- Text Size +
3 Years later…

I stood looking at my parents, my hair in a ponytail “Mother I’m a grown woman…” I held on to my carry-on bag “Dad I’m going to be fine…I’m all grown up now…”

My father hugged me tight “You stay out of trouble and if you want to come back home please do.”

I laughed, “Ok dad…I will…”

I hugged my mother “Don’t forget that we love you…and here, it’s Kevin’s phone number…” she slipped it into my hands.

“Mom you had this number the whole time. Why didn’t you ever give it to me before?”

My mother sighed heavily “Because I knew that the only thing it would do is hurt you. When he left you where really devastated.”

I looked away slightly embarrassed “Well that is over, I’m moving to California where I will find lots of friends…Kevin is in the past” I kissed my parents goodbye before the conversation elongated “I will call you when I get there and don’t worry ok.”

I was on my way to California I looked back and waved at my parents as I held in the tears. I had to admit to myself that I was afraid, and unsure of what awaited me there.

The plane ride was pretty long and I just couldn’t concentrate on falling asleep. I checked my pockets for my chap stick and instead pulled out Kevin’s phone number. I just couldn’t understand why my mother had this number if he was practically lost.

I didn’t remember seeing him around his house the holidays had come and gone, but maybe he just didn’t want to see me and so he hid.

I was drifted off in thought, but was startled by a young girl sitting next to me who seemed to be sobbing, according to her silently.

“Are you ok?” I asked, she looked at me as she wiped a tear “Oh my god…I’m sorry for being so loud I’m trying my best not to be noticed you know.”

I faked a smile “I’m sorry I didn’t mean to bother you I just…” she laughed as she wiped the rest of the tears off her face.

"Oh no your not bothering me at all…I’m just a little nervous. I’m getting married soon and well I’m not sure if I want to.” She now began to sob louder, I didn’t know what to do or say, I was actually wishing I had ignored her.

“Uh…well I can imagine that you want to it’s just that your getting those pre wedding jitters. My friend Susie got them when she got married but now she has a baby and is very happy.”

I smiled at her with reassurance, but deep down didn’t even know what I was saying.

“Your right I shouldn’t be second guessing getting married.” She extended her hand gleefully “I’m Becky I was out visiting my mother who decided to move out to the country, no offense but it isn’t for me. I mean cows, horses…not my thing.” Her babbling made the plane ride much shorter.

Before I knew it we were headed to get our luggage “So I’m so rude Kayla…but what brings you out here?”

I laughed at her she was a very funny and bubbly girl, not to mention pretty. She was petite with blonde hair and big blue eyes.

“I’m going to school out here USC I was kind of tired of the cows and horses myself.” We both laughed in harmony.

“That is so weird I go there too, actually I’m living around there right now. So where are you staying?”

Actually I hadn’t even thought about that. Where was I staying? “You know I’m not even sure where I’m staying I have enough money to stay at a hotel while I find a place to stay.”

Becky giggled, “You seem really nice…how about you come and stay with me. I live by myself, my fiancé comes to stay with me sometimes but having some company would really be good.”

I was a little confused, was this really ok to welcome a stranger into your house after a couple of hours of conversation, wait I was the stranger and I was not a bad person, this could be a good thing.

After I thought about it for a minute or two I gave in “Ok…I’ll stay with you while I find a place to live.” We both grabbed our luggage and headed to famous Los Angeles.

The apartment was gorgeous and huge; there were two bedrooms a big kitchen and a cozy living room. “Wow this place is beautiful…how do you live here alone?”

She smiled as she threw her luggage on the sofa “Oh I don’t my roommate just moved out and into a dorm room on campus. Meanwhile my parents pay her half of the rent…till I get married and move out into a house.”

This girl really had her life all set for her, her parents had money, she was engaged, and I was envious.

“Wow you have everything all set for yourself…that is great I wish I was like that.”

She giggled and patted the sofa for me to sit next to her. “Hey we can order take out and chat…get to know each other. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a friend that I can actually call a friend.”

I smiled and agreed with a nod. We spent the rest of the night just talking about our lives and getting to know each other…and when I came to realize it I had already been living there for three weeks and had gotten to know her very well.

I had met her very handsome and friendly fiancé Trevor, I knew that she had a sister named Tiffany who would also be getting married soon to her long term boyfriend.

We went to school together, worked together, and I was even included in the wedding plans.