- Text Size +
“Does D know why she’s here?” Nick whispered to AJ as they sat in the waiting room and watched Howie pace.

AJ shrugged. “I don’t think so. I mean, if he knew what was wrong, wouldn’t he be in the doctors’ faces finding out what would fix her?”

Nick sighed. “I can’t believe he’s still in love with her even after everything she’s put him through in the past year.”

“I know,” AJ murmured. “If Rosalie doesn’t believe in what’s between them after this, I think D should definitely kick her to the curb.”

Nick nodded. If he’d been with a woman who put him through hell, he didn’t know if he would still put up with her. Howie was definitely a stronger man than he.

Next to Nick, Brian leaned over to Leighanne. “If I didn’t believe in Christmas miracles before now, I’d definitely be a believer after this.”

She smiled and looked down at Ariella, who was curled up in a chair between her and Kristin. “I think Ella’s dreams might come true. You know all she wants is her parents together on Christmas.”

Brian smiled, too. “Yeah. Well, let’s hope Rosa doesn’t screw this one up.”

Howie couldn’t imagine what was going on with Rosa. Where had she been all this time? Still in the city? Why had she left and what had landed her in the hospital? The doctors hadn’t told him anything as yet, except that Rosalie was being worked on. And what the hell did that mean?

Kevin placed a hand on his shoulder. “D, calm down. I think you’re scaring Ella more than she needs to be scared. The doctors will tell you what’s going on soon.”

Howie bit his lip, trying not to scream in frustration. Kevin was right. He needed to stay calm for Ariella. She was scared enough as it was without him going ballistic, too.

“Okay,” he murmured. “Calming down, starting now.”

As he turned to check on his daughter, a nurse stepped into the waiting room and brought his attention to her.

“Mr. Dorough, come with me, please,” she gestured towards the down the hallway.

Howie nodded and turned to Kevin. “Take care of Ella.”

Kevin opened his mouth to reassure his friend, but Howie was already gone. “Good luck, man.”

Howie followed the nurse and tried to find out where they were going and what was wrong with Rosa, but the nurse kept telling him that he’d soon see. They took the elevator up to the fourth floor, Howie noted.

When the nurse directed him to a room six doors down from the nurses’ station, he hurried towards it all the while hoping that whatever he found behind the door didn’t include the woman he loved dying.

Taking a deep breath, he pushed open the door and felt his breath catch.

“Rosa?”