- Text Size +
Chapter 5

Madison smiled when she finished brushing her hair back into a pony-tail as she looked at herself in the mirror. Nick had left for his meeting a few hours before. She didn't remember much about him leaving since it had been early when he woke. After putting on her jacket, she grabbed the keys to the car and walked out of the hotel room.

She arrived at the garage pretty quickly. She hadn't made any plans for today and she wasn't even sure where she was going to begin with, but she knew it would be better than staying alone in the hotel for the entire day. Madison pulled out of the garage and turned on the radio. There was nothing more she wanted to do then was to forget about the world for a day and have some fun.

Yesterday she had brought much more than she needed and she was aware of that. This fact took shopping out of the list of things that she could do in the city. A small smile spread on her face when "Help Me" came onto the radio. Nick really loved that song because it was his first single and he had worked hard to get where he was today. Needless to say, she was proud of him as well as excited for him. She had seen him start this project and she'd be there to see him end it.

Madison sighed as she caught yet another red light. Today appeared to be one of those days were nothing seemed to go right and it was only just beginning. She drumed her fingers against the steering wheel as she waited for the light to change. She put her foot on the gas as the light turned green. Then it happened.

The screeching sound of tires despraitely trying to come to a halt echoed through the streets. A loud bang erupted as the two cars collided with each other. Screams emanated from witnesses on the streets.

"Some one call 911!" One man yelled as he ran towards the wreckage to tend to the victims. He forcefully opened the door to the rental car that Madison was in. Checking for a pulse, he called, "She's alive." Blood was trickling down her face. She moaned in pain as the man made his way towards the other car. "He's got a weak pulse," he informed the crowd that had gathered. The sounds of the screaming sirens caused the crowd to part to make room.

Nick ran his fingers through his hair as he listened to some execuite of something go on about one thing or another, he had stopped paying attention long ago. He surpressed a sigh that threatened to escape his lips. Relief filled Nicks senses when a knock came at the door.

"Sorry to bother you but this is urgent," the young woman informed them. "Mr. Carter, you've got an important phone call that you must take."

"Alright," Nick answered, puzzled by the statement. "I'll be right back." The men in the room nodded and Nick walked out and followed the woman until they reached an office where Nick could take his call in private.

"Hello?" Nick answered as he picked up the phone and placed it next to his ear.

"Is this Nick Carter?" a male voice asked.

"Yes it is. Who's speaking??" he asked.

"I'm Doctor O' Neill from NYU medical center," he informed Nick.

"Medical center?" Nick questioned.

"Yes, your girlfriend Madison Hall has been in a very serious car accident."

"Car accident?" Nick repeated, his face paling. "Is... is she okay?"

"It's too early to diagnose the full extent of the damage done. Come down to the hospital and I'll explain everything that I know."

"O...ok," Nick stuttered as he hung up the phone and made his way back to the conference room he had been in moments before his world came crashing down around him. Nick threw the doors open causing them to hit into the wall creating a loud bang.

"This meeting is over," Nick announced and turned to leave.

"We've got a lot more to go over," one of the men called to him. Nick stopped and turned in his tracks. Rage in his eyes he walked back towards them.

"My girlfriend was just in a car accident so fuck you! I'm going to the hospital," Nick stated and turned to leave once again, this time there were no objections from the men sitting in the room. Nick stormed out of the building, grabbing his bodyguard to give him a ride. Nick sat impatiently in the passanger seat of the car as they headed towards the medical center. All Nick could think about was Madison. He had no idea what condition she was in.

He didn't know if he was going to see her with just a few visible cuts and scratches or if she would look completely different than the woman that he had come to know and love. Nick stared absently through the window. Fearing what he was about to see and hear, Nick tired to calm himself but to no avail.

"Want to tell me what happened?" his bodyguard, Rick, asked.

"I don't know what happened," Nick answered, keeping his eyes fixed on the building that they passed as the car moved towards the hospital.

"People don't just up and go to the hospital for no reason," he stated.

"Madison was in a car accident," Nick replied. "They just called me and asked me to come down to the hospital. That's all I know."

"Shit, I heard about a car accident over the police radio too. Sounded like it was pretty bad. Both victims were really banged up," he said.

"You don't think it was the accident that Maddy was in, do you?" Nick asked, turning his complete attention to Rick. Wanting to know everything that he knew.

"It might have been Nick. I couldn't tell. They didn't say any names."

"What did you hear about the people in the cars?"

"Two victims. Male and female."

"How were they?"

"The male was DOA and the female.. they didn't say," he answered reluctantly. He knew that Nick believed that he had heard about Madison's accident.

"DOA?"

"Dead on Arrival."

"Fuck," Nick groaned as he let his head fall into his hands. Rick glanced over at Nick. He could see the pain on his face. He wanted to tell him that it might not have been Madison. That in a city like New York, more than one accident had to have happened and that there was a chance that Madison was just fine and they were going to walk right out of the hospital with her.

"It's going to be okay," he finally settled on. Nick let an uneasy laugh escape him.

"Yeah you can say that because you don't have to worry about this shit. You said it yourself that the accident sounded pretty bad. Someone is already dead. How do we know that Madison isn't clinging to life and might die at any second?!" Nick yelled.

"If that were true, don't you think that they doctor would have told you that?"

"Maybe he wanted to wait until I was at the hospital before he told me just in case I had some break down or something I wouldn't have far to go," Nick snapped.

"Look, you don't have to catch a fucking attitude with me. I'm just trying to fucking help you alright?"

"I'm sorry," Nick muttered. "This is just a lot."

"It's okay kid. We're here," Rick stated.