- Text Size +
Chapter 11

The four-hour drive ended up being closer to five since they were pulling a trailer and it was well after three in the afternoon when they pulled into a small used car lot. Brian jumped out of the car but Sarah stayed put. She looked around unimpressed by the rows average two and three year old sedans that littered the dirty lot. Brian saw her still sitting in the car and opened her door. He held out his hand to offer her some assistance. After looking at him like he was crazy, Sarah frowned and jumped out of the car refusing the kind gesture then stalked off toward the office without saying a word. With a sigh Brian shut the door and quickly caught up to her.

From inside the office an overzealous salesman grinned in pure delight as he eyed the well dressed young man. “A sucker born every minute.” He laughed to himself until he noticed the young woman that accompanied his next victim. “Even better.” He said appreciating the curves beneath Sarah’s casual outfit. The salesman plastered a rehearsed smile on his face stopping to check himself out in a mirror before stepping out of the office.

Sarah sized the man up the moment he stepped outside. He was so stereotypical that a small disgusted laugh escaped her lips. His greasy hair flopped to one side and he strutted proudly in his cheesy suit completely unaware that the 70’s ended over two decades ago. Sarah loathed his type and grinned knowing he had no idea what was about to happen to him. Even if the entire day were going to be a total waste, at least this part of it would be fun. The man greeted Brian with a confidante handshake and winked obnoxiously at Sarah. “How ya doin’ sweet cheeks?” he asked with a smile that was as crooked as he was.

Sarah smiled patronizingly. She decided not to unleash her temper just yet. She was one hundred percent certain that this man was going to try and hustle them and she decided to save her energy for that. “So how can I help you fine folks today?” the man asked practically drooling over the opportunity to make a buck.

“Are you Larry?” Brian asked and the man nodded. “I’m Brian Harper. We spoke this morning?”

The salesman’s grin got even bigger and he pointed to a dirty old garage in the back of the lot. “The one you’re looking for is right in there.”

Brian and Sarah followed the salesman across the lot. Brian was anxious to see the car. He hoped it was everything the add promised. This had always been his favorite car and he was excited at the idea of owning one. He looked at Sarah who was shaking her head disapprovingly at the prices marked on the windshields she passed through the sea of cars. He pictured her sitting next to him in the passenger seat with the top down and the wind blowing her long chestnut locks wildly around her face. He smiled thinking that she would only enhance the beauty of such a classic automobile.

When they arrived at the garage the salesman reached beneath the collar of his shirt exposing a small patch of hair on his chest and pulled a chain from around his neck. He raised his eyebrows up and down quickly showing Sarah a key. “Feel privileged sweet cheeks. I don’t show the goods to just anybody.”

Sarah was not impressed. “No offense to the poster boy for hair plugs here,” she said to Brian dryly, “But there is nothing on this lot worth a four hour drive.”

The salesman forced a laugh at Sarah’s insult. “Feisty little girlfriend you got there.”

“That’s definitely one way to describe her.” Brian smirked.

He also didn’t bother to correct the status of their relationship. He knew it would never be true but he still liked the sound of it. His fantasy didn’t last long though. “I am NOT his girlfriend.” Sarah stated firmly.

“Really?” The salesman mused aloud as he less than discretely ogled her. Sarah tried not to gag as the salesman flashed her another one of his cheesy grins. But he creeped her out when he took a step toward her and attempted to put his arm over her shoulder. She instinctively stepped close to Brian. Brian was surprised to feel Sarah’s arm lock securely around his and then her body seemed to hug his tightly as she pushed him between herself and the salesman. Brian grinned as he looked down at the petite hand clinging nervously to his sleeve and with his free arm he placed his hand delicately on top of hers. His heart melted when she didn’t pull away. Although he knew she was merely using him to shield herself from the advances of the unctuous salesman, Brian was thrilled to death to be her protector.

Brian gave the other man a warning look and he immediately backed off. With a shrug he placed the key he was holding into an old padlock and pulled the rusty garage door open. Brian laughed at how big Sarah’s eyes got when she saw the Porsche in front of her. “A 356 Speedster?” she gasped as she looked up at Brian with excitement shining through her emerald green eyes.

Brian laughed and even though he didn’t want to, he let her go and she immediately headed for the car. He enjoyed watching her look over the car like a kid on Christmas morning. Her face was glowing as she climbed into the driver’s seat and Brian knew he’d found a weakness. “This is a 1953!” She called to Brian who was still just watching her. “It’s a pre-A! Do you know how rare these are?”

“The girl knows her cars.” The salesman said impressed.

Sarah sighed to herself as she dreamily ran her hands along the car’s interior. “Even in 1953 this baby could easily top 100 miles an hour.”

Sarah stepped out of the car and began meticulously inspecting the vehicle. Brian forced his attention away from the girl and smiled at the salesman. “You’re right, she really is a beauty.” He said.

“Never a boring night with a car like this! You’ll have the women lining up for blocks. I betcha even that little firecracker you got over there would happily give it up parked under a starry sky in that baby.” The man laughed suggestively nudging Brian in the side with his elbow.

Brian blushed at the man’s candid remark and had to push the heated visual from his mind. He forced a nervous laugh and then quickly changed the subject. “Um, you said it runs well?”

The salesman didn’t answer Brian’s question because his attention was focused on Sarah who was tinkering with the engine sporting a very puzzled look. “Careful there sweet cheeks! I’d hate to see you get grease on that pretty little blouse of yours.” He laughed.

Sarah ignored his comment and started up the engine revving it a few times to get the gas pumping through its veins. The salesman watched her nervously for a moment and then, as if flipping a switch, turned on his greasy salesman charm once more. “Purrs like a kitten.” He said throwing an arm over Brian’s shoulder. “Prime condition. I have her listed at a hundred but you look like a nice guy. And that feisty little girl of yours? Woah! I could knock a few thousand off the price. Give her to ya for ninety.”

Brian contemplated the offer and the salesman frowned as he watched Sarah crawl underneath the car. “She always like that?” he asked.

Brian smiled as he shrugged a reply. The salesman quickly replaced a nervous look with his trademark cheesy grin. “What do ya say? We have a deal?”

Sarah crawled back out from underneath the car and brushed the dirt from her clothes. She frowned as she noticed a spot of grime on her shirt. “Did you say ninety thousand?” She asked as she licked her finger and dabbed at the stain on her shirt.

“Didn’t I tell you that was going to happen?” The dealer laughed pointing at her outfit, “You should listen to ol’ Larry next time”

He then turned back to Brian and smiled. “Should we step into my office?”

Brian looked questioningly at Sarah. “So what do you think? You want to take it for a test drive?”

Sarah glared at Brian and then looked at the salesman. Finally she let her eyes rest on the car and sighed. “It’s a beautiful machine alright. The dark blue is a nice color for it too. A mint condition classic Porsche like this could easily go for $125 at auction.”

The salesman let out a silent breath of relief and Brian looked at Sarah somewhat disappointed. “If you say so.” He said and then looked at the man trying to sell him the car. “If the lady says it’s a good deal, then it’s a good deal.”

Brian reached out to shake the man’s hand. “So we have a deal?” the man said holding back his excitement.

“I guess we have a deal.” Brian agreed.

Sarah coughed suggestively when the two men shook hands. Brian looked back at her curiously and let go of the salesman’s grip. The dealer forced an impatient smile. “I’m sorry, you misunderstood me.” Sarah said calmly to Brian. “I said MINT it would be worth $125.”

The salesman laughed forcefully, “Sweet cheeks, you trying to tell me there’s something wrong with my car?”

“That’s exactly what I’m trying to tell you… sweet cheeks.” Sarah said biting back her anger.

A smile crept across Brian’s face and he waited anxiously to hear what Sarah had to say. “I assure you it runs fine. I had my mechanic go over every inch of this car.” The salesman reassured Brian brushing off Sarah completely.

“You might want to re-think his salary.” Sarah said reiterating her thoughts.

The man glared his annoyance for a brief second but recovered instantly with a smile and a laugh, “Ooh! Feisty!”

The salesman threw his arm around Brian once again and lowered his voice. “Just like a woman. It’s amazing how they all seem to think they know everything.”

Brian glanced nervously at Sarah who was now fuming. “My being female has nothing to do with the blown head gasket on this car.” She yelled.

Both Brian and the salesman looked up in surprise. The salesman shook his head with a challenging look and Sarah stalked over to the car. Brian watched proudly as she plopped herself back into the driver’s seat and turned on the engine again. “Get in.” she commanded and Brian immediately obeyed scurrying over to the car hoping into the passenger seat. “Feel that? Feel how it’s riding rough?” Sarah asked when he got comfortable.

Brian nodded slowly and Sarah threw the car into reverse. As the car rolled back Brian felt a slight clunk underneath him. It was barely even noticeable but Sarah had caught it instantly. “Did you feel that?” she asked again.

Again Brian nodded and looked curiously at the nervous salesman. “It just needs a tune-up.” He said shrugging off the noise. “Eighty-five.”

Sarah rolled her eyes at the cheesy response and turned off the engine. Brian listened carefully as she explained herself. “When a car rides like that, check the dipstick.”

Brian followed her to the engine and watched with wide eyes as she pulled the stick from the car. “See that? There’s water in the engine. That’s a classic sign of a blown head gasket. And that clunk you just heard when it went into reverse? Best case, it’s a simple U-joint. Worst case it’s the transmission, or it could mean a bad rear-end. I’d have to take it apart to know for sure.”

Sarah put the dipstick back in its place and looked up to see Brian staring admiringly. Her cheeks turned red under the intense gaze and she nervously stepped back shutting the hood. “I give it three months before you have to rebuild the entire engine.” She said nervously backing away from him.

She wiped her hands on a towel that had been sitting on a nearby counter and looked at the car one more time still avoiding eye contact with Brian. “I could fix it.” She said, “But it’s not like 50 year old German parts are easy to come by, or cheap. Not to mention there’s rust in the rocker panels. You’re looking at thousands of dollars to get her in shape, and that’s looking at it for five minutes. Who knows what else the bastard’s lying about.”

She paused for a moment contemplating a fair price and finally said, “It is one of the rarest models of the 356 but I still wouldn’t pay a dime over 50 for it.”

“Fifty?” Brian repeated and the salesman choked out the number at the same time.

Sarah glared at the now panicky salesman and said, “Even the dumbest mechanic in the world would have known about a problem like that. But I’m sure Larry here didn’t know it’s a federal offense to sell a car without disclosing all known mechanical information.”

Brian continued to stare dreamily at Sarah as she handed the keys back to the completely dumbfounded salesman. She glared at the man and waited for a response. He laughed nervously as he wiped the beads of sweat from his forehead. Brian looked at him curiously and he shrugged. “Girl knows how to bargain.”

After an hour and a half or so of paperwork Brian’s truck finally pulled out of the old lot with the Porsche secured snug under its cover on the trailer behind it. Both Brian and Sarah wave happily out their windows to the salesman as they drive off. The salesman waves back flashing his big cheesy grin one last time.

Sarah watched Brian glance ecstatically in the rear view mirror at his new prize possession. He could hardly sit still he was so excited. The twinkle in his eyes was kind of cute but silly and Sarah let a tiny laugh escape her lips. Brian heard it and grinned from ear to ear as he glanced her direction. “I didn’t know you were capable of showing emotion.” Sarah said.

Brian knew that wasn’t exactly a compliment but he didn’t care. He was so excited that he’d done this for himself that nothing could have dampened his spirits. “That was incredible!” He gasped. “Nick was right, you’re fantastic!”

Sarah looked at Brian as if he’d lost his mind. “Come on, admit it, that was fun! The way his mouth hung open like that? The guy was actually sweating! I knew there was a reason I dragged you along.” Brian chuckled to himself and then grinned. “Aside from all the stimulating conversation you provided on the drive here.” He smirked.

Sarah rolled her eyes, but she deserved that so she gave in and cracked a smile. Her heart softened a little toward the poor guy. He was right about needing her to come. While he may have had exceptionally great taste in cars, he had no clue how to handle a salesman. Sarah couldn’t help but feel satisfied with her good deed. “Maybe the drive wasn’t such a waste after all.” She finally admitted.

They both laughed together but it quickly faded into an awkward silence and Sarah panicked at the way Brian seemed to be looking at her. She turned her gaze out the window and Brian looked out at the road a little disappointed by the sudden set back. “You saved me a ton of money today.” He said.

“Not as much as you think.” Sarah replied, “You’re still going to have to rebuild that engine.”

“No really. I owe you big.” Brian insisted.

“It was nothing.” Sarah shrugged.

“After all that excitement I’m starving. Why don’t you let me buy you dinner? It’s the least I can do. Anywhere in Chicago.”

Sarah wasn’t sure how to answer. Obviously they had to eat before they left town, they still had a good five hours of driving time ahead of them. But she just couldn’t figure Brian out at all. His mood was so drastically different from the night before that she wondered how it could have even been the same person. He always seemed like this shy, serious person who was too busy to have a good time and yet today he had spent hours to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a car that was anything but practical. And although he still seemed very shy it was a really bold move the way he tricked her into coming with him and several times he’d been quick to give her a hard time. Suddenly a man she always thought was so cut and dry was now the biggest mystery she’d ever come up against and she was curious to find out more about him. “Ok.” She said hesitantly accepting Brian’s offer for dinner.

“Good.” Brian replied, “So what are you in the mood for?”

As Sarah thought about what she wanted to eat for dinner Brian suppressed the fluttering feeling in his stomach. Sarah had not only agreed to dinner but she didn’t even have to be talked into it. He wasn’t sure what had done it, but she was beginning to relax and Brian felt a flicker of hope in his heart.