- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm baaaaaaaack! I hope you enjoy the next chapter of this tale!
“To us!” Glasses clinked over the sounds of loud music and raised voices.

“To friends!”

“Forever.”

AJ leaned back in his seat and turned to James, who sat next to him in the booth they’d crowded ten people into. Beyond a balcony and down a floor, bodies danced to the beats mixed by a popular New York DJ. “So, you ready to try out this scheme you’ve got of getting a life?”

James shrugged. “I kind of like just hanging out here with everyone. We haven’t done this in too long,” he added, smiling happily at the sight of his favorite people surrounding him.

Their group had been close-knit for the past twenty years and had grown when AJ had married Kyra, and James had hired Nick for Apollo. They’d initially started off as a small group with Brian, Kevin, Kristin, and Howie, who’d gone to the same private school and had spent time together during recesses. When Kristin’s uncle had remarried, Bryna and Jason Chambers had been added to the group. Then, in seventh grade, AJ had transferred in and been added to their diverse bunch, and James had joined when he and Brian had been freshmen. Although Bryna and Nick had known each other since the start, none of the others really knew him until he’d interviewed for James and gotten the job. In twenty years, though they’d changed and grown, their friendships had remained strong and a priority for all of them.

“Too true.” Kyra McLean leaned over her husband’s shoulder to smile warmly at James. Her dark blonde hair was tied back, but her blue eyes sparkled with fun. “Just because we’ve all been busy with life doesn’t mean that we can’t make time to spend with each other.”

“Why don’t we make it an official monthly deal?” Nick suggested from across the table.

“Fabulous idea,” Kristin agreed next to him. “I mean, we haven’t even properly celebrated the fact that you and AJ are going to have a baby, Ky. And this doesn’t exactly count.”

AJ nodded. “It’s okay. We’re not that far along yet. Only three months.”

We?” Kyra poked him. “You’re not the one who’s been throwing up every morning for those three months.”

“You’re right.” He looped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer, settling one hand on her still-flat belly. “You’re a goddess. I don’t know how women do it.”

Kristin rolled her eyes. “Well, better we do it than you men. God knows, if you were the ones giving birth, the human species would be extinct at this point.”

Howie noted a look pass between Kristin and Kevin. “Are you guys not telling us something?”

Kevin shook his head. “No. Not yet.” Though not for lack of trying.

“Hello, alcohol here.” Kristin shook her martini lightly before turning to Brian and Leighanne. “What about you two? You’ll be married soon. Thinking about kids of your own?”

Brian hoped Leighanne hadn’t noticed the way he’d stiffened for just an instant at the thought of their children. Truthfully, he couldn’t imagine it. Given some time…maybe. “I love kids,” he answered honestly. “Of course, I’d want my own. Right, Leigh?” He squeezed her hand lightly, smiling at her.

Her hand tensed beneath his for an instant before she returned his smile. “They’ll be beautiful children.”

“Well, just as long as there are plenty of kids for us unmarried ones to spoil, I’m all for all of you having a bunch.” Jason Chambers held up his glass in a toast. “Good luck, all of you.”

Kristin patted her step-cousin’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, Jason. We’ll find you someone, so you can have your own vanful of children, too.”

He shook his head, his deep brown hair curling over his eyes. “No, thanks, Kris. I’d rather be healthy, wealthy, wise, and single. Besides, that leaves more women for Howie and Nick to find.” He winked at his friends. “I’m doing you a favor.”

Nick scowled into his glass. “Personally, I don’t really want a woman. No offense,” he added apologetically to the women in the mix. “But I’ve been turned off women at the moment.” And it was all Bryna’s fault, he thought viciously. If she’d just stop being so damned righteous all the time. He couldn’t wait for the fight they were sure to have when they returned to work on Monday. But that was for Monday, and he was going to try to forget she existed for this Saturday night.

“Bryna’s one woman, Nick.” James shook his head. “Besides, what does a professional argument have anything to do with the way you view women as a whole?”

Nothing, he thought. He was being irrational, and he knew it. And yet… “She’s damn frustrating is what she is. Stubborn, unbending, infuriating little…”

“Watch it, Carter,” Jason warned. “That’s my little sister you’re talking about.”

“Sorry.” But he set his glass down and stood. “Maybe I’ll go improve my mood. Find a woman who can convince me otherwise.” He smiled a little. “Maybe.”

When he’d disappeared down the stairs, Kristin shook her head. “Seriously. Bryna and Nick have got to figure out that they’re crazy about each other. It’s fun to watch, but it’s not healthy for them.”

“It’s fun for me to sit and hear Bryna steam about how awful he is,” Jason agreed. “But, yeah, Nick needs a clue. Maybe if we gave them a push…”

“We could have another wedding after Brian and Leighanne’s,” Kyra finished. “That would be wonderful!”

Abruptly, Brian stood. “Excuse me” was all he said before he headed towards the stairs. No one managed to stop him, but they all stared after him.

“Did I say something wrong?” Kyra wondered.

Leighanne suppressed a sigh and shook her head. “No. Probably not. He’s been out of sorts lately.” And he was unhappy to be marrying her, she thought sadly.

“I’m sorry, Leigh.” James leaned across the table and squeezed her hand. “I thought this was best for both of you. Maybe I was wrong. I could go find him and talk to him.”

She shook her head. “No, no. None of this is your fault, and he’s probably just feeling overwhelmed by everything. After all, he did just merge his company with yours and has to plan a wedding, too. I’m surprised he’s still relatively sane.” She hoped she was convincing.

“Okay.” James nodded then looked down at the dance floor. He glanced up at AJ. “I guess I should take your advice and try it out, huh?”

“What could it hurt? We’ll be right here,” AJ added reassuringly. “Go and make merry.”

As James stepped down, Kevin, Kristin, and Howie followed him, while AJ and Kyra turned to each other in a private conversation. Leighanne had to smile at how in love they were and wondered if she would ever have that with Brian.

“Leighanne?” Jason scooted over to sit next to her. “If anything’s wrong, you should let us know.”

She bit her lip, surprised that a man she barely knew, for she’d only met him a few times, would offer his help so sincerely. But he was one of Brian’s oldest and closest friends, so he probably knew her fiancé well. “Everything’s fine. But thanks all the same for the offer.”

Jason sat back and studied her. There was definitely tension between Brian and Leighanne, but she was holding it together. Something he couldn’t quite say about his friend. He suddenly felt horribly sorry for her as she seemed to want to make things work between herself and Brian. Unfortunately, Brian, not his usual self, was not exactly cooperating.

“Lord, what a mess,” he muttered before moving to stand. He held out a hand and smiled kindly when Leighanne blinked at it. “Let’s try to make this evening enjoyable, huh? Dance with me?”

Hesitating briefly to glance in the direction of Brian’s retreat, she turned back to Jason and bit back a tiny sigh. “I’d love to.” And placed her hand in his.

***


He’d never been like this before. He’d always been the nice, genial, cheerful one. He would always have a sincere smile for everyone and got along with one and all. If he was grumpy, it was a rare mood for him. His behavior lately was pissing him off and surprising himself and everyone around him. Unfortunately, he couldn’t figure out how to stop.

It wasn’t Leighanne’s fault. It had never been her fault, or anyone else’s for that matter. No, he’d been eager to do whatever it took to make certain that his father’s company would be kept safe and prosperous. If the merger of Apollo and Trident stipulated that he marry Leighanne, it wasn’t her fault he’d agreed to it. It was his fault, and he knew it. Therefore, if he followed that logic, he needed to just suck it up and move forward. He’d grow to love her in time. He had to. It was what he’d dreamed of all his life. And yet…

“I’m a horrible person,” he spoke into the night air surrounding the balcony he stood on and brooded over the New York skyline.

“Hmm. I think you need this drink more than I do, in that case.” A glass full of dark liquid and ice jiggled in front of him.

When he turned to see who’d offered it to him, he met a pair of inquisitive, and amused, emerald eyes framed by dark curls of hair. Something flickered in his mind for a moment, an almost recognition, before he brushed it aside and shook his head.

“Thanks for the offer, but I’m okay. Just being pissed off at myself.”

Laurel shrugged but shifted so that she, too, faced the city lights. “Suit yourself, but I hope it’s okay if I chill here for a bit.”

When he shrugged without sparing her a glance, she leaned against the railing and sipped from her glass. She’d come to the club tonight only because Bryna had been in the mood to get out and let loose. Though her stepsister didn’t lack in the friends department, Bryna loved to drag Laurel out when she was in her bitchy and wanting to strike out mood. Tonight, she’d still been stewing over Nick Carter, a man Laurel hadn’t met, and often found herself wondering if he was as bad as Bryna made him out to be. Then again, if Bryna was in love with him, he couldn’t be that bad, could he?

Laurel shook her head at herself and, suppressing the shiver she felt as a light, late April breeze blew, wished she’d brought at least a jacket. True, the days had been warm lately, but she should’ve remembered that the nights tended to get cold. The light blue halter top and white linen pants had obviously been a poor decision on her part, she scolded herself. Shivering again, she wondered if she should go back into the warmth of dancing bodies, where she was undoubtedly uncomfortable, and find Bryna. Make sure she didn’t do anything rash.

“You’re really distracting.”

Laurel snapped out of her thoughts and frowned at the man still standing next to her. “What?”

“You’re distracting me out of what I’m trying to think about.” Brian scowled at her and the way her hand hadn’t quit playing with the swirls of stars and moons dangling from her ears. “Quit it.”

When she realized what she’d been doing, her hand dropped away from her ear. “Sorry. It’s an old habit.” But she scowled right back. “Whatever’s bugging you gives you no right to be rude to me, you know. It can’t be that bad.”

“You’d be surprised,” he muttered.

“Try me.”

“Huh?”

Laurel shrugged. “I doubt I’d be surprised at what’s bothering you. It must be something about your work, right? And, let me guess, you’re in business. Maybe a higher-level officer,” she added, studying him. Though he was wearing a polo and slacks in all black, she could easily imagine him wearing a suit, too. “Yeah, you fit the type.”

“Uh, okay. You win that one.” Intrigued, Brian turned so he faced her. “What do you do?”

She smiled. “All manner of things. But we’re veering away from the subject, which is what’s bothering you. So, is it a contract gone wrong? Did you do something illegal, immoral?”

“No, no, and no. It’s simpler and more complicated than that.” He sighed, not caring that he was asking advice of a stranger. “What if you had to do something as part of a contract, something to do with your personal life, something that you don’t wish to do because you don’t want to hurt yourself and others? Would you do it?”

Frowning a little, she mulled it over. “Guess it would depend on whether or not I was seriously incapable of doing it,” she finally replied. She couldn’t say much more because she felt as though she’d spent a good amount of her life living out a contract that had everything to do with her personal life. None of it had been what she’d wanted, and she’d been hurt. Though the scars were long-buried, of course.

“I can do it. I know that, but still. It’s turning me into someone I don’t like. I’m not usually the kind to sulk when I could be having fun,” he explained. “I’m never upset because there’s always a way to lighten up a bad situation. Or so I thought. Now, I’m not so sure.”

Laurel swirled the leftover ice in her glass and gave him a small smile. “Maybe you should give yourself some time and cut yourself some slack. You sound like you’re carrying the fricking weight of the world on your back. Unload a bit and go dance.”

“Thanks,” he said after a moment. “Do you always give advice to random strangers at clubs?”

“Nope. You standing here brooding just reminded me of Titanic, and I thought I’d be Jack to your Rose. Did it work?”

Brian grinned. “Actually, I go by Brian. And I wouldn’t have jumped.”

“Rose wouldn’t have either.” Her lips curved at his contagious smile. “And, honestly, I’m no Jack, either.”

“So, if you’re not Rose or Jack, who are you?” Brian wondered, curious. He’d never enjoyed talking to a complete stranger before, but he’d thoroughly liked their conversation, even if it had been about a dismal topic. Truth be told, he just liked hearing her voice and watching the face that made him think of fairy princesses. Which was ridiculously frivolous, but that had been his initial impression and he couldn’t shake it.

“Just a random player passing through the stage of your life,” she replied with a smile.

“Poetic, but you’ve got to have a name.”

“Eve,” Laurel lied, giving him the name she gave anyone she met on such strange occasions. Of course, she was tempted to give him her actual name because she realized that she wanted to see him again. Do something more.

He smiled brilliantly, and she found herself gravitating towards him involuntarily. What was it about him? she wondered. The man had such an appealing face, and his eyes were the darkest hue of blue, gleaming in the lights from the buildings around them. That smile, she decided, was his greatest weapon.

“Eve,” he began but was cut off by the appearance of a beautifully delicate blonde.

“Brian?” She made her way towards them and rested a hand on his shoulder. Laurel would’ve had to be blind not to miss the way this woman looked at Brian.

Or, for that matter, the giant rock on her hand. Taken, she thought and was startled at the realization that she was disappointed by the fact that he was engaged.

“Leigh.” His hand covered hers. “What’s up?”

“Is everything okay? Everyone’s wondering about you.” Leighanne tried not to think about the woman he’d been talking to, the one who stood and watched them.

He nodded. “I’ll be right in. Give me two seconds.” But when he turned to look for his new friend, she was gone. Puzzled, but resigned, he shrugged. “Never mind. Let’s go in.” Even as they made their way back to the door into the club, he stopped her. “Wait a minute.”

“What’s wrong?” Leighanne asked, her hand squeezing his gently. He was certainly acting odd.

Brian cupped her face in his hands and brushed his fingers over her cheekbones. She really was beautiful, he thought. And she didn’t deserve the way he kept treating her. “I wanted to apologize for making you think that I’d rather be anywhere but where you are. It’s not true.”

“Brian, you don’t have to-”

“I do.” He nodded. “It’s not that I don’t want to marry you, Leighanne. I do.”

“Because you’ve got no other choice,” she pointed out.

He shook his head. “Not entirely. I suppose, if I’d really wanted to, I could’ve said no to that stipulation in the contract. This is the twenty-first century, and you’re not obligated to agree to anything that you don’t truly want to do. I agreed to marry you, but that doesn’t mean it’s not going to take me a bit of time to adjust. Reshape my life, my plans.”

“Was there someone else?” she wondered. “Before?”

Unless he counted a fourth grade wedding to an old, long-gone friend, he thought wryly. “No. There was no one. What I’m sorry for is not realizing that while I may have had to think about how this, us, changed my plans, it must have thrown a wrench in yours, too.”

A little, she thought. “I was supposed to marry my business school sweetheart,” she admitted after a moment. If he was being honest, why shouldn’t she? “But he left me five months ago. So, relationship-wise, I’ve got nothing to change.”

“And professionally?”

Leighanne shook her head. “The dance school isn’t going to be affected by me being married.”

“I’d like to see it sometime.” Brian frowned at her expression. “What? Is that not allowed?”

“No. I guess I’m just surprised that you’d want to see it.”

He brushed his lips over hers lightly, astonishing them both as it was their first kiss. “We’re to be married, Leigh. I’d like to know more about my wife-to-be. Maybe things will go more smoothly this way.”

“Of course. I don’t want this to be uncomfortable,” she agreed and was stunned when he kissed her again.

Hope sprouted its first, fragile shoots in her heart.