- Text Size +
I rearranged the things in my room, taking down old pictures and throwing them into a box. As I scavenged in my closet a stuffed teddy bear fell on my head although it was stuffed it kind of hurt, and I rubbed my head.

I took a look at the bear and flung it across the room

“Come on I already asked your dad if you could go, it’s only down the street!”

I sighed, I hated rides “Fine but if I puke it’s your fault Kevin.” he smiled as he grabbed my hand and we hopped into his dad’s truck. He drove us down to the fair and we played games and rode the rides…

“Oh my god Kevin I’m going to be sick” I said as I abruptly came to a stop.

“Oh come on Kayla one more game and if I win you can have the prize…” I looked at him skeptical about the whole thing “Fine…but if you lose you have to help me bathe Rocket tomorrow.”

He shook my hand and we headed to the basket ball game. I stood there as he looked at me a little nervous about making the basket.

Luckily for him he made it, on the first try, he grinned proudly as he handed me the stuffed animal. “Here you can keep it…forever” he smiled.


“I remember this thing…” I heard a familiar voice say, as I looked up from the closet. I wasn’t exactly startled, but shocked to see Kevin standing in front of me, holding the bear that I had just flung across the room.

“What do you want?” I asked, a little meaner than I wanted.

He smiled as to mock me “Uh I thought I would come and say good bye!”

I laughed cynically “Well bye then, have a nice trip” I stood up now and headed to my window, I smirked as I saw Tiffany putting her bags away.

“Are you going to stay mad at me forever?” he asked. Silence filled the room.

A stubborn tear escaped my eye as I turned to look at him, his eyes although stern, looked as upset as I felt. “YES” I yelled as I pushed him out of the room “And take this shit with you…”

I once again flung the teddy bear, this time at him, he caught it and continued his way down the hall…I watched him until he disappeared down the steps and I ran to my window and watched as he carried the bear and kissed his mother good bye.

I could tell that Ann was as upset as I was. Why did he have to leave again…why?

I threw myself on my bed and curled up and cried myself to sleep. Although I was upset and depressed I found myself a job as a teachers assistant and enrolled in school. According to me I wouldn’t think of him if I kept myself busy and that was true, the days went by, then weeks then the weeks turned into months and my life was finally settling back down.

I was Mrs. K at Sandy Hill Elementary and the kids were adorable and they loved me. Plus I spent lots of time at school doing different activities, before I knew it I was a cheerleader at Kentucky University and I was having a blast.

I hadn’t heard from Becky or Kevin for months and for all I knew their lives were going as smooth as mine. But all my ease was broken on a Saturday when Ann came running into the house.

I was busy working on my homework in the kitchen, when she busted through the back door “Esther” she yelled at my mother “They are coming back…their getting married here…in my back yard…isn’t that great.“ Quickly my mother turned to look at me, but I pretending to not pay any attention their conversation.

Before I knew it their were all kinds of people coming and going from the Richardson house, decorators, gardeners, wedding planners the whole deal and although I still had all my own activities, it still bothered me to know that I would be disturbed by their existence once again.

Out of all the places in the world they had to choose the backyard next door. Assholes!

But the biggest surprise occurred two days before their arrival. I sat in my Kentucky University cheerleading outfit after a very tight game just relaxing on my porch swing, when a taxi parked in front of the house.

I was a little concerned…in the back of my mind I was worried and waiting to make a run for it if I saw Trevor step out, but instead I saw her…she seemed tired and sad.

Wow she has gained some weight…wait a minute she is expecting…oh my god…NOOOOOOOOOO! as soon as she headed towards me, a grin broke across her face, and it made me smile too. I ran up to her and embraced her tight “I thought I would never see you again…” I gasped as I took another look at her “Look at you…oh my god a baby on the way” I laughed as I rubbed her tummy.

She didn’t seem as happy as I thought she would be “Why didn’t you just tell me?” she looked at me, her eyes full of sorrow. I wasn’t really sure of what part she was talking about, the part that her sister had made up such a lame story or the part of her sister sleeping with her now husband.

“Uh…well I just I couldn’t bring myself to say anything. I didn’t want to hurt you.” I didn't specify, I still didn't know what she was talking about.

She smiled “Well now I understand…but he is after me…and I didn’t know where else to go, I got your address from Ke…vin.” my heart skipped a beat as I heard the name come out of her mouth. It was dreadful how his name still made me weak in the knees.

She seemed pale and very frightened as we made our way into the house, she gasped and held her side “Oh my god…not now!” she talked to herself.

I looked at her concerned “What? Is it time already?” she looked at me with her beady eyes “It’s not time yet I still have one more month to go.” but it was more than obvious that the baby wanted out…now!

Before we knew it she was in labor and my dad had her laying on my bed, we had already called the doctor and after what seemed forever, he arrived.

I was right there watching her pain and how hard it seemed to have a baby... Note to self...never have babies and before I could finish my thoughts...there was a cry.

She was beautiful with dark brown hair and little beady eyes like her mother. I smiled to see how happy she was to cradle the little life in her arms.

It was marvelous and saddening how two people could come together and make such a creation, that resembled their love. Well in this case I wasn’t sure what that child resembled, but the good thing was that her mother was more than happy to see her.

I smiled down at Becky I was still astonished that she was laying in my bed, in my room, with a bundle of joy as my mother called babies, and for all I knew, now she was aware of the whole truth.

My father had been so kind to set up the guest room to accommodate Becky and the baby, but she was usually so scared that she ended up in my room, although it was hard to sleep at night with the cries, I made the best of it, dancing Sandy, as her mother had named her, around the room. She had large blue eyes, and she loved to smile, which kept my spirit at a high.

It was the big day of Kevin and Tiffany’s arrival and I wasn’t too sure what the hell was going to happen, once Tiffany knew that her sister was here with her niece, she would want to pretend to care and I was just not going to take it.

I sat with Sandy on the porch as the big truck pulled into the driveway, as it came to a halt, the first thing I saw were those familiar green eyes glance at me.