- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I remembered I'd promised you an udpate yesterday night after I was in bed, Ashee! And I dunno where you are now, but I hope you like this chapter anyway! And to everyone else - Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lana, Jeff, Drew, teachers, & story idea. Mirage Studios owns everything TMNT. Thank-you!
In the kitchen.....

Master Splinter looked up from his tea when he heard someone enter the room. He glanced up, only to find Donatello looking back at him, with a concerned look on his face.

"Is something wrong, my son?" Splinter queried.

Donatello sighed and sat down in the chair across from him.

"Sensei..." he trailed off, as he went back in thought.

"What is troubling you, my child?"

Splinter watched as Donatello carefully chose his words.

"I...um..." he tried. "Uh...nevermind...."

"Donatello, if there is something bothering you, you can tell me, you know."

"I know Sensei," Donatello replied, then lied. "But nothing's bothering me."

"Then what was it you were going to ask me?"

Donatello paused to think. "Um....I don't remember..."

He stood up and began to leave, but Splinter called him back.

"Donatello."

He turned around. "Yes, Master?"

Splinter eyed him critically, then spoke. "You do know what I think of someone who hides the truth from others."

He watched silently as Donatello's face turned pink.

"Mm hmm." He nodded, then went to leave.

"Donatello."

Donatello slowly turned around, knowing his face was red because he'd been caught doing something he'd just told Lana not to do.

"You know, I can still very easily take you over my knee for lying," Splinter told his shamefaced son. "You know how strongly I disapprove of liars."

Donatello's face was now a bright crimson, as he stood staring at the floor, suddenly highly interested in its designs.

"Sit down, my son," Splinter said, casually pointing to the seat Donatello had previously been sitting in. "And we shall talk."

Donatello guiltily sat down across from his sensei once more.

"Now, I know there must be a reason for you lying to me just a moment ago. Do you care to tell me what it is?"

Donatello sighed, as he cast a quick glance at his master. "It's Lana."

"What about her?" Splinter asked curiously.

"Well, I'm sure you know the details of why we left here in a hurry earlier," Donatello began, as Splinter nodded slightly. "What you don't know, is why she went and did all this."

"Go on," Splinter urged gently, when Donatello stopped.

"A few weeks ago, she asked me if she could go to the BSB concert in Amsterdam," Donatello informed him. "I told her no, then sent her on her way. She seemed okay, even if she was somewhat mad. Little did I know just how upset she really was. She secretly purchased tickets from a school friend, who couldn't go anymore because of other plans."

"Mm hmm."

"She bought the tickets, then talked Jeff into going with her, seeing as he's her best friend and also a huge fan. He agreed and they developed a plan to get there without anyone knowing, as they'd been told by everyone that they couldn't go," Donatello continued. "When I asked her why she did all this, she said it was because she had to see Brian smile.in person.no matter what. The worst part of it all is, she stole from Mikey, of all people, so she'd have the money to go."

Splinter looked quite surprised. He knew (as did the turtles) just how much she loved Michaelangelo and looked up to him. She might as well be his shadow some days, for everytime they'd turn around she'd be with him, laughing about something.

"During all her scheming, she never knew that I'd purchased tickets myself, but for next month's show in Michigan. She'd just assumed I'd meant she wasn't allowed to see them perform period. Then after I.um.well.you know. I told her she was grounded for a month and not allowed to go to the concert next month. I said the tickets and backstage passes were going to be given to a fan who deserved to go."

"I take it she did not like the sounds of that."

"Sensei, if only you'd seen the look of pure anguish on her face," Donatello answered, shaking his head miserably. "She looked positively heartbroken."

Splinter eyed his student, carefully studying his eyes, which looked quite troubled.

"I see you have still the habit of feeling guilty about things that were not in your control."

Donatello nodded sheepishly.

"Donatello, you must learn to understand that you can never know exactly what someone is thinking. You may think you know, but you may not always be right. Not even I know what you, and your brothers, are thinking after something's happened. I can only tell when you are troubled and need some advice. I am afraid advice is all I can give, as I can not always tell you what to do, for I will not always be there to tell you what to do and what not to do. You have to know within your heart whether or not what you're doing is right, now matter how much it pains you."

"I know Sensei," Donatello sighed heavily. "But I still feel bad for not telling her in the first place. I was going to surprise her, but now I just wish I had've told her."

"My son, there are always ups and downs to parenting. Unfortunately, today you had to deal with a down side, and do something you did not want to do, even though you knew you she had earned it."

"Let's just say I know how you feel now," Donatello admitted. "I could tell you never liked distributing the punishment after we had lied or been caught lying, but never knew how deep that feeling was until tonight."

Splinter patted his arm. "Donatello, punishing your child is never a pleasant thing to do, but is the only way they will learn right from wrong, and what you disapprove of. They are not mind readers either, though they like to act it at times. They feel just as confused and helpless as you do when they have done something wrong. The child knows deep down that they're getting what deserve. They are mad, not so much for being punished, but because they know they have let someone they love down. Their conscious eats them up, and soon they feel guilty."

"I can relate there," Donatello interrupted, then turned a little pink when Splinter paused, giving him a stern look. "Sorry Sensei."

Splinter went on. "But, unlike you, they let that guilt go by occupying themselves, and doing things you will approve of. They do not like being bad, and not all do so on purpose, they just need to learn things the hard way. They need to see for themselves just exactly how far they can push the limits."

"I'm beginning to see what you mean," Donatello replicated. "They want to be able to do things on their own, and test the limits by doing so."

"Exactly," Splinter nodded. "Now, as for those tickets. You want her to go to the concert, am I correct?"

Donatello nodded sheepishly.

"And why is that?"

"It'd mean the world to her."

"Even those she has already seen them once and had them sing to her?"

Donatello nodded again. "Yes."

"The concert is after her month of grounding is up?"

"Hai, Sensei."

Splinter thought a moment. "It is really your decision, my son. But since I can see you want to take her so badly, I will tell you this. Keep the tickets, but don't tell her you still have them. If all goes well in the next month, and you believe she has earned the right to them once more, then go ahead and take her. But if you feel she hasn't earned them back, then do like you said you were going to, and give them some other fan who deserves to go."

"Thanks Sensei," Donatello smiled, as he stood up.

"Donatello."

"Yes, Master?"

"Remember to take the whole month into consideration, and no matter what, don't take her just because it would mean the world to her. If she has rightfully earned the privilege, then granted, she may go. Also, if you do take her, and I find out she went even though she did not earn it, I will not be happy."

"Yes, Sensei," Donatello responded, then promised, "She won't go unless she's earned it. You can trust me on that one."

Splinter nodded, then with a wave of his hand, dismissed his student.

"Kids," he thought, rolling his eyes slightly.