- Text Size +
I was startled by a crash of thunder, the rain was taking a break now and I was taking advantage to find a way back into the damn party.

As I wandered around I heard some voices; it was Kevin and Tiffany arguing about what, I didn’t know I was to far to make out what they were saying. Damn it, but I watched as she rolled her eyes and did her little hip thing. Then slammed the door in his face, I wondered if he knew that the door automatically locked or maybe this was my chance to get back in.

I waited and then he tugged at the door, I couldn’t help from giggling as he struggled to open it. Was that how dumb I looked trying to open a door that no matter what I did would not open.

With another break of thunder it began to pour again and I thought this time I wouldn’t be rained on alone. “Door locked?” I asked mockingly, Kevin looked at me shocked either I had scared him, or he was just amused at how wet I was.

“What the heck happened to you? Decided to take another shower this evening…?” As we laughed and made fun of each other the rain now soaked us both “You wouldn’t have a suggestion would you?”

I shrugged “Make a run for the hotel”

He sighed, as he looked at the garden all muddy now. “Ok…hey remember when you saw that tornado?”

“Yeah it took my Rocket” he nodded sympathetically “Yeah but I gave you Daisy. Is she still around?”

I nodded “Yes she is daddy’s baby!”

We had decided to make a run for it and so he took my hand in his and we began to run, but we miscalculated how muddy the garden was.

Out of the blue, Kevin fell on his ass and took me along for the fall. We rolled around trying hard to get back on our feet, my shoes were now brown and my hair was filthy, Kevin’s suit was totally ruined but all we could do was laugh uncontrollably, finally he stood up and reached for my hand.

We now ran hand in hand as the rain cleaned the mud off.

It was just like old times, I wondered what I had done to send him away…I wanted to ask but I didn’t want to open a new can of worms. I also wanted to tell him about Tiffany…that she was a slut…a bitch…a whore…we finally arrived at the hotel and stood outside huffing and puffing just staring into each other’s eyes.

I wanted to kiss him badly, but I was afraid that if I did I would ruin the moment. “I’m sorry for ruining your outfit”

“It’s ok…it really wasn’t your fault…” I smiled reassuringly and then he did it, he leaned in and kissed me.

It must have been the longest kiss I had ever received; I felt his warm hands around my waist. I was afraid to respond the way I wanted and then anger flushed through my body and I pulled away “Are you crazy?”

I was angry, why was he playing stupid games like that…couldn’t he tell that my feelings were the same. I ran off without hearing his response, and could hear him calling my name.

The next morning I woke to the sound of Becky barfing in the bathroom, I ran to her “Oh my god are you ok? That doesn’t sound so good” she looked at me her eyes sunk in “I was so fucked up last night” and then she continued her hurling, as my eyes widened at the choice of her words.

I helped her up as she washed her mouth and face; we took a seat on the bed.

“Hey where were you last night, that party was so dull…that all I could do was get drunk. Trevor and my sister were mad at me and well I didn’t care.”

What was I supposed to say to her, tell her that they were only like that with her because they really wanted to be together? I took a deep breath and thought I would give it a try “Have you ever wondered why your sister and Trevor are constantly on your case?” she looked at me startled.

“No, I…why do you know something…are they planning a surprise?”

Surprise alright…where did I go from here…was she really this ignorant “That…I don’t know…but I mean don’t you wonder why they…” and my words were interrupted by Tiffany storming into the room.

“Thank god your ok…I thought you had gotten alcohol poisoning or something…geez”

Becky laughed “No, silly I’m totally fine…I mean I puked on myself and in the toilet more than I could count…but I’m fine.”

Tiffany glared at me “So miss best friend where the hell where you last night?”

With your man, how does it feel to have the tables turned? Not that I was doing anything similar to you.

Becky and I laughed as I told her my story about getting stuck outside in the rain, of course I didn’t mention that I got stuck out there with Kevin or that he had kissed me, although I did think about it a lot.

She suddenly stopped me in the middle of the hall “Now listen I know that this is a lot of stress for you, because you don’t know anyone and because my sister for some reason isn’t very fond of you…but I appreciate you being here.”

Her eyes became watery “Listen actually it turns out that I do know why she…“ but again I was interrupted and now by Trevor who swept by and took her without a word, she turned to look at me and yelled “I love you…and remember I appreciate it.”

I nodded in discontent and continued down the hall I sat at the bar and had a tequila shot “Need guts for something?”

I turned to look and there he was again, here I was trying to avoid anyone that knew about my existence and there he was.

“Hi…no just trying to disappear” he smiled and took a seat at the stool next to me.

“Really your still trying that?”

I couldn’t help but smile, so I tried disappearing a couple of times when we were small and it didn’t work.

“Very funny…it almost worked once.” We laughed, but he quickly changed the subject “Listen I wanted to apologize for last night…”

I didn’t let him finish “Oh don’t worry it’s already forgotten…” I didn’t want him to know that the kiss meant anything to me.