- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alright so I finished this one...I had written it but I had to add more. Hope you read and you like!
Everything had happened so fast, that I didn’t have time to think. I sat there staring at nothing, as I pressed down my black dress.

He was gone…what was Kevin going to say…had anyone told him yet?

We ran so fast, I almost had a heart attack, he was laying in the middle of the field. “Dad…dad are you ok?” Kevin yelled as he tugged at his father, I was as startled as he was, I didn’t know what the heck to do.

“I’ll get my dad” I ran once again as fast as I could…

I shot through the kitchen and into the living room huffing and puffing “What in gods name is wrong?” my father leaped out of his chair “Mr. Jerald he is in the field, laying there like he’s dead…hurry” we both bolted out to the field.

A little while later we sat waiting for the doctor to let us all know what was going on with Mr. Jerald, he was sick, with what no one knew… “What happened to my dad?”


I snapped out of memory bliss as I heard the same words “Where’s my dad?” there he stood, his eyes tired and saddened. He totally ignored my presence, but I understood that he was to concerned to notice me.

As Mrs. Richardson told him the news, he fell to his knees and buried his face in his hands. I wanted to walk over and console him, but I doubted he wanted me near, by now he knew what had happened with Tiffany and Becky and I was the bad person.

His brothers came to his aide, I hadn’t seen them around for years. The things that bring a family together. I wiped the tears streaming down my face. Mr. Jerald had just asked for him, maybe that was all he wanted to do, just see Kevin’s face one more time.

I left Kevin to grieve alone for a couple of days, I didn’t’ want to be imprudent, but i was tempted as I saw him sitting on his back porch and decided it was time to talk to him, he hadn’t said a word to me since he had arrived.

“Hi…” a murmbered.

He didn’t even look up “Hey…” I took a seat next to him.

“Are you ok?” Ok that wasn’t exactly what I wanted to say…of course I knew he wasn’t ok…but I had said It!

“How do you think I am Kayla?” he shouted, seriously startling me.

“I’m sorry…”

Once again he shouted “About what exactly are you sorry…that you left without a word… or that you told Tiffany that I kissed you…or that you were fucking around with Trevor? Cause I’m confused…”

My eyes instantly swelled, he had never spoken to me like that “Trevor…what are you talking about?”

He grabbed my arm “Just when I thought you were different…I saw you…with Trevor on the roof...quiet close if you ask me…”

the door closing it was him, get yourself out of this one Kayla. “That’s not what you are thinking ok…you have it all wrong Kevin. You’ve got to believe me!”

He smirked “Yeah…well what was It then?”

I sighed, “I can’t tell you…I just can’t” he glared at me, with so much anger, I began to cry.

“Yeah well if I’m not mistaken it seemed as if you were going to screw your own best friends future husband…now that would make you a whore…”

Did someone empty a bucket of cold water on me…am I in a bad dream? Did he just call me that? I had nothing to say, that was what he saw and I wouldn’t change his stubborn mind.

So once again I ran, this time faster than usual. I reached the barn out of breath and my face flooding with tears and I sat there and cried

About an hour later I heard that damn voice again “Kayla you in here?”

No…damn it leave me alone

He sighed heavily “I ran Kayla…I didn’t know what to do when you said those words…leaving you, hurt more than leaving my parents behind. But I had to get out of here.”

I snuggled into almost a ball “You left me…all alone. You never wrote, you never bothered to call me…nothing.”

Now he took a seat next to me “I know! And I’m so sorry about it really…but I didn’t want to hurt you anymore than I had.”

I sighed louder than I wanted “Hurt me…that was a little selfish don’t you think.”

He looked straight ahead “I know it was selfish…but I met Tiffany and I felt happy and I didn’t want to show you that I was happy…cause…” all I wanted was for him to say that he still had feelings for me.

come on say it Kevin say it

I looked at him as he looked back at me, “Now that my dad is gone…I feel like the world has come to a halt, for the past couple of months I didn’t even call or write to him. I kept promising that I would come down and I never did” He hit the hay with all his might.

Ok what do you I say now…maybe I should make up a white lie. “Kevin he wasn’t mad at you, he actually understood and he was happy that you were happy…I talked to him when I got here”

He looked at me with shame “He was?” I knew I was lying but only a little, deep down I know that Mr. Richardson was happy for his son and that he loved him dearly.

“Yeah he sure was…” “Oh Kayla I messed up…really bad” I embraced him tight and let him cry on my shoulder it felt so nice to have him next to me, just like old times.

I woke the next morning, a little sore from sleeping against hay. Kevin’s head resting on my lap, I caressed his hair as I sighed with frustration.

He woke at my touch, he sat up and rubbed his eyes “Hey…morning” he said as he flashed a smile my way “Morning” I replied now standing and stretching my cramped legs.

“You know your not that light…” I joked as I rubbed my legs

“Excuse me…is that an insult?”

I giggled it was nice to see him smile, “Hum it could be…” he tried grabbing me, but I began for the door and he ran after me “Don’t let me catch you…I’m gonna give you a wet wily”

I ran faster through the fields and past the horses, ok so I was a slow runner and I always got a head start for being the only girl to play hide n seek with the boys.

I hid behind the big green tractor, trying to muffle my laughter, that always got me caught. Suddenly I would here him yell “I see you” I would get so nervous I would dart from behind the tracker and head for the fields, he would chase after me till we couldn’t anymore and usually we would wrestle for a while in the field until he made me repeat “Mercy”


I ran backwards as I stuck my tongue out at him not noticing the hole in the ground, I fell right on my butt, I must have caught him by surprise because he came tumbling right on top of me…we laughed so hard we didn’t even notice the awkward position we were in.

“Are you ok?” he asked as he tried to stop laughing.

“Yes but I can’t breathe” I squealed.

“What why?” now he looked deep into my eyes, it made me shiver. I wasn’t thinking to clearly and my urge was greater than the reality of things.

I pulled him in and I kissed him, but he didn’t hesitate and kissed me back.