- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
As previously mentioned in the summary, this was a short story I had to write for my English class.

Edit: Just wanted to add that my teacher gave it an A! lol
Have you ever had one of those days? The ones where you get this feeling that something major is gonna happen, but you don’t know what? Where you're not sure if it’s a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not sure if you've ever had a day like that, but I think I-

“Lisa! Are you still awake?” Hannah asked, putting the cap on her iced tea bottle as she derailed my train of thought. I blinked as I looked up at her, dropping my pen on the ground.

“S-Sorry, did you say something?” I replied, looking down at the now doodle-covered page in my notebook. I must've spaced out while waiting for her and Derrick, my two best friends, to meet me at our usual lunch table outside.

“Actually yes,” Hannah said, unwrapping her sandwich, “I said ‘Hey Lis! What’s up? Helloo? Lisa!’, and apparently you caught the rest.”

“Oh, well, hey Han, nothing’s up.” I answered as I leaned under the table and reached for my pen, hitting my head on the underside as a familiar voice suddenly appeared.

“Hey ladies!” Derrick greeted, sitting down on my other side.

“Ow! Damnit, Derrick…” I trailed off, rubbing my head with my left hand as I slammed my pen down with my right.

“Sorry, Lis, didn’t mean to scare y-“ he stopped as I raised my hand to him.

“It’s fine.” I stated, sighing.

“Are you okay?” Hannah quizzed, handing me my water bottle so I could hold it on the point of impact.

“I’m fine, it wasn’t that bad of a bump and it wasn’t your fault, Der.”

“You’re sure?” He asked.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” Would they rather I had a bleeding gash and a concussion?

“Good.” Derrick stated, glancing over at my notebook. “New drawings?” I pulled the notebook closer to myself and tried to block his view with my shoulder.

“No, new doodles.” He still insistently peered over my shoulder at them, giving up a few moments later and rolling his eyes when he realized I wasn’t gonna give him a better view.

“Whatever, they look really good.”

“I wanna see!” Hannah exclaimed, now taking her turn at trying to get a peek.

“You’re lucky there was nothing personal written on that page,” I leaned back and revealed my intricate doodles of stars interwoven with flowers, hearts, and flames. “I would’ve killed you.”

“These are beautiful, Lis…”

“Yeah, they’re awesome.” Derrick added.

“They’re doodles, not the Mona Lisa.” I pointed out.

“Mona Lisa, Schmona Lisa,” Hannah scoffed. “You’ve always done awesome work. I wish I could draw like you.”

“And I wish I could write like you!” I countered. Hannah was on the school newspaper, and her articles were always great.

“Okay, compliment shower over.” Derrick refereed. He always changed the subject when he thought the conversation was gonna get really girly or something like that. I guess that having 2 girls for best friends kinda does that to a guy after a while. I know Derrick has a sensitive side, I just don’t see it making an appearance anytime soon.

“You’re just jealous that we didn’t get to you yet.” Hannah teased, playfully sticking her tongue out at Derrick. He responded by leaning back in his seat and tossing a raisin at the back of Hannah’s head of wavy blonde hair. A look of shock came across her face, and Derrick couldn’t help but burst out laughing at it.

“Enough, children.” I said. “I stopped babysitting two years ago.”

He’s the one who threw a raisin at me.” Hannah pouted.

“After you stuck your tongue out at me!” Derrick argued.

“See, when I said I stopped babysitting, I was implying that you two should stop acting like little kids.” I explained.

“Okay.” They replied in unison.

“Good.” I cleared my throat. “So Hannah, you have to work on the newspaper t-“ I was in the middle of my question when I was interrupted by Hannah waving me off and shushing me. What the f-

“Jason at eight o’ clock,” she whispered, pointing behind us at the tall, brunette-haired guy who’d just walked into the courtyard. I put my head in my hand and sighed as I looked over at Derrick, who was confused by the sudden silence.

“Jason at eight o’ clock,” I repeated, much less enthused than Hannah. Derrick nodded knowingly and we both rolled our eyes as we waited expectantly for the scene we knew would unfold before us. Don’t get me wrong, Jason is a good guy – he’s nice and he’s a really good writer, like Hannah – it’s just that…

“Hey, Hannah…” Jason greeted as he walked by.

“H-h-h…” Hannah managed, too flustered to get out her entire response. She heaved a frustrated sigh as soon as she realized Jason had already taken his seat at his usual lunch table.

“You’ve been crushing on him like this since eighth grade, Han,” Derrick said, “Why don’t you just ask him out and put us all out of our misery?”

“I don’t even know if he’s interested. I don’t wanna scare him off if he’s not interested.”

“You know he’s interested.” Derrick responded.

“No, I don’t!” Hannah argued. “I’m always trying to hint to him that I like him, and he never drops any back.”

Hints?” Derrick repeated. “You’re always tripping over yourself when you talk to him!”

“Am not!” She protested.

“Are too!” He countered. “Would you like a replay of what just happened a few seconds ago?” Derrick cleared his throat. “’Hey, Hannah.’” He said in a mockingly deep voice. “’H-h-h…’” He answered himself in a higher pitched voice.

“I get it! But it’s not always like that!”

Derrick scoffed. “You’re right, its not. This time you were sitting down, usually you’re tripping over something mid-stutter!”

“So? I’m clumsy!”

“Yeah, Han, you’re a klutz, but you’re not as uncoordinated as you are around Jason!”

“You’re talking like you’ve never gotten nervous around someone you really liked.” Ooh, she’s got him there. He almost dropped his sixth grade history project on his foot and mine when his crush said “Hey” to him in the hallway.

“At least I could carry on a conversation with her!” Derrick exclaimed. “Why are you in such denial over this?”

“Why are you being so pushy about it?”

“Because ever since he moved in down the street from me you’ve been drooling over him and acting stupid around him! It’s been four years!”

“And how many chances has he had to ask me out? Plenty!”

“Since when are you so old fashioned? Why does he have to work up the nerve to ask you out?”

“Because, as you oh-so-wonderfully pointed out, I’m ‘always tripping over myself when I talk to him’!”

“You’ll never get over it if you don’t try!”

“Like I haven’t! It’s not that easy!”

“It’s not brain surgery, either!” Derrick heaved a frustrated sigh. “Okay, look: you talk to me, right?”

“Well, we’re in the middle of an argument right now, but yeah…”

“Well I’m a normal guy. Like Jason.”

“Wait, can we talk about this whole ‘you being normal’ thing?” I interjected.

“Later.” Derrick replied. “Do you understand what I’m getting at, Han?”

“I know what you’re saying, Der, I’m not stupid.” She answered, arms crossed.

“No, you’re not stupid. You just act stupid when you’re scared. Or around Jason. Usually both.” Strike one: accusing Hannah of being scared.

“I’m not afraid of Jason!” Hannah scoffed.

“Then you should really join the drama club ‘cause that’s some performance you put on, there!” Derrick lightly applauded. “Come on, Hannah, just admit it. You’re downright scared when you have to talk to him.”

“I am not!”

“Yes, you are! I mean, I bet you couldn’t go a day without making a fool out of yourself in front of him!” Strike two: challenging Hannah about being scared.

“I’ll take that bet!” Hannah exclaimed.

“Alright then!” Derrick put out his hand, and Hannah quickly grabbed it and shook it. This ought to be good. "We'll discuss what you owe me when you lose." And finally, strike three: underestimating Hannah. Sorry, Derrick, I think you just struck out.

"No, we'll discuss what you owe me when I win."

"A little cocky, there, aren't we?" Derrick raised his eyebrow.

"As if you're not preparing your victory speech in your head right now." Ah, she's got him there.

"Indeed I am, but from me this sort of over-confidence is expected." But then again, this is also true. Hannah has never been one to back down from a challenge, but Derrick has quite the competitive streak in him, too. Neither one of them are gonna let up too easily. "Besides, I don't really have to do anything but watch you. You're the one who five minutes ago couldn't form one word in front of the guy."

"Okay, I think a change of subject is in order!" I interrupted. I think its time I jump in before one of them says something they'll regret. "Hannah, you have to work on the newspaper tomorrow after school, right?"

"Sure do." She replied, poking at her pudding cup absently.

"How's the article coming?" Derrick asked.

"Alright, I guess." She sat up suddenly. "That reminds me, actually," she stood up from the table, "I have to go talk to Ms. Bolen about something before lunch period ends. I'll see you guys later."

"Bye, Han." Derrick and I said almost at the same time as Hannah waved back to us from the trash can where she'd just dumped out the contents of her tray.

"Just so I know," I began once Hannah walked back inside the school building, looking over at Derrick as he raised his eyebrows expectantly, "Did you keep pushing her on the 'scared' thing on purpose so you could make that bet?"

Derrick smirked. "Someone hadda take one for the team." He put his right hand over his heart and faked an expression as if he was about to cry. "I guess, I'm just that kind of person."

"I know," I put my hand on his shoulder and imitated his expression slightly. "You do so much." I couldn't hold in my laughter for more than a few seconds after that, and apparently Derrick couldn't either.

"But seriously. She's really getting on my last nerve with this Jason thing and I figured it was now or never."

"I just hope you're plan works..."

"You mean you hope I lose?!?" Derrick adopted a shocked and offended look.

"Well, don't you?"

He shrugged off his previous expression. "I guess so."

"Good." I stated, taking a sip from my water bottle as Derrick and I continued our conversation until lunch ended.


~The Next Day~


I think Derrick and I were both impressed at how well Hannah was doing so far with the bet. Granted she hadn't actually had to be in the same room as Jason, she still hadn't tripped over anything or knocked anything over while passing by him in the hallway like she usually would. By fourth period she was still going strong... I think.

"I guess this isn't so bad..." She remarked as we walked to her favorite class, English. She stopped just outside the door and stood against the wall. "Who am I kidding? I've been avoiding him all day, and now we actually have a class with him. He sits right in front of me every day!"

"Don't stress about it, Han, you've actually been doing well so far today. I'll switch seats with you for today if you want..." I offered.

"No, then I'd feel like I was cheating. I guess I'll just have to deal..."

"Yeah, and you know Derrick will be impossible to deal with if you cave in."

"Oh yeah." Hannah stood up and we walked into the classroom, sitting down in our seats.

"Be strong." I leaned over and whispered to her as Jason walked into the room, waving to his friend as he took his usual place in front of Hannah. She took a deep breath and opened her notebook, tapping her pencil nervously as she avoided looking up for as long as she could.

"Excuse me," Jason turned around in his seat to face Hannah, smiling at her as she glanced up, "Do you have a pencil I could borrow?" As Hannah began to open her mouth, I leaned over and tapped her on the arm with an extra pencil. She quickly grabbed it and handed it to him. "Thanks, Hannah." He said, turning back around as Ms. Bolen walked in and tried to direct our attention to the board.

Hannah gave me a silent "Thank you" as our lesson began, and I replied with an equally silent "No problem." I know how it feels to be blindsided, especially by your crush. We have lunch next, hopefully we can have a peaceful one today...


~Later~


"Halfway there!" Hannah exclaimed, plopping down her lunch tray as she sat down next to me and across from Derrick.

"Yeah, you still have half the day to lose." Derrick retorted.

"I don't think so..."

"She's actually done better than you thought she would." I told him.

"I know," he replied, "I just wish I could be there for your newspaper meeting today."

"Why?" Hannah asked suspiciously.

"Don't you remember?" Hannah shook her head. "Jason's the new sports columnist. He told us last week."

Hannah sighed heavily and laid her head down on the table. "I totally forgot. What am I gonna do?"

"Don't sweat it, for starters." I consoled, "You did fine last period."

"That's because I didn't have to talk to him last period.”

“Han, he’s human. He gets embarrassed, too.”

“Not every day like me.”

“You haven’t embarrassed yourself yet today.”

Yet.”

Derrick sighed heavily, and I gave him a warning glance not to say anything. But since when does he listen to anyone? "You have a lot in common with him, you'd know that if you actually talked to him."

"You need to get past this, Hannah. I know it's hard, but-"

"Yeah, you guys are right. I'll figure it out." She interrupted before taking a big bite of her sandwich.

"So..." I trailed off. "Did you finish your article yet?"

"Not even!" Hannah took a sip of tea. "I've still got at least half of it to go."

"I'm sure it'll be awesome."



~Afterschool~



Hannah sat at the large wooden table for her Newspaper club meeting, trying her hardest to pay attention to Ms. Bolen's attempt at a pep talk.

"You guys write great stuff, you just need to realize your full potentials!" Ms. Bolen stressed, clapping her hands as she paced back and forth in front of the blackboard. "And work on being on time..." She looked up towards the door at the back of the room where someone had just tried to sneak in late. Jason. She motioned for him to take a seat, and much to Hannah's surprise, the seat next to her was the only one left unoccupied.

"Hey..." Jason trailed off.

"Hey..." Hannah whispered quickly.

"Thanks for letting me borrow a pencil earlier. My backpack spilled open this morning in my driveway and I guess I forgot my spares." He said quietly.

'I guess everyone has their bad days.' She thought. "H-Happens to the best of us."

"And remember, I need these articles by Tuesday! No later!" Ms. Bolen shouted.

"Great," Jason muttered, "That doesn't give me much time to write this thing." Hannah looked up at him, and his cheeks turned a light share of red. "Did -did I just say that out loud?"

She nodded. "Don't worry, I'm not done with mine yet, either."

"Well at least I'm not alone..." He smiled. "What's your article about?"

"The Global Club's fundraiser for UNICEF that's coming up next week. What's yours about?"

"Mine? It's just introducing myself. Talking about why I like sports..."

"Sounds great, I can't wait to read it."

"Well maybe we could, you know, hang out tomorrow, and, you know, work together on our articles?"

"Sure." Hannah answered. "May-maybe we could get a pizza or something, too?"

"Like a date?"

"Y-yeah..." Hannah's cheeks were redder than Jason's.

"Sounds awesome!" Jason exclaimed, though still keeping his voice down.

"Okay guys, lets get some work done today!!" Ms. Bolen exclaimed, walking to her desk as everyone got up from the table and scattered around the room to perform their various tasks.

"So we'll talk details later?" he walked Hannah to her desk by the window.

"Okay." Hannah sat down and smiled up at him. "See you later."

"Mr. Wallace!" Ms. Bolen called, looking over at Jason. "Can I see you over here, please?"

"See you later, Hannah." Jason said, turning around and waving to Hannah quickly and narrowly avoiding a trash can as he turned around.

'Talk about a role reversal...' Hannah thought to herself as she re-read what she had so far of her article, unable to stop smiling.


~An Hour and a Half Later~


Derrick and I were lounging out in the courtyard waiting for Hannah when we saw her walking over with a huge smile on her face.

"How'd it go?" Derrick asked as he sat up on the table.

"Great!" Hannah exclaimed.

"Well, what happened?" I quizzed as we walked towards the parking lot to Derrick's car.

"He asked me out!" She squealed, and I laughed when I saw Derrick cringe as she walked between us.

"That's great!"

"I know! We're gonna hang out at his house tomorrow." She leaned against the passenger's side door of Derrick's car as we waited for him to unlock it. When he finally did, I pushed the front seat forward and plopped down in the middle of the backseat as Hannah sat down in the front.

"So congrats," Derrick said as he started up the car. "You won." He turned around to back out of the parking lot, and Hannah glanced back at me and smiled.

"About that..." She trailed off as they waited at the traffic light at the corner. "I know what I want from you." She was smirking, and seeing this, Derrick frowned.

"Not a double date..."

"No, not at all, but tomorrow I'm supposed to babysit for-"

"Hannah, NO!" Derrick exclaimed, slamming his brakes a little too suddenly at a stop sign. "They hate me!"

"No they don't!" she argued. "They like you."

"They're always little monsters when I'm alone with them!"

"A bet is a bet!" Hannah reminded him. He sighed with frustration, looking back at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Don't look at me," I said, "I can't help you. This is your bet."

"Fine... I'll watch Tommy and Molly for you." Derrick groaned, giving in to Hannah's request for him to watch her little twin brother and sister tomorrow night. He turned down her street and I got out of the car with her when he stopped in front of her house.

"I'll call you later." I said, hugging Hannah before she walked up to the stairs of her house. The door flung open and there stood Molly and Tommy.

"HANNAH, HANNAH!" they shouted in unison.

"Hey guys! Guess what?" Hannah asked, kneeling down in front of them when she reached her front door.

"What?" Tommy asked.

"Derrick's spend some time with you guys tomorrow night!"

"YAY!" Molly exclaimed, jumping up and wrapping her arms around her sister.

"See you guys later!" Hannah shouted to us, picking up her sister as the three waved goodbye to us.

"Bye!" Derrick replied, while I simply waved back. Derrick started his car up again and was silent until we once again reached the end of Hannah's street. "It's gonna be the night from Hell. I know it."

"You're overreacting, Der. You'll be fine."

"I hope you're right..."

"That's a first."

"Very funny."

"You'll be fine."

"Yeah, yeah..." Derrick trailed off. I heard him mutter something under his breath about 'little monsters' and decided to change the subject before we made it to my street.



~The following night~



"Why oh why did I make that stupid bet??!" Derrick exclaimed over Tommy and Molly screaming in the background.

"To help your best friend Hannah." I reminded him as I sat on my couch, TV remote in hand.

"Yeah, well, I hope it's worth it."

"It is."

I heard Molly screaming something in the background, then a loud crash. "Damn, I gotta go. I think Tommy tried to glue the cat to something. Later."

"Later..." I said with a laugh as I heard Derrick shout something I couldn't quite make out before he hung up.

So, it's been a few months now, and Hannah and Jason are still together. The cat's fur has grown back, and I think Hannah figured out that Derrick purposely made that bet to help her, seeing as she swore to never make him babysit her siblings alone ever again. Nevertheless, they both agreed not to make any more bets. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

The End.