- Text Size +
“Gennie! What’s Athens like?” Chloe’s excited voice chirped in her ear.

Geneva turned to stare out the window at the wide expanse of pure white beach and the bodies that lounged on it. Brian had been right about his Athens resort being incredible. It was more than she’d ever thought it would be. But then, it was a Littrell resort, so it was meant to be that way.

Just like Brian.

“It’s beautiful, Chloe. I’m sorry you couldn’t come out with us.” She turned to study herself in the mirror. She’d chopped off the long hair, so it sat on her shoulders now. It made her face seem less gaunt. In fact, everything about her seemed less gaunt. She’d been eating again, and, somehow, she’d started gaining weight. No, she corrected herself. Not somehow.

Because of Brian.

“It’s okay. I’ll live vicariously through the pictures and stories you and Brian bring back for me.” Chloe hoped they’d be incredible. Geneva deserved some of the incredible, and, if Brian’s feelings were any indication, she’d have more of incredible than she could handle. Soon. “Anyway, I have to get to work. It’s eight in the morning here, so I figure it’s, what, three in the afternoon there?”

“Yeah, it is.”

“Great! There’s still time for you to go and hang out on the beach. Go pick up some beautiful Greek beach hunks. They’ll never know what hit them!”

Geneva laughed, meaning it. “Thanks, Chloe. Maybe I will. I’ll see you when we get back.”

Once she’d hung up, she stood and watched the beautiful people on the beautiful beach and decided to stay out of the way. She pushed open the door to her balcony and stepped onto it. The warm air hit her, and she breathed it in. It was perfect. Everything here was perfect.

Brian had made her dream come true. And, she thought, sinking into a wrought-iron chair, he’d made so much of her life better. It had begun the night she’d inadvertently spilled her feelings to him. He’d stayed with her through the night and the following weeks. During finals week, he’d stuck by her side, as close as possible, to make certain she wasn’t stressing too much. And she hadn’t. He hadn’t let her.

Just as he hadn’t let her slide into the looming pit of dark despair. “I believe in you” he’d told her. And he’d stuck to that promise until she believed it, too.

“This is a pretty sight.”

Geneva turned toward the door and found the man who’d been occupying her mind. He leaned against the door and smiled at her. His dark blond curls shone in the slivers of sunlight that fell on it. She wanted to trace the smattering of crinkles around his eyes, and her breath caught as she truly saw how beautiful he was.

Everything in her stretched and longed for more.

“Everything here is a pretty sight,” she replied and held out a hand in invitation. When he took it and sat, she smiled at him. “So, how’s the work of the resort owner going?”

He squeezed her hand and wished he could tell her what he was feeling. “There have been no problems so far. Except that it appears all hell has broken loose in preparation for the opening gala tonight.”

“So how are you sitting up here, unaffected?”

Brian lifted a shoulder. “I’ve got very competent managers. I know exactly what’s going on downstairs and have left it in their hands. If there’s a problem, I’ll know.”

“Wow. You’re a pretty powerful man, Brian Littrell.” Geneva grinned and patted his cheek. “I’m proud of you for pulling this one off on your own.”

He was proud of himself, too. It was the first resort he’d worked on without the help of his father. All of the decisions had been made by him, and the biggest reward, he decided, that he could’ve received was her approval.

“Are you ready for tonight?” he asked.

“I guess you’ll see for yourself in a couple of hours,” she replied with a mischievous smile.

His brow rose. “Should I be afraid?”

“Prepare to be knocked off your feet.”

I already am. But he couldn’t say it. Not yet.