I’d know how to get hold of both of you.”

Jason’s frown deepened. “I just don’t understand what could possibly be so urgent that she’s asking us, all three of us, to meet with her. She’s never given two damns about Laurel, and, for all she knows, I could be dead.”

“She knows you work with James.” Bryna sighed. “I agree that this is definitely strange, but, maybe, there really is something wrong. I know none of us owe her anything but, call it twin intuition, I really think we should see her.”

Jason and Laurel exchanged glances fraught with meaning. Both of them knew that Bryna had a much softer heart than they did, but, there were times when it was a good idea to listen to her. With Theresa, though, they just didn’t care enough to pay heed to Bryna’s advice. Theresa had always ignored their existence, and they felt no qualms in doing the same to her.

Except…

“Okay.” Laurel sighed. “We’ve got two hours before we meet her, right?”

Bryna was surprised that Laurel would relent at all. “Yeah. Plenty of time to find you a great dress. That blue is not it, though.”

“I know.” Laurel shrugged then glanced over at Jason. “You in?”

“I think we’re all nuts, but, no matter what, I guess we are family. Dysfunctional as hell, but family.” He sighed. “Let’s do it.”

***


“So what I’m saying is that I’m finally seeing why all three of you hated her.” Theresa bit her lip nervously and toyed with the handle of her teacup. “She’s done everything to control my life and, sometime in the last month, I realized I didn’t want it anymore. She wanted me to seduce James Apollus and con him into marrying me. That way, she’d be able to have control over two of the most powerful corporations in the entertainment industry. At first, I just went along with it because I saw the dollar signs, too.” She didn’t miss the disgusted looks her three siblings shot her. “Somewhere during the visits I paid James, though, I noticed the look of disgust he kept sending me. I went home one day and looked at myself in the mirror. I realized I didn’t like what I saw. I’m nothing without Mother, and I hate knowing that. I want to be done with that. I just thought I’d apologize to all three of you for all the pain I’ve caused you in the last twenty years. I wish I could say it was all her fault, but it’s not.”

There were several moments of silence after she finished. Laurel, Bryna, and Jason simply stared at Theresa, unsure of what to say or whether they could trust her words.

“Theresa, you swear you’re not lying? You’re not pulling a fast one on us to fool us into falling for some trap Mother’s setting for us?” Jason stared hard at her.

She swallowed hard and shook her head. “I swear to you I’m not. I want to be my own person. I’m twenty-five years old, my twin is winning awards for her music, my brother is an exec for a major corporation, and where am I? Nowhere,” she finished miserably. “I haven’t even gotten the guts up to tell Mother all this to her face. I’m a mess and pitiful, too. I’ll understand if you hate me because I hate myself at the moment, too.”

Laurel reached out after a moment and placed a hand on Theresa’s. “I believe you.”

“You-you do?” Theresa blinked in surprise. After all, Laurel was the one who’d been hurt the worst.

“I do. Even if you have been throwing yourself at my boyfriend for a month,” Laurel said lightly. “I understand what it’s like to hate yourself when you look in the mirror. I think it’s time we all just take charge of our lives and give Clarissa a good kick and show her that she can’t control us forever.”

“Amen, sister,” Bryna finally spoke up, too, a small smile on her face as she, too, took her twin’s hand. “We’ll start by stopping the Paramount/Starlight merger. With Laurel back at the helm of Starlight, we’ll finally be able to keep Mother from keeping us under her thumb.”

Theresa nodded but still looked nervous. “Are you sure we’ll be strong enough to bring her down? I mean, I’ve been in the trenches with her, and she’s got a corporate arsenal built up. How will the four of us manage to defeat her?”

“Faith,” Jason said quietly, his eyes intent. “We’ve got the law on our side. Legally, she had no right to take Laurel’s shares and control from her and force her out of her own home. Laurel’s claims will stand up in court, and Mother’s won’t.”

“Then I’m in.” Theresa turned her hands over and laced her fingers with her sisters’. “Whatever you need me to do, I’ll do. I’m with you, one hundred percent.”

Laurel smiled at her stepsister, thrilled that the nearly nonexistent good side of Theresa had finally emerged. With her very determined siblings by her side, she was sure that nothing could go too terribly wrong at the gala.

Nothing.