- Text Size +
Chapter 7

"Nick, I'm sorry that I didn't call you right away, I just wanted to make sure that Madison got safely to the hospital," Kevin stated, hoping to clam Nick down some. The last thing either of them needed was to have an argument in the middle of the hospital, which they both knew could be a possibility with their at times flaring tempers.

"Well I assume that the two of you know each other," Doctor O' Neill replied upon hearing Kevins statement. Nick nodded to inform him that he was correct. "So I'll leave you two to talk."

"What the hell happened out there?" Nick questioned angerly, attempting to keep himself from yelling as he moved closer towards Kevin.

"I don't know," he answered softly. "I was walking down the street and then I heard a crash and I went to see if anyone was hurt and that's when I saw Madison and yelled for someone to call 911. That's it."

"Why the hell didn't you call me!? I know you were worried but fuck how much would it have taken to call my cell?"

"Look Nick between the doctors and the police asking me questions I didn't have much time, okay? By the time that I had a second to call you, the nurse told me that they had already called adn that you were on your way here," he explained. "They called you, you're here and that's what that matters."

"Sorry," Nick replied with a sigh.

"It's okay little bro. This is a lot to deal with," he answered. "I knew you'd be a little crazy."

"Have you seen her?"

"Not since before we got here."

"How was she?"

"The doctors said she looked good considering what she had just gone through," he stated. Nick looked at Kevin and shook his head, still in disbelief.

"Did she say anything to you?"

"No. I don't even think she knew it was me. She was really out of it, actually, now that I think about it, I don't even think she was awake when I found her." He looked at Nick who looked more upset than he had ever seen him before. Kevin surpressed a sigh and then spoke. "So what did the doctor say to you about her condition?"

"He said that she might have some brain damage," he replied, his voice barely a whisper. "Amnesia, he said, seems likely. That is if she doesn't have any serious brain damage. He said that the only way that they would know for sure is when she wakes up."

"Madison is a strong girl, she'll pull through this just fine," Kevin said hoping to encourage Nick. "She survived the crash and that was the worst of it. Everything else from here gets easier."

"It's not easier if she doesn't know who I am," Nick muttered bitterly.

"Don't get yourself all worked up over something that might not even happen. For all we know she can wake up and there's not going to be a problem."

"I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst because she can forget everything okay? I don't want to get myself all excited about this and then having her wake up sick," Nick said angerly. "You can't tell me that this is easy or that everything is going to be okay because you have no fucking clue. Not even the doctor can assure me she's going to be okay!"

"Relax kid," Kevin said calmly. "Don't get yourself all worked up over this alright? Madison needs you to be strong, okay?"

"Can I go in and see her? I really want to see her," Nick stated, looking towards Madison's door. Part of him didn't want to see the damage that lay beyond that door. He didn't want to see Madison when she was at this low point in her life. She was always strong. Nick had never seen her reach a low point since he had known her. Then he wanted to go in there. He wanted to let her know that he was there for her even when things were bad, even when he was scared.

"Yeah, it's okay I guess," Kevin replied stepping aside.

"How does she look?" Nick asked as his hand gripped the door knob tightly. Kevin looked towards Nick who still faced the doorway, looking fearful of the sight that he may have to face once entering and preparing for the worst.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? Weren't you there when they brought her hear?"

"Yeah I was there but I wasn't too concerned with how she looked and besides I didn't really get a good look at her. I was more concerned in making sure that she made it to the hospital," Kevin answered.

"I'm sorry," Nick replied rubbing his eyes and taking a second to think about the situation that he now found himseld in. He should not be fighting with Kevin and he knew that. Nick was just so angry and knew no other ways to take out his fustration. "I'm just..."

"It's okay," Kevin interrupted. "Just go in and see her." Nick nodded. He gripped the door knob for a second, gathering his courage before entering. Once Nick was inside of Madisons room, he shut the door and slowly made his way towards her, wanting to be close to her. Needing to see her dispite all of his reservations. Fear was only one of the emotions that were coursing through his veins. Anger was another. He was angry that something like this could happen; did happen to someone that he loved.

"Maddy," Nick said softly, his voice coming out a dry, horse whisper. "It's Nick. I'm here for you baby." Nick stopped talking and walked right next to Madison's bed. He looked down at her with tears in his eyes. He didn't want to see her like this. He didn't want to see her in this much pain nor did he want to see her so helpless, so lost. Nick wrapped his hands around the railing of the bed, keeping his eyes locked on Madison's sleeping form.

"Maddy, please, if you can hear me, give me some sort of sign," he stated hopefully, sighing with dissappointment after waiting and recieveing nothing. "It's okay," Nick continued. "I'll wait here for you for as long as you need me to. Everything else can wait. It's not as important as you." He nodded at his last statement. He wasn't going to leave until he knew that Madison was going to be okay, which was his main, and only, concern at the moment.

Nick let himself fall onto the chair that was next to the bed. All of this had occured in less than an hour but he was already beginning to feel the physical affects. He was so drained from worrying about Madison that he let his eyes fall shut. Who would say anything? He was there to be by his girlfriends side, he had a reason to be there. Surely, they wouldn't make him leave her when she was like this. He needed to know that she was alright, he had to see it for himself, he couldn't just hear it over the phone. It only took a few seconds before Nick fell asleep on the chair with the tradtional hopsital sounds in the background luling him to sleep.