- Text Size +
AJ was still sitting on my bed but now he was also talking on my phone. For as long as I remember, my room has always been the hangout room, from the time we shared until now. I don't why? Maybe I had the coolest stuff! I bet all the video games didn't hurt either. I remember, when I would be sent to bed, which didn't happen often, I would hear the guys playing my games until all hours of the night. Especially Kevin, who would make it a point during the day to tell me I was spending too much time in front of the screen.

He would be the loudest cussing at the games until someone would hush him. I just would laugh into my pillow. Kevin a kid at heart although he would die before admitting it. Kev's ears must have been ringing because before you knew it, there was another loud knock at the door. I got up from watching AJ talk to Sarah on MY phone and opened up.

"Nick! How many times do I have to tell you to ask who it is first? God Nick have long have we been at this now? I could have been a press person, a fan or worse yet, a psycho!"

"Hi, Kevin nice to see you too and you are a psycho!

"Hey!"

"Sorry, you walked into that one"

Kevin walked in to see J on my phone, then he turned around and looked at me. Uh oh I'm gonna get yelled at! I can feel it.

"Nick?"

"Uh huh?"

"You aren't gonna wear that to the party are you?"

"Oh yes, Kev of course I am, why? Don't you think that sweats are in?"

"Why do you always have to be such a smart ass?" He asked me smirking.

"I don't know, it's just a talent I have"

"Yeah well, you need to get that smart ass of yours into a nice outfit and soon!" He began snapping at me. God I hate it when he does that. He thinks if he snaps, It will make me go faster. So of course I had to snap back. The two of us snapping at each other like we were in a duel while poor AJ was trying to use the phone. Looking at us like we were crazy.

"Okay well, Sarah I gotta go, I can barely hear you over all the SNAPPING!" He hung up the phone. "Aw, what's going on is daddy breaking up our party?"

"Yes he is" Kevin turned to AJ, "J you look very dapper tonight! Love the hat"

"Thanks man, you look great too, and thank goodness no man dress!" I laughed.

"Leave the man skirt alone, I wore it once in a moment of weakness!" He then threw my suit that was laying over one of my chairs at me, "Go change now go! go! go!" He shuffled me to the bathroom. I laughed the whole way in.

Kevin has always cracked me up, always. "Hey little man?"

"Yup?"

"You do have undies in there right?"

"Uh Kev, that's none of your business!"

"It is when press gets pictures of your naked ass!" I laughed again.

"I am wearing underwear okay? Geez!"

"Good glad to hear it! Hallelujah the boy is wearing underpants! " He shouted to AJ.

I sat on the toilet bowl just thinking about how it was for Kevin and I in the beginning. Rocky for the most part, but always protective. I used to be so afraid of this gigantic guy. So much older than me, always seeming annoyed with every word uttered out of my mouth. I thought he hated me. I really did. He was always so short with me, when I would try to strike up a conversation, he would walk away. That was until he had to nag me about something.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"I don't hear movement in there Nick! You better be getting dressed!" I laughed again.
~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
"Well? Are you almost ready kid? You are gonna make us late AGAIN!!" Kevin yelled at me while I hustled to get my pants on. I was rushing so much that I accidentally put both feet in the same pant leg plummeting to the floor "OW Gosh dangit!"

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Are you okay in there? Nick? Are you okay?" Oh my God he was driving me crazy! Nuts! absolutely bonkers!

"Yes, I'm fine, I just fell"

"Fell? In the bathroom?"

"Yes in the bathroom, where else would I have fallen" Dumbass!

"How in the hell did you manage to fall in there? There's hardly even room to pee let alone fall?"

"Oh I think it might be because a certain somebody, who shall remain nameless, kept insisting that I rush so I tripped and fell"

Laughter was heard echoing through the bus. Why did they all find me their comic relief? Why?

"Okay, well hurry up we are already five minutes late!"

"You are hounding me just because we are five minutes late? Five stinking minutes?"

"To be on time is to be late Nick! Let's get a move on now!!!" I finished dressing and ran out of the bus and joined the other guys.

We had a television interview for some talk show, I never understood why we went to those because no one understood a word we said. It made no sense, but whatever Lou said we did. So here we were on this cheesy sound stage getting make up on while we prepped for this interview. I fidgeted in the seat as the make up lady kept layering on the cover up.

"Stop moving" Kevin warned me as he pointed his finger at me. I wanted to grab it and rip it off. I was having an anti Kevin type of day. I was thrown out onto the stage and went to sit by Brian only to have Kevin come and sit in between us. "There will be NO fooling around kid, do you understand?"

"Yes" I said in a mocking high tone while at the same time making a face. I ended by sticking my tongue out at him.

He rolled his eyes at me and faced forward. The interview lasted for all of fifteen minutes with this lady who was hanging all over Howie. It was so funny. Howie kept looking every which way just to escape her gaze. She asked all the typical stupid questions but liked getting personal. She asked us all when we lost our virginity's! I was happy I was at the end of the line. When Howie answered her, she basically offered herself up to him, AJ made some smart ass comment, I ignored because I was having anxiety about what I was gonna say.

I could stay the innocent sweet Nick, the one who had no idea of what sex was, or I could tell the truth, "Yes well, I lost mine, at a photoshoot with a supermodel." The next thing I knew all eyes were on me, I hadn't even heard Kevin or Brian say a word. I gulped but Kevin jumped in. "Actually, this question is completely inappropriate for him to answer" Thank You Kevin! I smiled at her as she glared at my savior.

We had gotten back to the bus and were relieved to find out our night was free. We were going to have a concert, but at the last minute, the venue was double booked, since they paid Lou anyway, he decided to give us the night off. The first one in about one month. Immediately, Kevin, Howie, Brian and AJ all started to get ready for clubbing. So I did too. I had promised myself that the next time they did that I would force them to take me with them!

I came out fully dressed and spiffy If I did say so myself. I had borrowed some of D's cologne and I stunk up the entire bus.

"Where do you think you are going?" Howie asked me when he saw me in my attire.

"Yeah do you have a hot date or something?" AJ added.

"I'm going with you guys" They looked at each other and laughed.

"I don't think so Kaos" J said as he put on his boots.

"Why? I am only two years younger than you! Why do you get to go and I don't?"

"Because the legal age here is 18"

"You are only 17!"

"But Nicky, that's only a year if even. There is a bit more than one year separating you from this club. Sorry buddy" Howie always trying to let me down gently.

"That's not fair! Why can't we just go somewhere that let's people my age in?"

"Because the zoo isn't open right now!"

"Hey! Not nice Brian!"

"Sorry, couldn't resist"

"Why don't you stay home with me? We can play Nintendo and eat pizza, it will be fun"

"I kinda feel like going out buddy. Don't be mad!"

"I won't be" Not at you anyway, "So.." Now I was in evil mode, "Who's gonna baby-sit me then? Surely you can't let me stay all alone!"

"You won't be" Kevin said walking in from the bathroom, "Hans, will be here" I rolled my eyes.

"Great..the bus driver is my baby-sitter? Just excellent!"

"Don't you think that maybe it should be someone who...I don't know...speaks English maybe?" I said as slow and sarcastically as possible, "All Hans can say is I am feet that you are cheese! Boy that will help in a crisis situation!" They all laughed but I was being serious.

"Nick, it's only gonna be for a few hours, you can suck it up and stay out of trouble that long correct?" Kevin could be so condescending sometimes.

"I guess" I huffed.

"Okay then we will be back soon, this is where we will be, but don't call us, If I get one stupid crank call for me I will bust your ass! Got it?" I rolled my eyes at Kevin again, "Yes sir Kevin sir!" I saluted him for extra smart ass effect! He turned and walked out the door. They all waved as they left with AJ sticking his middle finger up at me just as he walked out the door!

"Oh yeah? Well, same to you buddy!" I pouted and plopped on the couch, deciding to play some video games.

After beating Zelda for the umpteenth time I had developed a plan, a plan that would make Lucy and Ethel jealous, I was gonna go to the club. I never changed out of my nice clothes so trying to trick Hans wouldn't be that hard. My goal was to get Hans to drive me to the club. Yes I am brilliant! Go me!!!

I ventured to the front of the bus where Hans was reading a magazine. I tapped him on the shoulder, "Hello" He said and smiled. This guy was so nice. I was feeling bad. I did it anyway though, "Hello Hans, listen I have to meet the rest of the guys now"

"Was sagen sie?" Hans said as he looked confused, "Um...yeah right what ever you said, We need to go to the club, you know the club where Kevin and the guys went to" I was trying to use hand gestures so he would understand me. He wasn't.

"Club, you know..uh..dance club" I started to dance hoping he would get it. He didn't.

"Club, C-L-U-B..club!" I was jumping up and down now, totally cracking the guy up.

"Nick want to go to Hersgabaten?" I looked down at the number that Kevin had left me and sure enough the name of the club was Hersgabaten. I smiled "Yes"

"Well, why did you not just say that then!" He said! I gave him a look and rolled my eyes and before I knew it, we were on the way to the club.

"Thanks Hans" I said as I left the bus, he drove back to our regular location just in case Lou or someone else were to show up. The place was hopping, from the looks of it anyway. There was a huge line to get in and there were people everywhere, smoking, drinking and making out!

I brushed my hair back with my hands and took my place in line. I decided to put on some shades for an extra cool look. I waited for about an hour before finally getting to the front door. I tried to walk in but was stopped. The big man asked me for ID I started to rustle through my pockets pretending to look for my ID, then I shrugged, "Must have forgotten it, sorry" I took a step forward and he grabbed me by the collar and pushed me back. That was my club experience. I walked away as the people making out snickered at me.

I leaned against the club's wall looking at my watch, great, now not only did I NOT get in, but I was gonna get in SO much trouble. It didn't seem worth it. What a dumb idea!
I sat down and tried to make myself invisible.

"Hey!"

I looked up and saw a guy coming towards me. He seemed friendly enough, around Kevin's age. He was wearing a smile, but as he got closer I smelled the alcohol on his breath.

"Hey kid, nice watch" He said to me. I grasped onto it nervously "Thanks"

"Can I see it?" I held it up very leary of how this was going. Sure enough the guy grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him. I was just about to scream but he placed a hand over my mouth.

"SHH no one needs to scream, this is what you are gonna do son, you are gonna give me that watch and anything in your wallet you understand?" I nodded petrified.

"LET HIM GO!!!" I heard a familiar and welcome voice and turned to see Kevin and Howie standing there. He dropped me. "Easy buddy, I was just admiring the kids watch"

"Nick get over here now!" I walked over to Kevin thankfully and stepped on the guys foot on my way over. Kevin grabbed me and placed me behind him and Howie, "Now, are we gonna have a problem or are you gonna leave us alone?" The guy thought about it for a second, held up his hands in defeat and walked away.

I let out a huge sigh of relief, it didn't last long, Kevin grabbed me and growled "What the hell are you doing here? What if we hadn't shown up? What were you thinking? Do you ever think? EVER?" I apologized to him, "Nick this isn't a game, you could have been hurt, I mean the guy had you right where he wanted you, you have to think."

"I know I said I was sorry, I just want to go home now okay?" I was crying. Yes again! He eased up and walked me to the van they took to the club. "You want me to get the rest of the guys?" Howie asked Kevin. Kev shook his head, "Nah, you guys stay, Nick and I are gonna head back to the bus and have us a talk. A long long talk" Uh-oh

I changed into my pajama's as Kevin made us some hot cocoa. I sat across from him as he handed me the warm drink. "Feeling better now?" He asked me. I just nodded, blowing to cool down my drink.

"Nick, what were you thinking going to the club? You know better than that. AJ I would expect that from but not you"

"I felt left out"

"That doesn't excuse that behavior Nick, you crossed the line from being immature to not being safe. You cannot cross that line kiddo! Not in this business" His look was serious, his demeanor calm but yet concerned. He was angry but I knew it was out of fear for what could have happened. He was right, I was dumb.

He sat and lectured me about safety and I listened to him sometimes blocking him out, but always coming back at the critical moments. He was a good man Kevin. He tried so hard, a perfectionist in every single way. He was my brother though and I looked up to him. After his epic lecture, the first one of many many more to come..we sat and I taught him how to beat Zelda. He acted like he couldn't care less, but I knew better. As soon as I was asleep he would be sitting here in front of the television trying the moves that I had showed him. Like a child.

I fell asleep on the couch by the time the rest of the guys found their way home. I listened half in a dream state half out as he told the guys what had happened, I heard Brian's concerned gasps. I smiled. I also felt Kevin wrap me up in a blanket and tell me he loved me. Corny I know but I enjoyed it. Because even though he drove me nuts! I loved him too. Like a dad shhh but don't tell anyone I said that! Especially him...