- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow. The longest chapter yet. Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lana & story idea. Mirage Studios owns the rest. Thank-you!

Raphael woke up in the middle of the night, to the sound of someone or something wailing like a banshee. Confused, he rolled out of bed, and headed towards the area the noise was coming from. He was surprised to learn it came from the one spare room. He slowly opened the door and peeked in. He was quite shocked to find a toddler lying on the bed totally hysterical.

"What the hell." he thought, then yelled, "Hey Leo!"

Leonardo came sauntering out of his room. "What is it Raph?"

"What the hell's this?" He demanded, pointing into the room.

Leonardo looked in, and groaned inwardly when he saw the girl screaming.

"A two-year-old," he said simply, as though it were quite obvious.

"I can see that," Raphael returned. "But what the hell's she doing here?"

Leonardo shook his head. "Don't ask Raph. Don't ask."

He then entered the room, and began to try and calm her down. He tried everything, but every attempt seemed to fail miserably.

"Oh. I wondered what the noise was," Michaelangelo said sleepily, as he stumbled into the room. "Thought Raph had stepped on a cat or something again."

"Ha ha. Not funny," Raphael rejoined sarcastically, then turned to Leonardo. "Can you shut her up already?"

"What do you think I'm trying to do, Raph?" Leonardo snapped. "Strangle her?"

"Hell, if it'll shut her up, do it," Raphael muttered.

"Maybe she wants Donnie," Michaelangelo piped up suddenly. "After all, he did bring her here."

"Call him before she wakes Master Splinter up then," Leonardo sighed.

"Donnie!" Michaelangelo called. Donatello appeared within seconds, looking confused at first, then kind of mad.

"What the heck are you doing to her, Leo?" he demanded as he shoved him aside and sat next to her. "You have to have patience, and not annoyance."

He turned to the child. "Hey. What's wrong Kiddo?"

She turned to him and stopped screaming. She sat up and allowed herself to be pulled into a hug.

"Shh. Did they scare you?"

She nodded slightly, as he glared at his brothers.

"Don't glare at us," Raph stated. "She was screaming before we ever came in here."

"What's wrong?" Donatello asked her. "You have a bad dream?"

She nodded, as fresh tears began to stream down her face.

"Shh," he soothed, hugging her tighter as he pulled her into his lap. "It's okay. Nothing's gonna hurt you. I promise."

Ten minutes later Donatello had managed to calm her down and get her back to sleep. He left the room with the others, quietly closing the door behind him.

"Think she'll be okay Donnie?" Leonardo questioned. "She seemed kinda distraught."

"She'll be fine," Donatello assured him. "Just scared 'cause she's in a new place with strangers."

"I wonder if she likes pizza?" Michaelangelo wonder aloud.

"Mikey, seriously, is pizza all you ever worry about?" Leonardo asked.

"No," Michaelangelo answered. "I think about other things too."

"Like what?" Donatello queried.

"Cheese pizza, pepperoni pizza, pineapple pizza, ham pizza," Michaelangelo grinned. "Jam pizza, olive pizza, sardine pizza, beef pizza."

"Mikey, we get the picture," Leonardo said, as he shook his head at his younger brother.

"Does someone wanna clue me in here?" Raphael interrupted. "I really hate to break up your lil' pizza talk here, but will someone tell me just who the hell that kid is?"

"She's the girl Donnie found in the park," Michaelangelo shrugged. "Master Splinter said for her to stay here awhile."

"Great. I'm never gonna get any sleep now that we have a damn two- year-old staying with us," Raphael grumbled. "You just had to bring her home, didn't you Donnie?"

"Raph, she was in trouble. We help those in need," Donatello protested. "She was in need of some care. I'm giving her that care until we find her family."

"You always think of others before yourself, how sweet," Raphael said bitterly. "You ever stop to think about us for once? Hmm? Did you ever stop to think how she'll be getting in our way and disturbing our peace and slumber? Hmm? Did you?"

"No. I-"

"Exactly!" Raphael cried. "You never think about how the shit you bring home will affect us!"

"Namely you Raphael," Leonardo put in. "You're the only one who's bothered with her presence."

"I-" Raphael began, only to be cut off.

"What is going on here?" Splinter demanded. "Why are you arguing outside a sleeping child's door?"

"Sorry Sensei," Leonardo apologized, giving a quick bow. "We forgot where we were standing."

"Now, what is the meaning of all this yelling?" Splinter continued, then looked at the son he knew would be honest or his conscious would eat him up. "Donatello?"

"Raph doesn't like the idea of her staying with us," Donatello answered honestly. "He's mad because she woke him up with her screaming."

"Why was she screaming?"

"She had a nightmare, then got scared when everyone but myself came into the room," he went on. "She'd never seen the others, just me. She calmed down once I entered and sat next to her."

"Raphael, is what Donatello says true? Do you not like the child staying here?"

"If she was found in the streets, the streets is where she should stay and belongs," Raphael stated. "That's the way I see it."

"My son, she is a mere child; she would not be able to survive on her own," Splinter replicated. "Donatello did right by bringing her here. She needs our help."

"Help my ass," Raphael muttered. "What she needs is a good spanking."

"For what? Flipping out after having a nightmare and having strangers come into her room?" Donatello snapped. "I think you're the one who needs the spanking Raph, not her."

"Enough," Splinter cut in.

Just then, small wails were heard coming from inside the room they were standing outside of.

"Dammit!" Raphael yelled. "There she goes again!"

"Donatello, take care of her," Splinter told him. "Go. Before she becomes even more scared."

Donatello nodded, and hurried back into the bedroom to check on her.

"Raphael, ten flips! Now!" Splinter ordered.

"What the." Raphael trailed off, as he received a Look from his sensei.

"Now!" Splinter barked.

Raphael walked off towards the practice room, muttering the whole way there.