- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey y'all! Sorry it took me so long to update this time! I'd gotten stuck & wanted it to be perfect & pretty much as long as all the other chapters. Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore, gang members, & story idea. The creators or Law & Order own everything else. Thank-you!

Note: Chapter 9 may be a bit, as we are nearing Christmas - but I promise to try & write a little bit to it every night if I can - like I did for this one.

“About time you guys showed up,” Dr. Warner stated, as Elliot and Olivia entered the room. “Was beginning to think I’d have to have you both paged.”

“So what’s the verdict?” Elliot asked moving to stand next to Dr. Warner.

Olivia also moved closer, so she’d be able to see and hear everything. It was crucial both of them heard it all, so that if one forgot something later, the other could remind them.

“There was a lot of bruising on the upper body post mortem, suggesting he was beaten first, and shot later,” Dr. Warner began.

Elliot shook his head “Don’t these kids ever learn?”

“How old was he?” Olivia asked.

“I’d say probably about fifteen, sixteen,” Dr. Warner answered. “Somewhere around there, if not a little older.”

“Cause of death?” Elliot demanded.

“Gun shot wound to the chest,” Dr. Warner replied. “It pierced straight through his heart and out the other side.”

“It came out the other side?” Olivia repeated with raised eyebrows. “We didn’t see any bullets.”

“That’s because we weren’t looking for them, Liv,” Elliot reminded her. “We figured they’d all be in the body.”

“He was shot point blank, what do you expect?” Dr. Warner stated. “And you’re looking for more than one bullet. The one shot between his legs, right where it counts, didn’t stay lodged.”

“Did he die instantly?” Olivia wanted to know.

Dr. Warner shook her head. “The other three bullets hit him first, then the one that killed him.”

“Where else was he shot?” Elliot queried.

“His right shoulder and his lower stomach – both which stay lodged in him, as they twisted and wedged themselves in muscle tissue,” Dr. Warner told them.

Elliot and Olivia nodded in unison, both knowing they’d best get back to the crime scene. Neither could believe they’d missed out on bullets though – as had the crime scene unit.

“Well, we’d better get back to the scene, Liv,” Elliot said. “We have to find those bullets, before somebody else does.”

Olivia nodded her agreement. “Yeah, let’s go.”

“I’ll page you if I find anything else,” Dr. Warner told them.

“Thanks,” Elliot replied, as him and Olivia left the coroner’s office to go back to the alley to find the missing bullets.


Meanwhile Munch and Fin were canvassing the area near the crime scene. They were trying to find someone who would tell them what had gone on the day before in the alleyway. But so far, no such luck – everybody they’d talked to being closed mouthed about everything.

“You think we’ll ever get anyone to talk?” Munch asked his partner. “So far they either no nothing, or they seem to scared to talk.”

“I think there has to be one person around here who’ll be willing to talk,” Fin replied. “No matter how scared they are.”

“I sure hope so,” Munch sighed. “Because so far, Lenore seems like our only hope of ever solving this case.”

“And it’s not like she’s exactly being very helpful either,” Fin stated. “Did you notice how she became closed mouthed when asked certain questions?”

“She seemed more like she was trying to word things properly,” Munch answered. “She did answer the questions – we just might not be asking the right ones. You know, we don’t ask, so she doesn’t tell?”

Fin shook his head. “Well, whatever her reasoning, she better open up soon, before somebody else gets hurts. If that happens, it could look like she was trying to protect them long enough for that to happen.”

Munch shook his head. “You know, I wonder about her sometimes. She always seems like she’s hiding something – what, I don’t know – but still, something.”

“I know what you mean,” Fin agreed. “I know something is bothering her – and it’s not just what happened to cause us to investigate this case.”

“Well, here’s the next house,” Munch said. “Shall we try again?”

“Do we really have a choice?” Fin replied.

The two of them walked up the front steps to the front door of the house they now stood before. They hoped they’d actually get somewhere this time, instead of being lied to and given the run around.

“Hello?” A small voice answered, as the front door opened a crack.

“Hi, we’re Detectives Munch and Fin,” Munch told the young boy. “Are you parents around?”

“They’re busy right now,” the boy answered softly. “I-I hafta go.”

“Are you alone?” Fin asked.

The boy looked around nervously, looking rather worried.

“Why don’t you let us in and we can wait with you until your folks come home?” Munch suggested.

“Can I see your badges?” The boy asked.

Both detectives showed him their badges, and watched as he opened the door for them to come in, quickly locking it behind them.

“Do your folks always leave you home alone?” Munch asked.

The boy shook his head no, as he headed back to where he’d left his gameboy. “No. But they had to work an’ nobody could baby-sit, an’ our relatives live in another state.”

“They do realize it’s not safe to leave you home alone, right?” Fin piped up.

The boy nodded. “They’ve never done it before. But they had no choice.”

“What about friends?” Munch questioned.

The boy shrugged. “I dunno.”

“Do you have a name?” Fin queried.

“Nathaniel,” the boy answered, as he began to play his gameboy once more.

“Well, Nathaniel, what were you doing yesterday afternoon after school?” Munch wanted to know. “Were you outside playing or inside playing your gameboy?”

“I was outside playin’ my gameboy,” Nathaniel replied.

“Did you happen to see or hear anything, Nathaniel?” Fin asked.

Nathaniel paused a moment, then shook his head no. “I’m not ‘llowed to tell you.”

“Why not?” Munch queried. “We can protect your family, you know.”

“No you can’t,” Nathaniel answered. “Dad says you guys are only good at protecting rich folk, who got fancy cars. You don’t care about us who’re stuck livin’ here. An’ the only reason you’re here now is ‘cause that cop’s kid is involved.”

Both Detectives frowned upon hearing that. The case wasn’t in the papers, nor had any details been released – especially the one about Lenore living with Elliot.

“How do you know it’s a cop’s kid?” Munch interrogated.

“‘Cause every time she comes ‘round here, she likes to tell people who she lives with,” Nathaniel replied. “‘Less the gang’s nearby, then she’s acts all bad an’ stuff an’ hangs with ‘em.”

Munch and Fin both tried to hide their surprise. No wonder Lenore wasn’t telling them anything – she’d been in this area before and was actually trying to hang out with the gang. Just wait until Elliot found out – he was going to hit the roof!