- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I promise, there's only two more chapters before the end of this story, and then it's over! So, the end's comin' quick. Thanks for the reviews!
And all at once the crowd begins to sing
Sometimes the hardest thing and
The right thing are the same


“What do you think of this one?” Shelby held her arms out to the side and twirled in a slow circle.

Nick narrowed his eyes and studied the way the sleek white satin curved smoothly over her figure and fell straight to the floor. It was strapless and beaded in white. She looked like a dream come true.

But not his. Never his.

“I think there’s got to be better in this place.” He shrugged at her frown. “Sorry, Shel. You can do better than this one.”

She turned to Mel, who sat next to Nick in the dressing room of the trendy bridal boutique in Tampa’s shopping district. “What do you think?”

“I have to agree with Nick. You can do better.”

Grumbling, Shelby stalked back into the stall. “I’ve tried on everything I like in this store,” she said through the stall door. “And we’ve hit up every store that sells bridal gowns in the city. Where am I supposed to go now? It’s not like I can just call up Vera Wang or someone and have her design my dress from scratch.”

Nick sat up as a thought occurred to him. “Why not?”

“What?” Mel turned a questioning gaze on him.

“What did he say?” Shelby called out.

He walked over to the stall. “Shelby, why couldn’t you get a dress designed by a well-known designer?”

The door opened, and Shelby arched a brow. “Because I’m not rich and famous? I think that’s key right there. Besides, I couldn’t afford that even if I sold out the shop and its stock.”

“I can.”

“What?” Now, two pairs of eyes stared at him in shock.

Nick shrugged. “I can buy you your wedding dress.” He squeezed Shelby’s limp hand. “It’ll be my wedding present to an old friend.”

“Nick, I…I don’t know what to say.” Shelby had to drag her jaw off the ground. It was such a generous offer and came despite everything that had transpired between them in the last few months.

He tapped her nose playfully. “Then don’t say anything except thank you. And, anyway, Brian, my bandmate, his wife bought a Vera gown for their wedding. I’m sure we can pull a few strings and get you one tailor-made.”

He had to fight back a laugh when Shelby’s mouth moved and no sound came out. She looked like a fish out of water, he mused, but he wanted to make her happy. It had been part of that decision he’d made to be a good friend to her. True, it was hellish to go shopping for her wedding dress with her. He’d met her fiancé and thought the guy was pretty decent, but he couldn’t help but be jealous anyway.

But he’d made a vow to himself and was going to stick to it.

Nick leaned down and kissed her cheek. “I want your wedding to be perfect, Shel. I’ll do anything to make sure it happens,” he murmured.

Anything. Even if it meant that he’d be miserable the whole way.