- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Aaaaaand we're finally finished! I can't believe sixteen chapters took ten months to write, but it's finally done! Thanks for everyone who stuck by this story, and I hope you enjoy the ending!
Brian pulled his car into the nearly empty parking lot and found a space near the front doors of the building. When he’d turned off his car, he let the keys dangle from the ignition and simply rested his head on the steering wheel. Suddenly, his tie felt too tight, the car felt too small, and his heart was racing as though he’d just run a hundred miles. His nerves were killing him.

He supposed it was apt, though, that he felt this way. After all, it wasn’t everyday that a man had to face the woman he’d fallen in love with and walked away from. It wasn’t everyday that he had to figure out the right words to say to her when he finally stood in front of her.

Well, maybe not that last part, he thought. He’d been thinking about what he would say to Laurel if he ever saw her again for the last thirteen months, eleven days, and fourteen hours. Now, it was time to see if he’d actually come up with anything.

Ever since that fateful night over a year ago when he’d walked away from her, Brian hadn’t been able to let her go so easily. She’d preyed on his mind during his waking hours and had invaded his sleep nearly every night. The need to find her, go to her was so great that there had been a few instances in which he’d actually made it to his car before he’d stopped himself.

He told himself that she’d told him half-truths, that she’d never trusted him enough to tell him the whole story. He’d remind himself of how hurt James had been when he’d discovered who Laurel really was. He could easily recall the hurt in his best friend’s eyes when Brian had confessed about sleeping with Laurel. It wasn’t easy to forget.

James, though, had made his peace with Laurel nearly six months ago, and they were now good friends. Brian, on the other hand, had expressly avoided any social gathering that she would have been invited to simply out of self-preservation. He didn’t want to make a fool of himself over her again.

But he knew everything she’d been doing in the last year. He’d devoured every article about her that was printed in any publication. She was quite the popular subject and had quickly become a celebrity in her own right. Her court appearances and trial had been broadcast nearly every week for eight months. Most people referred to her rise to the top as “a Cinderella tale,” and, in the only comment she’d ever given on the matter of her new title as Cinderella, she’d simply said that Cinderella had gotten her Prince Charming. Laurel hadn’t.

As well as the public knew the story of Laurel’s childhood with Clarissa, they also knew that Brian was the Prince Charming who’d never quite fulfilled his role. Word had quickly spread about the goings-on at the Apollo Records gala. He didn’t particularly care to answer the questions that he’d been bombarded with over the past year. Fortunately, the press had backed off after many tries.

He refused to discuss her with any of his friends who asked him to at least make his peace with her. Secretly, he was desperate to see her again, in person, rather than the masses of pictures that had been taken of her since she’d regained control of Starlight, replaced half of Clarissa’s appointed board members, and begun to turn the company around. Naturally, she’d prevented the merger of her company with Paramount. Brian couldn’t have been more proud of her.

What he wasn’t so sure of was whether or not he’d actually be able to hold a civilized conversation with her when he saw her or whether he’d simply drag her off to a corner and relish in the sensation of being with her after so long. Or maybe he’d strangle her. He still wasn’t sure, but, after a year, his anger had greatly diminished and left only an enormous need for Laurel in its stead.

Knowing that nothing would be accomplished if he continued to sit in his car, he climbed out of his car and walked into the church. He followed a small hallway and stopped outside one of several doors when he heard James’ voice. Knocking lightly, he pushed the door open and found James, Nick, Jason, Kevin, Alex, and Howie gathered. James was obviously the center of attention as it was his big day, but the others were just as excited.

“Brian, you made it!” James looked visibly relieved. “I wasn’t sure if that delay in Chicago would keep you from making it back in time. I don’t know what I would’ve done without a best man.”

Brian gave him a half-smile. “You would’ve just picked from one of these guys and kept going. I doubt my absence would really keep you from marrying the woman you love.”

“You never know,” Nick told him. “He’s been worrying about whether you’d be able to make it or not for the last hour. If you hadn’t made it, he probably wouldn’t have made it out there.”

Kevin nodded. “I don’t think Theresa would’ve been too thrilled to postpone her wedding on your account.”

“Then I guess I should get a big prize for being here,” Brian joked but went to James’s side and patted his back reassuringly. “I’m here, so all is well again. How much time do we have?”

James checked his watch. “Still an hour. Somebody, quick! Entertain me. Do something because I think I might throw up.”

Alex slapped the back of Nick’s head, which created a stir between the two of them as Alex had known it would. Watching the hilarity ensue, James relaxed. Brian, though, continued to fret over seeing Laurel soon.

Being one of Theresa’s stepsisters and the reason why Theresa and James had ever gotten together in the first place, she was naturally a bridesmaid. Which meant that Brian would have to stand across from her in front of a church full of people and try not to watch her the entire time. He wasn’t sure he’d manage it.

“You’ll be fine,” James told him.

“Huh?” Brian broke out of his thoughts and stared at his best friend. “What?”

James lifted a brow. “Don’t pretend you weren’t thinking about Laurel and how you’re about to see her for the first time in a year.”

“Okay.” Brian sighed. “I won’t.”

James shook his head. “I know you’re still in love with her.”

Brian winced. “Is it that obvious?”

“No. But I know you, so I know. And I also know that you’ll never be happy and you’ll never be able to move on until you talk to her. I know you’ve heard this a thousand times,” James continued when Brian opened his mouth to protest, “but it’s true. Maybe the two of you will finally have it out tonight. Maybe you’ll realize that whatever you found with each other last year is over, and you’ll quit asking yourself ‘what if?’. Or maybe you’ll find that you two belong together and have only been prolonging the pain.” He shrugged. “Whatever it is, you’ll never know until you sit down and talk to her. And don’t use me as your reason why you can’t be with her,” he added, knowing how Brian’s mind worked.

“James-”

James shook his head and cut off Brian’s protest. “Nope. Laurel’s a friend. A good one. That’s all she and I are, and I’ve forgiven her for what happened. You can’t use me.”

“Fine.” Brian folded his arms across his chest and watched Nick and Alex play Rock, Paper, Scissors. His excuses were dwindling away, and he understood that it was futile to deny what was obviously going to happen.

The knock on the door interrupted his thoughts. Bryna stuck her head in the door and rolled her eyes at the scene. “I should’ve known men couldn’t take such things seriously.”

Nick bounded over to her instantly, his arms wrapped around her. “You know you love it, though.”

“No,” she corrected him. “I just love you, and it’s all just part of the package I paid for.”

He kissed her then frowned. “Hey, you’re not supposed to be here. Are you a spy?”

She rolled her eyes at his playful behavior. “Nope. I just wanted to make sure that all of you are ready.” Her eyes fell on Brian. “Brian! You’re here! I’m glad you made it.”

“Me, too.” He couldn’t hold out against her smile. “I guess it’s my best man duty to tell you to scram. We’re fine. Nervous,” he said, with a glance at James, “but we’re ready.”

Bryna reached out and squeezed his hand comfortingly. She’d already given Laurel a pep talk and was sure the other men would’ve talked to Brian. Now, it was up to the two of them. “Everything’s going to be just fine.”

***


She was stunning. Absolutely breathtaking in the pale blue bridesmaid’s gown that Theresa had designated for her sisters to wear. Brian wondered how anyone could even pay attention to a glowing Theresa when Laurel was standing not five feet away and looking so incredible.

They hadn’t made eye contact yet, though he knew that they’d both chanced a glance at each other since the start of the ceremony.

So intent was he on studying Laurel that James had to nudge him when the rings were needed.

“Oh.” Brian blushed furiously. “Sorry.” He held out the plush velvet cushion that held the gleaming gold rings.

James just winked at him, knowing exactly where Brian’s thoughts were. Fortunately for Brian, there were more important things for James to worry about than where his best friend’s attention currently was, and he turned back to his almost, nearly-there wife.

Laurel thought he was adorable. Absolutely, gorgeously adorable in the black suit, his curls just brushing the collar. She wanted so badly to run her fingers through them the way she had that night when—No. She stopped her mind from traveling down that path again. That was the past, and she was going to stick to her vow to only look to the future.

Today, she was going to take the future in her hands and confront Brian. Soon. After the ceremony. At the reception. Sometime. Oh, God.

Because it made her nervous to think about that confrontation, she simply drank in the sight of him greedily. Thirteen months had been far too long to go without seeing him, but she had been too scared to approach him after the way he’d stormed out of the gala. She’d hurt him, and she’d have to tread very carefully in order to, if not get him back, at least make amends.

At the reception.

***


The lavish reception was held at a nearby country club and hosted nearly four hundred people. Everyone from James and Theresa’s innermost circle of friends and family to several of the musicians Apollo Records had signed were there. The paparazzi had buzzed at the entrance to the club in an attempt to spot the big names that were present at the reception. Brian, though, had foreseen such a problem when he’d been helping James plan for the wedding. Instead of arriving through the main entrance, all of the guests were instructed to enter through one of three side entrances to the grounds.

Brian doubted the media was too thrilled about being able to photograph…well, no one.

At the moment, though, his mind was too preoccupied with how to approach Laurel. She was currently in the midst of mingling with a group of friends, which left Brian no other choice but to wait until she was alone again.

He wondered if she thought of him.

“Brian! What are you doing in this corner by yourself?” Leighanne made her way over to where he stood, surveying the scene. She beamed at him before sliding her arm through his. “You did a great job with the reception. Everything’s absolutely wonderful! Maybe you should go into business as a reception planner,” she joked.

Brian kissed her cheek. “Well, I learned from you. Remember? Even if we didn’t get married, I still remembered all those little details you had on your to-do lists.” He glanced down at her belly. “So, how’s Baby doing?”

She laid her free hand on her abdomen, her wedding band gleaming in the light. “Not bad. Two more months, and Jason and I will actually be able to hold him. Or her,” she added.

“Still don’t want to know?”

“Jason and I wanted to be surprised.” Being perceptive, Leighanne knew his attention was only partly with her, and she followed his gaze to the object of his attention. “So, have you talked to her yet?”

“What?” Startled that she could read his thoughts so easily, he turned back to her. “Who?”

“Brian, why don’t you just go over there and ask to speak with her privately?” Leighanne patted his arm. “I promise, she won’t kill you.”

“No.” He blew out a worried breath. “But I bet she thinks I will. I wasn’t exactly nice to her the last time we were together.”

Leighanne shook her head. “Laurel understands why you were so angry. And, if I’m not wrong, she really wants to talk to you. Neither of you will be happy until you’ve had it out.”

“You’re right. I know you’re right. I’m just waiting for her to be alone for a bit.” Brian looked over her shoulder to watch Laurel again. “I don’t want everyone to know what’s going on.”

Well, everyone does, Leighanne thought wryly, but she patted Brian’s hand reassuringly. “Just go for it. Don’t think about everyone else. It’s just you and Laurel. So go.” She nudged him forward.

He knew Leighanne was right. “Well, then. I guess it’s now or never.” He started towards Laurel and turned to smile at Leighanne. “Thanks. Now, go sit and put your feet up.”

She watched him go and just shook her head. “He spends far too much time with Jason.”

Brian felt like a man walking to his execution and knew it was foolish to think such a thing. This conversation with Laurel was bound to turn out one of two ways. They were both smart enough to know that there was no point in being upset with each other after more than a year had passed. So they’d either part as just friends, or they’d agree to try to be together. Brian wasn’t sure he could handle just being friends with Laurel when he was so in love with her.

It felt as though his life was in balance rather than just his heart.

He approached the group Laurel was with, his heart pounding in his ears. When he was a few steps away, she looked up and met his gaze. As though she understood exactly why he was there, she said something to the person she was speaking with and then left the group and made her way to where Brian stood.

For a moment, they simply stared at each other. Then, he broke the silence.

“Hello.”

She resisted the urge to throw her arms around him. “Hi.” Then, “I heard you helped plan the reception. It was wonderfully done. Congratulations.”

“I, uh, didn’t do that much, but thanks.” Knowing that ears around them were perked for anything juicy, he placed a hand on her elbow. “Why don’t we get out of here? Go outside for fresh air?”

Laurel wondered if he could feel her pulse racing. “Sure.”

When they were outside in the moonlit gardens, Brian stopped near a bed of lilies, unsure of what to say.

“So,” he began, “how are you? How have you been?”

Laurel didn’t know what to do with her hands and linked her fingers to keep them from fidgeting. “I’ve been well. I got full control of Starlight a month and a half ago, so it’s been keeping me pretty busy. It’s much more difficult than I’d imagined because several of the officers don’t trust me yet. But they’ll come around,” she added with a determined gleam in her eye.

“I bet they will,” he murmured. “I should congratulate you on winning your case. What’s going to happen to Clarissa now?”

She sighed. “I couldn’t be as cold-blooded as she is. I gave her two million dollars as a settlement and asked that I never have to see her again.”

“Two million’s a big amount.”

“I just couldn’t kick her out on the streets with nothing. The courts took most of her liquid assets, her investments, and whatever else she had because it wasn’t rightfully hers. Plus, it turned out she’d already been under investigation for tax fraud, which is why she was probably trying to sell the Starlight shares to Paramount,” Laurel explained. “She wanted enough money to pay off the government and keep herself from going to prison. I just didn’t have the heart to leave her with nothing.”

Brian smiled. “You’ve got a huge heart.”

“I guess. Maybe.” She shrugged.

“Maybe you’ve still got room in it,” he began nervously. “For me?”

Her breath caught. “What?”

He stepped towards her and cupped her face in his hands. “I’ve spent the last thirteen months trying to figure out a way to make things right between us. To get you back,” he whispered.

“Brian, I…” She was speechless. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Don’t say anything. Just listen for a minute.” He let go of her and began to pace. “The morning after we’d been…together, I figured out that you were the same Laurel that had had James tied up in knots for weeks, and I had no idea what to do. He’s my best friend, and I’d just slept with the woman he was in love with. Before the gala, all I could think about was you and how I could possibly convince you to leave James without him finding out that we’d been together. And then I saw how hurt he was when he discovered that you were really Laurel Caine, that you’d held out on trusting him. I was reeling from that news, too, because it turns out that you were really the girl I’d grown up with. I was confused, stunned, really, and then I watched James storm out of the ballroom, and I knew that if I said anything to you, I’d probably regret it down the road. I’m sorry for what I did say to you,” he apologized now. “Everything I felt for you was so new and then to have it mixed up with memories of you from when we were little…Laurel, you have to believe me when I say it was too much for me to rationally handle. But I’m ready to handle it now because I know what I feel now.”

When he fell silent and watched her, she realized he was waiting for her to say something. “I guess it’s my turn now,” she said a bit shakily. This time, it was she who was reeling from what he’d told her. “I’m sorry for not telling you the truth that night I spent with you. I had sort of figured out that you worked for Apollo, but I hadn’t realized that you knew James. That’s not any sort of excuse for cheating on him, but I’d like to believe that there were forces greater than us that compelled us to be together. I fell in love with you that night,” she told him. He reached for her then, but she held up her hands. “Wait. Just give me a second. Whatever happened in the following days and whatever you said to me in anger, I didn’t blame you for because you were right to be angry. I messed up. Big time. In all the months since then, Brian, a lot changed, except one thing.”

His fingers itched to touch her, but he knew he had to wait. “What’s that?”

“That I love you. I never stopped. I don’t know if it started when we were little, but I don’t think it’ll ever stop.” When she found herself in his arms, she smiled into his shoulder. “I guess you liked that answer.”

Brian tipped her chin up so he could look into her eyes. “I guess I did, since I’m in love with you, too. You do realize I won’t be able to let you go for the next, oh, forever?”

“I don’t think I’m going to have any problem with that.” She wrapped her arms around his neck. “I guess this means you’ll have to marry me then.”

He froze for an instant before he relaxed and grinned. “Is that a proposal?”

“What if it is?”

In response, Brian pulled her in for a kiss, one that shimmered with all the love and joy pouring through them both. They held each other for long moments, exhilarated to finally be together with no lies or obstacles between them.

“Brian?” Laurel buried her face in the curve of his neck and breathed him in.

“Hmm?” He rested his cheek against her hair and was thrilled to find she still smelled of jasmine, the scent that had haunted him for months.

She lifted her head to meet his eyes. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“Which one?”

“If I were to propose, would you-”

His lips cut off her question, and she all but melted in his arms at the intensity of it. Around them, the gardens were full of moonlight, the fragrant scent of blooms, and magic. Beneath her palm, Laurel could feel his heart race and only clung closer. Against her mouth, his lips curved.

“I accept.”