- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
WooHoo another update! I'm on a roll!
Chapter 17

The drive home was a dismal one and Brian and Sarah shared the doom and gloom atmosphere, feeding off of one another’s heartache. Never before was there such a sight to see. The two of them coming home from the best date either had in years, possibly ever, and they both seemed to think the world was going to end because of it. Neither were in much of a talking mood as Brian pulled the Porsche into the driveway. But, always the gentleman, Brian thanked Sarah for the wonderful day as he walked her to her car. Sarah leaned against the driver’s side door prolonging her exit as long as she could and forced one last sad smile. “No, thank you.” She said, shyly glancing at her feet. “I had a great time.”

Brian managed a weak smile, “Today was a good day.” He agreed.

“Almost perfect.” Sarah muttered under her breath.

Neither of them moved an inch. They both stood there waiting for the other to shatter the stillness, both wanting the same thing, the kiss that would slap the title of perfection onto their first date. But, as much as the words that so desperately needed to be spoken went unsaid, the kiss stayed just a thought in the front of their minds. Sarah pulled her eyes up to meet Brian’s and when they locked with his, his lips parted to let in a sharp intake of nervous breath. Logic and reasoning no longer had any hold over him and he moved ever so slightly forward. This time the look in his eyes was unmistakably desire, and anticipating the feel of his lips, Sarah’s eyes fluttered shut.

As fate would have it, one kiss would have been enough for Brian and Sarah to realize that they were meant to be together, but Nick’s timing couldn’t have been more perfect, or disastrous depending on how you look at it. The sound of squealing tires and a booming bass caused Brian to jump back a good two feet and that was the end of Sarah and Brian’s date. They both knew it and shrugged awkward glances at one another as Nick found his way over to them.

Nick eyed the couple suspiciously and then after sending a split second of the iciest glare he was capable of Brian’s direction, he greeted Sarah with a dashing smile. “I’ve missed you.” He said sliding his arm around her waist.

Nick planted a soft kiss on Sarah’s cheek that sent a chill up her spine. Brian noticed her shiver and felt like he was going to be sick when he watched Sarah’s eyes gloss over the way they had so many times before. Sarah noticed the change of color in Brian’s face. “Brian?” She said feeling truly concerned, “Are you feeling ok?”

“Yeah Bri, you’re looking kind of pale.” Nick agreed.

“I’m ok.” Brian said with a shake of his head. “But I’m gonna go. I’ll talk to you guys later.”

“Later man.” Nick called as Brian made his way into the house.

Sarah watched with worry as he went away. He really didn’t look good when he left and after the day they’d had she hoped he wasn’t getting sick from something he ate. Her attention wasn’t pulled from Brian until Nick demanded it. “I can’t believe I’ve had to wait almost two full days to spend some time with you.”

“Huh?” Sarah said when she realized she hadn’t been listening to him.

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you since the other night. Why don’t we go out to the lake or something where we can talk.”

Sarah was torn. Part of her wanted to go inside and make sure that Brian was alright, part of her wanted to go out to the lake with Nick and part of her was too exhausted to do either. The light was just beginning to fade into the evening but the added emotional stress the day had brought was taking its toll and Sarah just wanted to go relax. “That sounds great Nick.” She said sweetly, “But I’ve had a really long day. I don’t know that I’m up for a trip to the lake.”

Nick pouted expertly at the rejection. “Ok.” He said as if she’d broken his heart. “We’ll forget the lake. But now that I have you I can’t let you go quite yet. Fifteen minutes? We won’t go anywhere, just talk.”

Sarah was tired and had a lot on her mind but she could spare fifteen minutes, especially for Nick. However she had a sneaking feeling that talking to Nick would only add more weight to her already heavy heart. “Fifteen minutes won’t kill me.” She said causing Nick to grin with delight.

Nick’s face perked up and he opened the passenger door to the Corvette. “Step into my office.” He joked.

Sarah laughed as she sank deep into the smooth leather seat and Nick joined her in the car. “So what would you like to talk about?” Sarah asked.

********

After surrendering his love to his brother, Brian had stormed into the house and headed straight for his room where he slammed his door out of frustration just like an angry child. But he didn’t stay put long, he just couldn’t sit still. His brother was downstairs shattering all his dreams and there wasn’t a thing he could do about it, or would do anyway. He began to pace his room and as he passed the window he peered down into the driveway. The image of Nick helping Sarah into his car was too much for Brian to stand. He was suddenly desperate for some air and just as Nick sat down in his car, Brian came out of the house, mustered whatever smile he could as he passed and then drove off. “He really didn’t look very good.” Sarah said as she watched him drive away. “I hope he’s ok.”

Nick laughed, “I wouldn’t worry about him too much. That’s just Brian, always grumpy. The poor guy doesn’t know how to relax.”

“Aw, that’s not true. He and I had a great time today. He wasn’t grumpy at all. He may have been a bit nervous, but it was probably just first date jitters. ”

Nick tried to hide his look of surprise but the shock was too great. “You were with Brian today?” He gasped, “He asked you on a date?”

Sarah laughed, “Well not exactly, it just sort of happened.”

Nick waited for further explanation because his brain was never going to be able to make any sense of this without one. “I came over to invite you to go to this festival with me, but I missed you and Brian said you were going to be gone all day so I asked him to come with me.” Sarah said. “Rescued him actually.” She added with a laugh, “You father was trying to make him go to some boring school thing.”

Nick couldn’t believe what Sarah was telling him. Just what exactly was his brother up to? Brian had left the house long before he did that morning which meant he’d lied to Sarah. And then he went out with her when he knew Nick was interested. Brian may have been a lot of things, but a liar and a betrayer? That was new even for him. Nick was hurt and he felt angry but he didn’t lose control of his emotions, he would save those for Brian. Ultimately no harm had been done though, Sarah was here with him now and he focused on his original goal. He smiled perfectly as if nothing was bothering him. “That was very nice of you.” He said, “But now it’s my turn to be rescued.”

“What could you possibly need to be rescued from?” Sarah laughed.

“Myself.” Nick answered.

“Yourself?”

“Yes. I’m driving myself crazy and I need you to put my heart to rest.”

Sarah laughed at the dramatic line that Nick managed to deliver with a completely straight face. “How could I put your heart to rest if you’re the one driving you crazy? Wouldn’t that mean YOU need to put your heart to rest?”

“But I’m driving myself crazy over you! I can’t stop thinking about you. I mean god, look at you. Before you left you were so…” Nick searched for the right word, but when he couldn’t come up with one he simply kept going. “You’re not so shy anymore and you’re so beautiful now. It’s like you’re this totally new person and I think I might be falling for you.”

Sarah wanted to burst into laughter but Nick seemed so serious that laughing would have been rude. His words were definitely romantic and charming, and they were the words that Sarah’d wanted to hear him say all her life. But now that he’d said them, they just sounded ridiculous. In that moment Sarah’s eyes were opened and she saw Nick without the glossy haze that used to distort her vision. When she looked closely she realized that Nick was not the one for her and her heart was finally set free. She saw things so clearly now that she had a hard time understanding how she could have been so fooled. She smiled very sincerely at Nick. She didn’t want to hurt him. Nick was a very passionate person which would make the pain of rejection that much more intense. “Nick.” She said as gently as she could, “You are a great person. You’ve always been kind to me. You’re passionate and funny and extremely gorgeous.”

Nick smiled at the compliment, but he could feel the rejection in Sarah’s tone of voice. Sarah returned the smile and then continued on with her speech. “But Nick you can’t be falling for me. You barely know me.”

“Then give me a chance to get to know you.”

“You’ve had eighteen years to get to know me.” Sarah said sadly. “I’m still the same girl I always was. And as much as I’ve always wanted this to happen, the truth is, I’m not the girl for you.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because I know you Nick. I’ve watched you all my life.” Sarah said and then smirked. “He was right all along.” She laughed under her breath.

“Who was right?” Nick said confused.

Sarah laughed again. “Nick, you’re fine dining and expensive suits. I’m more like K-mart and a carburetor.”

As Sarah repeated the words that had been so offensive to her just days before, she pictured the look on Brian’s face as he said them and it made her smile. He wasn’t trying to be mean, he was just trying to make her see. He was trying to help her. He understood her. Once again Brian had surprised her and suddenly she wished it was him sitting next to her instead of Nick.

Nick was surprised as much as he was disappointed. Sarah saw his saddened expression and leaned over the center console to place a kiss on his cheek. “You need a girl who is going to spend an extra hour in the bathroom just to make sure she looks extra good for you.” She explained. “A girl who’s afraid of bugs and will call you when she’s stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire. You’re a knight in shining armor Nick. You need a damsel.”

Nick listened carefully to everything Sarah said the girl she was describing matched Deanna perfectly. Nick hated that Deanna was late all time and it was always because she took too long “getting ready”, but she did always look like an angel. And she definitely had that damsel in distress act down. She always seemed to need him for something and not just stupid little things like killing bugs. She needed him on a deeper level and that was something that he loved about her. A dreamy smile crept over Nick’s face. Sarah was relieved to see it but she was intrigued. “I know that look.” She laughed.

“What look?” Nick asked.

“Why are you sitting here with me when there is someone else that can make you smile like that?”

Nick couldn’t think of an answer for that question. Even with Sarah right in front of him his thoughts had quickly turned to Deanna. He pictured her walking down the isle in the dress she’d made such a fuss over, upstaging the bride with her beauty, and suddenly whished he was there to see it. After all the headaches this wedding had caused him over the last few weeks, he couldn’t believe that he was sad he wasn’t going to see it. “You’re right.” He finally said still amazed by his own feelings. “This isn’t where I should be right now.”

“Me either.” Sarah said.

Nick and Sarah exchanged understanding looks and then got out of the car. Sarah headed to her car but before she got in it Nick stopped her. “Sarah?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you. You did rescue me, just not the way I expected.”

“I know the feeling.” Sarah laughed.

Nick stood on the driveway waving until Sarah was gone and then he went inside to find a New York florist and make an overdue phone call.

Sarah went home to call Lance. She was excited to tell him of her newfound freedom. “Are you coming home to me?” He greeted instead of saying hello.

“I’m afraid I have even better news than that.” Sarah laughed.

“There is no better news than that.” Lance whined, “Seriously Sarah, it’s been three days and I’m completely miserable. Come home and play with me.”

“I’m over him!” Sarah announced proudly. “Eighteen years and I’m finally over him!”

“No more Nick Harper?” Lance repeated just to make sure he’d heard right, though he was sure he hadn’t.

“No more Nick Harper.” Sarah confirmed. “And it’s ok. You know, I don’t even feel bad.”

Lance was still skeptical. All he’d heard for the last year as far as Sarah and boys were concerned was Nick Harper this and Nick Harper that. How could she go home and just be over him? “Details.” Lance demanded. “I want every single detail and then I’ll tell you if you’re over him or not.”

Sarah laughed again and Began from where her last phone call had ended, which meant starting with the Chicago trip. She was in such a good mood that her body was restless from excitement and she paced around her house as she explained in great detail everything that had happened. He father eavesdropped from behind his book as best he could and couldn’t help but laugh at his crazy teenage daughter. He was really glad to see her like this though and he silently rejoiced when he overheard her talking about her and Nick’s most recent conversation. As Sarah aimlessly wandered about the kitchen she looked up to catch a glimpse of her father’s smirk and blushed fiercely. “I’m proud of you sweetheart.” He laughed.

“Dad!” Sarah whined and then stepped out onto the front porch where she would have a little more privacy.

“I’m finally free.” She said as she finished her story.

She listened very impatiently to the silence on the other end of the line. “Lance!” she called, “What do you think? This is good right?”

Finally Lance gave his opinion of the situation. “Sarah, Sarah, Sarah!” He sighed. “You are over Nick.”

“But?” Sarah added sarcastically.

“You are not free.”

“What do you mean? I’m not in love with Nick Harper anymore! Of course I’m free.”

“No.” Lance insisted, “You’re still just as much in love as you always were, you’ve just switched from one Harper to the other.”

“What?” Sarah laughed.

“Sarah and Brian sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” Lance sung obnoxiously.

“You’re so immature.” Sarah groaned. “And besides, there was definitely no kissing.”

“She said in utter disappointment.” Lance teased, “See! You love him.”

“I hardly know him.”

“So, you want him like a fat man wants twinkies.”

“Oh that’s nice Lance. I don’t even know why I bother calling you.”

“Because you love me too.”

“Lord only knows why!” Sarah laughed.

“Cause you always want what you can’t have.” Lance smirked.

Sarah finally gave up and laughed at Lance’s corny humor but the laugh was followed by a sigh. He had no idea how true that was. “OK.” She said, “Let’s just say I did like Brian, a tiny, tiny bit.”

“Which you do.”

“Ok maybe I do.” Sarah snapped, “A little. It doesn’t matter because I can’t even go there.”

“Why not?”

“Because he’s in love with some mystery girl. You should hear the way he talks about her. And the look he gets in his eyes. He’s like I was with Nick but like a thousand times worse. I can’t compete with that.”

“Nope. You’re right, you’re screwed.” Lance chuckled.

“Lance!” Sarah whined again, “Help me here! You have to tell me what to do!”

“I already told you.”

“What?”

“Come home and play with me. What do those Harper boys have that I don’t?”

“A Y chromosome.” Sarah laughed.

“Ha Ha.” Lance pouted. “I’m serious. Come home. I can’t survive without you.”

“I’m serious too! I really need your advice.”

Lance sighed. “OK, you want my advice?”

“Please!”

“Kiss the hell out of him.”

“What?”

“You said he almost kissed you today.”

“Yeah?”

“Well then maybe he’s trying to get over this girl. So give him the chance. Tell him you like him and then kiss the hell out of him. If he doesn’t automatically fall to his knees and declare his love for you then he’s crazy and he doesn’t deserve you anyway.”

There was no more hint of play in Lance’s voice and his kind words put Sarah’s heart to rest. “It’s worth a shot.” She said.

“Just promise me that when you guys get married you’ll move to California.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“Well then in that case good luck sweetie. Go get him.”

Sarah chuckled lightly one more time and then said, “Thanks Lance,” as she hung up the phone. “I have to go for a little bit Dad! I won’t be late.” She called into the house.

“Take your time Pumpkin.” Mr. Thompson laughed suddenly appearing at the front door.

“Dad!” Sarah yelled making her father laugh even harder.

“Good luck Honey.” He said as Sarah jumped into her car.