- Text Size +
Brian stood at the kitchen counter studying his choices, he lowered his head onto his arms so he could be at eye level with all the small pastel colored cans.... Lets see, he had powdered formula, ready to use formula, and concentrate. Then within those categories he had soy, cow, or lactose-free. Within those categories he had his choices of iron levels. He let out a loudsuspiration and raised his head with a groan, if only he hadn't of thrown out that damn breast milk! How was he supposed to know she would put it in a jug like the regular whole milk. He'd poured himself a nice big glass, took himself a nice big gulp, and had spit it out all over kitchen table. He'd thought the milk had gone rancid, and he poured it all down the drain, grimacing at the remnants of the taste still in his mouth and at the yellow tint he then discovered it had. He had gone and brushed his teeth twice, and continued washing out the then empty jug. After he'd washed it, he turned it over just before tossing it in the trash and read the pretty label, "Balyee's Milk."

If that wasn't enough to make him want to go brush his teeth again...he'd shuddered. Then panicked, oh no... Leighanne had left that morning to go to LA to follow up on a call back, and participate in the cold reading. Brian wasn't as supportive as he should have been, he really didn't feel she should leave the baby...alone with him. He just knew he was gonna mess up and drop poor little Baylee on his head, or forget to burp him and he'd explode. After he had been assured that he was a competent parent, Leighanne had packed her bags and left that morning, leaving Baylee in the care of a trusted nanny, until Brian returned home that evening after putting in his last vocals for the next Backstreet album.

He'd been fine up until he'd thrown away Baylee's dinner. So in a panic, he wrapped his son up, and rushed to the local grocery store. He was rather proud to say that it had only taken him 30 minutes to figure out how to strap Baylee safely into his car seat that time! He remembered one of his previous fiascos where he'd had to call Leighanne's mother for help after he'd succeeded in buckling Baylee in upside down, and had gotten his hand buckled into the mixture some how as well. It was a fine fix, and he was glad Leighanne's mother was the nice type who kept things to herself, though he could have lived without seeing that smirk on her face as she undid him from the mess, and strapped Baylee in properly. Well at least Baylee always seemed to enjoy his Daddy's blunders. Who said infants couldn't laugh?

After that incident he would never call Leighanne's mother again for help, but he sure could have used it... He'd ended up in the baby food aisle surrounded by mountains of different brands and types of baby formula. He was totally clueless as to what some of the stuff even was, and resorted to consulting with other women in the store. Every woman had a different opinion about what to feed a baby. Brian ended up practically buying the aisle, he couldn't buy the wrong thing if he bought everything now could he? So now, there he was hours later sitting in the kitchen trying to decide what would be best to feed the baby.

Baylee had tired of Daddy's game early on, and was thankfully taking a nap. Brian sat him inside the baby bassinet and carried it into the kitchen just in case the baby woke up. Alright Brian...if you were a baby, what would you prefer to eat? He frowned as he studied his choices, well he'd had soy milk before and it didn't exactly tickle his taste buds. And he would never subject himself to horror of lactose-free milk. But...weren't these the kind of formulas that would keep the baby from spitting up on him so much? He frowned deeper, he didn't want to be spat up on, but he didn't want to feed his kid something nasty either. But then again, he'd tasted that breast milk...yech, and Baylee seemed to like it. Decisions, decisions...

He ran a frustrated hand through his curls, and was about to shut his eyes and just reach out and grab an entree when the phone rang. Saved by the bell...unless it was Leighanne. She'd demand to know what he was doing, and if he had fed the baby. And try as he did, he just couldn't lie to the woman, not even over the phone. He left his work, and went to answer the phone, he glanced at the caller ID briefly feeling relieved at seeing it wasn't Leighanne.

"What's up Nick? You lock yourself out of your house again? I really can't help you with that one anymore buddy, seeing as though we're in different states now."

"Shut up B. Did you prank me?"

"Did I what?"

"Did you just prank call me?"

"Oh yeah, like I would really admit to it if I had...." Brian rolled his eyes carrying the cordless phone into the kitchen so he could go back to his debate.

"So true..."

"But for the record I didn't. Really Nick, you need to quit giving out your number to all those various females you run across," Brian rolled his eyes and began to read the label on the Similac can. Don't care what's in it, where's the part that will tell me it keeps the kid from spitting up on me?

"I can't help it if I'm friendly! So....what are you doing?"

"I'm not telling you!"

"Oh no....you got your hand stuck in the baby seat again don't you?" Brian felt his shoulders tense as his so-called best friend began to laugh hysterically at his misfortune.

"No," Brian growled, "Now if you don't have anything else to ask me, I'm going to have to cut our conversation short. I'm busy!"

"No!" Nick practically shouted, and Brian nearly jumped. He clutched the can of Similac and took a deep breath to calm himself after the start Nick had given him, "Nick, what's going on? Why can't I get off the phone? And why did you scream louder than AJ when he found that lady bug in his bed?"

"I...uh..."

Brian rolled his eyes yet again, great.... he had been mistaken, he had to take care of two babies that night, Baylee and Nick. "Are you watching scary movies again? What have I told you about watching those things when you're home alone? Why don't you call AJ or Howie and ask them to come over?"

"AJ's with Sarah...and Howie? Brian, Howie?" Brian could hear the grimace on Nick's face, and he chuckled. "Hey, Howie's better than sitting alone jumping at every strange nose you hear."

"I am not watching scary movies for your information. I'm just...I don't know, lonely I guess, and I kinda miss you. It was cool getting to hang out with you again this week. How's little B?"

"Hungry."

"Well, here's a tip, feed the kid."

"Uh...I'm going to..."

"Uh oh... What did you do now?" Nick was beginning to chuckle again. Daddy Brian Blunders were high on the list of entertainment in Camp Backstreet as of late.

Brian scowled, did he want to tell Nick about his predicament, or did he want to keep his dignity? One glance at the leaning tower of baby milk led Brian to choose to tell Nick. He'd taken care of babies before, maybe he knew something about formula. He set down the Similac took a breath and began to relate his tale to his friend.

He stood patiently waiting for Nick to stop laughing at him, "You done?"

"Oh God....oh God...Brian, you need to win father of the year... Ok, ok... I'm done. I promise," Brian heard Nick sniffling and probably wiping his eyes. "Alright, can I help?"

"I thought you'd never ask. As I told you before I bought everything, but I just don't know what's best to give him. I mean, a few ladies told me soy based formulas, and lactose-free formulas would keep the baby from spitting up."

"B...nothing keeps a baby from spitting up, it's what they do. Spit up, cry, poop, and sleep..oh and in Baylee's case, laugh at Daddy."

"Ha...funny. So what do you recommend then?"

"Um...well the soy stuff might not keep him from spitting up, but I think it makes them less gassy, meaning less fuss. I don't remember what my mom gave Aaron and Angel...it was some off brand."

Brian nodded walking around the counter to the bassinet to make sure Baylee was still sleeping. He smiled at the tiny baby he had helped create. He still couldn't get over the fact that he had reproduced! He wanted to clap himself on the back in congratulations. "Ok, so you say soy milk? Iron fortified? Pre-prepared, ready-to-use, concentrate, or powder?"

"Geez..."

"Oh never mind, the ready-to-use expires in 48 hours, 24 after opening it, I guess I'd better use this."

"Man... B, I wish I was there with a freakin'camera," Nick was chuckling again.

"Yeah, yeah... if you were here, you'd probably beat me to throwing out the breast milk. So you feeling better now buddy?" Brian was opening the formula and now puzzling over how he was supposed to get it into the bottle.... Why did baby contraptions have to be so damn complicated?

************************************************************************************************************

Nick smiled and reclined on the couch lying his head back on the arm, "Yeah, I feel better. Thanks for talking to me, man." He had turned the volume down on the TV, but still gazed at the screen keeping track of what was happening in the movie. The strange call he'd received earlier was carefully making its way to the back of his mind for him to only recall when in a deep sleep, and his brain decided he needed a nice nightmare to help rouse him. He had told Brian he was just lonely, which he was, but the truth was the caller had unnerved him a bit, his voice, the familiar name, the screaming lady... He knew it wasn't Brian that called him, but he had to have some sort of excuse for getting his friend on the line.

He yawned and stretched his free arm over his head, perhaps he'd sleep out there on the couch tonight in front of the big screen. He grunted as one his dogs, Willie, climbed onto the couch and pounced on his stomach. The little dog was trembling, and he reached to stroke his short fur with a frown, "Hang on Brian...What's wrong baby?"

Willie gave a sharp yelping bark and tensed, and Nick's frown deepened, lines appearing in his forehead.... there was a clumping noise, followed by a series of metallic and glass clanks. It sounded as if someone, or something had turned over the trash can in the kitchen. Nick made a frustrated noise and sat up, pushing Willie off his belly. "Mikey, Houston, Nicky, if you've turned over that trash again...."

He could hear Brian chuckling now on the other end, "Problems Nick?"

"Damn mutts..." Nick was muttering standing and heading towards the kitchen. He flipped the light switch before entering the dim room, and walked across the tile floor scanning the area for his other dogs. He bowed his head in defeat when he saw the overturned trash can. Soda cans, and glasses, napkins and left over food decorated the once clean floor. Shit. He turned the metal trash can back right side up, "Mikey, Houston, Nicky!"

The chirping of crickets from outdoors was his only answer, that was when he noticed the side door was open part way. How had that happened? He always closed the door and locked the doggy gate so the dogs wouldn't be able to go out at night. He moved to close it, then thought better of it when he realized the dogs could be outside. He panicked as he thought about the beautiful private patch of beach he owned...and how it would be a perfect place for a small dog to drown...3 small dogs in fact. They weren't smart enough to know about the changes in the tides from night to day. They barely knew how to let themselves out during the day to go to the bathroom.

Shit again, "Um Bri?"

"Hmmm hmmm..." Brian sounded like he had something in his mouth, "I'll be right back, I gotta go outside and check on something. Hold on, ok?"

"Hmm hmm..."

Nick took that as an "ok," and ventured out the side door barefoot onto the sand outside. "Mikey! Nicky! Houston! Come!" He let out a loud whistle, and began to make kissing noises trying to coax his dogs to appear. "Mikey!" He began to jog, as his mind began to show him horrible images of his poor puppies fighting to stay afloat in the murky Atlantic. He stopped running at the strangled noise he heard coming from nearby.... He turned back toward his house, and he heard the noise again...it sounded like a dog. "Mikey?" he called faintly, and began to creep back towards the side door.

"Here he comes now," Brian whispered to him, and Gary nodded, "You have no more use for the dog." Swiftly Gary used his bare hands to break the canine's neck, and put it out of its misery. Sure the real Nick might miss it, but he would care more about getting his body back, and Gary was going to make sure he got it. He watched as the evil Nick inched closer and closer to where he lie in wait.

"Do you know what to do when you have him, Gary?" Chaucer quizzed.

"Yes."

"Nick's counting on you Gary, once you get his body back for us, we'll have one more ally."

"Mikey?" the evil one called softly, he sounded apprehensive, and Gary feared he wouldn't continue his advance, "What do I do if he won't come?"

"He'll come."

"Houston?" Closer still...He gave another whistle, and clapped his hands to his knees, "Nicky? Here boy..." Just one more step....

"Now!"

************************************************************************************************************

"Ok...I think I got this," Brian was mumbling to himself. He held out the bottle, formula, lid, and nipple all securely inside, attached, you name it, Brian was on top of it. Oh yeah, he was the man! Wait...wasn't he supposed to heat it a little first? Dammit! The instructions said nothing about heating the bottle...but every TV show and movie he had seen where babies were in the plot, involved heating bottles. He scratched his head, but then those bottles had regular milk in them, didn't they? People kept bottles of formula in the fridge. He was so confused. Maybe he'd call his mom... sure she would laugh at him and tell his father, but it would be better than poisoning his kid. The more he thought about it, the better it sounded. He'd call his mom after he got off the phone with Nick. He glowered, Nick sure was taking his sweet time coming back to the line. He should have told Brian he'd call him back. Dumb kid, but Brian couldn't help but feel a touch of affection towards him. He was all alone in a big house at night, and had probably watched something on TV that had frightened him. Nick was so easy to scare. That kid was never gonna grow up, he needed a nanny.

Brian played with the bottle a bit, still proud of his neat assembly. It looked like the bottle in the picture, he grinned. He was spinning the bottle round on the counter when he heard someone handling the phone, "Geez Nick, it's about time you picked back up. Listen, I need to call my mom, and ask her something...unless you know if you're supposed to heat up baby formula?" Brian was silent on the line waiting for Nick to answer him, but all he got was heavy breathing, "Nick? You ok bud?"

"I'm coming for you too, Brian. Don't think because you're so far away I'm going to forget about you."

Brian blinked, a slight chill running down his spine, that didn't sound like Nick... "Nick, if this is you...you aren't being funny. If you don't know about the formula, then I'm hanging up."

The person on the other line beat him to the punch and hung up first, and Brian stood holding the phone listening to the dial tone. He dialed Nick's number and bit his lip when he received a busy signal. Nick was either on the phone again, or it was off the hook. He bit his nails after setting down the phone, he was sure it was nothing to worry about, but something told him he'd better call AJ, and have him check up on Nick....just in case. But he was sure nothing was wrong, just Nick playing a dumb joke. Dumb kid... he tried to laugh it off, yet he continued to bite his nails. He picked up the phone again and dialed AJ's cell phone number, knowing he would answer it. He'd go check on Nick.... Nick was fine.But...Just in case...