- Text Size +
"Hello…hi mom…that is great yes, of course it’s this weekend. You’ll get to meet her then. Bye mother” Becky hung up the phone and turned to look at me, I waited for the big news. What was this weekend?

“Ok now I know that you are home sick and all, but you are my maid of honor…and you have to come down to the resort for the rehearsal dinner.”

WHAT? I yelled, in my mind “But, I really don’t want to be an incon…” she stood up and placed her hands on her hips “Now you are my best friend and I would really like it if you are there. Yes my bitchy sister and her fiancé will be there but…wait a minute…”

Oh god she figured it out, I waiting for the words to come out of her mouth “I have to call them before they leave me hanging” I sighed with relief, not to be mean but I guess blondes are kinda dumb, or what if she knew but she didn’t want to bring it up, because according to her it’s a touchy subject.

“Well pack up girl it’s already Thursday we leave tomorrow after work, Trevor will meet us there”

Trevor was going to meet us there, and by any chance was Tiffany meeting us there two…disgusting “How about your sister and Kevin?”

“Their meeting us there too…I couldn’t get that day off so I’m stuck getting there last.”

I felt so bad, I knew something that was a matter of happiness for two different people and I couldn’t say anything.

“Fine I’ll pack up” I walked glumly into my room “Your acting very weird” she muttered as she entered her room.

We reached the hotel and outside waited that lying, cheating scumbag Trevor “Hi baby…I almost thought you had changed your mind?”

He embedded a kiss on her lips, which made my stomach churn “Hi their Kayla how’s it going?”

Don’t talk to me asshole “Fine thanks…” My stomach was bubbling at the thought of spending a weekend with Tiffany, Kevin, Trevor, and Becky’s parents, it really made me nervous.

“Honey!” I heard an older voice holler from across the nice garden “Daddy” Becky embraced the older man and let him have a couple of kisses on the cheek “Come you must meet my best friend Kayla” she pulled him through the garden and over to me, I wiped my sweaty hands on my jeans.

“This daddy, is Kayla my best friend and maid of honor” he threw me a smile and shook my hand “Nice to meet you Kayla I’m Fred” We began conversing about how excited Becky was about the wedding, and I began to feel bad once again, not only because I knew a horrible secret, but for the reason that I missed my father and my mother.

I had recently spoken to them, but I missed them In general.

“Becky this place is beautiful honey…” the lady kissed Becky’s forehead and hugged her tight “My baby is getting married that is wonderful” the lady looked back “Your sister should be on her way here”

“Mother come meet Kayla my maid of honor” I shook the woman’s hand “I’ve heard so much about you guys, Becky talks about her family all the time.” They smiled proudly at their baby.

I was all unpacked and with nothing else to do, so I decided to head out to the garden for a walk.

As I strolled through, smelling the flowers I caught a glimpse of Trevor and Tiffany making out behind some bushes, I tried to play as though I didn’t see them, but as I backed up I bumped into Kevin.

“Hey there, I thought you were hiding from me”

I was startled and confused “Uh…no I where is your fiance?” I was worried, as I took a glimpse at the spot where I had seen them; they were no longer there.

My worry now was, had they seen me and if they did what would they say or do. “I was bored in my room, decided to come out here and see what there is to do”

I smiled “I know me too. I am sharing rooms with the bride to be but she has disappeared”

We decided to take a seat on a bench and just talk.

“Hey come sit I want to talk to you” I sat down a little scared of what he was going to say “What is going on?” I asked a little impatiently.

“I’m moving…I’m leaving this place for good.”

I felt a rush of heat all through my body “But I’m going to graduate soon, and who am I going to take to the prom?” I began to feel the tears accumulating and a knot growing in my throat.

“Listen don’t be mad at me, I would love to go to another prom with you but I just have to get out of here you know what I mean?”

I stood up “No…I don’t know what you mean…I thought you loved it here I thought we were best friends and that we would be close forever” I ran off…


“So you still space out huh?” Kevin gleamed with a smile “I guess so” I giggled a little embarrassed, ever since he had left I always went deep into my reminiscence and became trapped in there.

“I was meaning to ask you how things were back home?”

He had the nerve to ask me, like his parents didn’t update him “Well normal, for prom Rick the quarter back spiked the punch and well everyone was a little tipsy literally everyone. For graduation he broke his leg while doing a flip after receiving his diploma.”

Kevin laughed, as if he missed being back home, but I wouldn’t ask. “Uh…oh I worked at Millie’s Market for a year with Julie…”

He chuckled in disbelief, “With Julie? You and Julie in the same place?”

I looked at him, as I sarcastically responded “I can be nice you know…she was still an air head let me just say. Well she got married to David…remember David?”

Now he was the surprised one “David, goofy glasses…checkered sweater…president of the math club?”

I nodded with a grin and added, “They also had a baby girl named Cody and guess who her favorite babysitter was?”

We both sat there laughing; suddenly our laughter became awkward silence as we both stared at nothing.

I didn’t know if I should speak or just let the silence flow.

Kevin decided he would break the awkward silence “I met her in Kentucky…a couple of months before I left!” he didn’t even have the nerve to look at me,

I turned to look at him “Why didn’t you just tell me?” he shrugged “I don’t know I was confused…she lived in the city and well I had an idea of how you felt. I didn’t want to make things worse...”

I sighed, why did I feel like such a fool at this moment.

“Just answer this” he turned to look at me “Did you ever feel the way I did?”

I took a swim in his green eyes and felt weak in the knees. Thank God I was sitting down. “Well of course, but you have to remember that you were…are a baby compared to me”

I shook my head “No I’m not your only three almost four years older than me. But anyway that is over its…done”

We continued to stare at nothing “So how does it feel to get married?”

“Uh a little scary…sometimes I think that Tiffany is really different from me, she likes to go to cocktail parties and mingle. I like to stay home, have romantic dinners, talk…not to mention that she is slightly bossy”

we both giggled but were interrupted by the devil, who stood her hands on her hip as though she was his mother. “Kevin I’ve been looking for you for the past hour!"

Damn was she a hypocrite, the past hour she had been swapping spit with Trevor in the bushes!