- Text Size +
Chapter 6

"Nick Carter," Nick stated again. "My name is Nick Carter. Doctor O' Neill called me and asked me to come down here," Nick sighed as he found that he had been repeating himself since he had arrived at the hospital.

"Who are you here to see?" an older nurse behind the desk asked. He bit his tounge knowing he was about to become very angry with the entire situation before him.

"Madison Hall," he informed her. She nodded.

"Is there any relation?" she asked as she sat down at the computer at the desk before her.

"No, she's my girlfriend," he answered, ready to sigh in relief that someone was about to tell him where Madison was

"I'm not sure if that is acceptable," she said softly.

"Look," Nick said as he leand against the desk. "Doctor O' Neill called me and told me to come down here. He asked for Nick Carter so he got Nick Carter. Now are you going to let me see my girlfriend?"

"I'm going to page Doctor O' Neill and see what he says about this," she commented as she reached for the phone next to her. Nick turned out and crossed his arms in front of his chest in anger. As soon as he spoke to this doctor, he was going to have her moved out of this hospital to another one where he wouldn't have to go through all of this just to see her.

He shifted anxiously as he stood against the desk. This was taking way too much time. The doctor should have told these nurses that he was coming and not to give him a hard time, Nick thought. No! What happens? He ends up in the lobby of a damn hospital about to get into a fight with a nurse who only seems interested in giving him the run around.

Nick started tapping his foot against the floor as he continued to wait. It angered him to know that they were the ones that called him and told him to come down that it was important but yet they kept him waiting. He was standing in the middle of a hospital in the middle of New York City, any crazed fan could walk right in and they were really going to have a problem on their hands then. That was of course if Nick hadn't gone completely bizurke by then.

"Mr. Carter?" a man asked. Nick looked over to see an older man dressed in the usual medical apparel standing next to him.

"Yes," Nick answered, hoping this was the man that he was supposed to see. "That's me."

"I'm Doctor O' Neill," he replied. Nick lossened up, finally glad that something was happening. The doctor extened his hand.

"How is Madison?" Nick asked nervously, shaking the doctors hand.

"Let's go to my office and we'll talk there," he stated as he started to walk down the hallway, Nick following close behind.

"She's not dead is she?"

"No she's not Mr. Carter," the doctor answered. Nick sighed.

"Thank god," he muttered under his breath.

"Please sit down," he doctor said as they walked into the office. Nick sat down on one of the chairs facing the doctors desk. His blue eyes were now clouded over in worry. "Mrs. Hall sustained a very tramatic blow in the accident."

"What?" Nick questioned. He was too shaken up to be able to understand what the doctor was telling him. Nick let out a deep breath and relaxed against the chair.

"When the cars collided, her head hit against something in the car. That resulted in some swelling which added pressure on the brain stem. This swelling often results in amnesia. I can't tell you to the extent of the damage to the brain until she wakes up so you could either have a very slight case of amnesia or a very severe case. That's if she's lucky, Mr. Carter. If not, she could have sustained perminate brain damage which would change her entire life and there might be the possibility that she could become brain dead."

"No you can't... that can't be right.." Nick stuttered. "You... you could be wrong, right?"

"Mr. Carter, I examined that young woman myself and there are obvious signs of trama. I can't tell you for sure what the result is going to be considering all cases are different, but I can tell you that I know what I saw."

"She hasn't woken up since she got here?"

"That's correct."

"What does that mean? How long is she going to be out?"

"We don't know. But the good thing is from the brain scans we took, her brain is active which is a good sign. She has a minor concussion and that may have been what caused her to black out. I have nurses attending to her all day and all night so if anything happens, we'll know about it."

"She's not going to die, is she?" Nick asked.

"She appears to be in pretty good shape. The most serious injury was the one to her brain stem, most everything else is cuts and bruises, nothing life threatening."

"So you're saying that there is a good chance that she is going to be just fine?"

"Yes, that is a possibility."

"The guy in the other car died though, right?" Nick questioned. The doctor nodded. "What was different about Madison? Why did only the one guy die?"

"He wasn't wearing his seatbelt, it's as simple as that. The impact could have been lessened if he had something restraining him. His body had the freedom to be tossed around the car with no restriction. Madison was wearing her seatbelt, that's what saved her," the doctor explained. Nick nodded and relaxed. Everything was going to be alright.

"Can I see her?" Nick asked. "I know she can't talk but I just want to see her."

"Alright, follow me," the doctor stated as they walked out of his office.

"I want to thank you for taking care of Madison. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost her," Nick commented.

"I was just doing my job," he replied. "But if you want to thank someone, you should thank the gentalman that was with her at the scene. He made sure that she wasn't hurt anymore than she was."

"Is this guy here? I want to talk to him."

"He's still here. He wanted to talk to you so we have him waiting outside of Ms. Hall's room. He was the one that shouted for someone to call 911 because he was first on the scene."

"So what's his name? What do you know about him?"

"I don't know, but you can ask him yourself," the doctor answered as they turned the corner and stopped outside of a room that Nick believed to be Madisons.

"Kevin?" Nick said, shocked.