- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions! Hopefully this helps... ps!! If you like good Nick fic's go check out Moony44's "A Return From Hell" :) :) :) She just started posting it and it's gonna be WONDERFUL!!!
Chapter 19


Sarah woke the next morning having slept better than she had in ages. Things between her and Brian happened so fast that as she made her way downstairs in the direction of the cold cereal, her head was only now starting to spin. Sarah had been so lovesick over Nick for so long that finally being able to have romantic feelings for someone other than him was a relief in itself. But to have those feelings returned was better than she could have hoped for and Sarah was overwhelmed by it all.

She’d only spent another twenty minutes or so at the lake with Brian before deciding that she’d better get home to begin the process of explaining everything to her father. She was ready for the task though. She’d spent those twenty minutes telling Brian about San Francisco and how much it was going to be good for him. By the time she got home she was so charged up for the trip that her father couldn’t have stopped her even if he’d tried, which surprisingly he didn’t.

One look from Sarah when she got home was all it took for Mr. Thompson to know that things had gone well, extremely well. Sarah was glowing in a way he’d never seen before. Mr. Thompson playfully pried for the details as he always did, but nearly fell out of his chair when Sarah offered them up freely. She was walking on so much air that she happily told him everything that had happened. When she told him that Brian asked her to go to California with him he was shocked, but not in the way you’d think a father would be. He was surprised that Brian finally had the courage to do what so desperately needed to be done. The fact that Sarah had been the one to give him that courage only confirmed what Mr. Thompson had always suspected. Brian Harper was in love with his daughter. And as scary as it was to know someone felt that way about his baby girl, he couldn’t think of anyone more suited for her than Brian.

When Sarah confessed her plan and shyly asked not for his permission, but for his blessing, his eyes misted over. In that moment he didn’t see his baby girl, but a beautiful young woman who was finally ready to experience her adult life. He had no choice really, though he hated to see her go, but to wish her luck and send her on her way. When he pulled her into his arms and told her to have fun, be safe, and call every fifteen minutes, she laughed through tears of joy. All of her stress, all of her heartache, it was all gone. She went to sleep on the clouds that night and it wasn’t until morning that it all started to catch up with her.

As she sipped on a glass of juice she started to really think about what had happened last night. She realized that even though she’s known him her whole life, Brian was practically a stranger. There was no denying that his kisses were desirable and being held in his arms just felt so right, but was she ready to trust him with her heart? Less than 24 hours ago he told her that his heart was a lost cause and that no one would ever be able to change that. If that were the case, then why did he kiss her? And why would he ask her to take this trip with him?

Sarah began second guessing herself because Brian was still such a mystery to her. Then she realized that her father had been very quick to agree with her and she found that just as strange. Over the years her dad had spent a lot more time with Brian than she had. In a way they were almost friends. Sarah was curious to hear her father’s perspective so she decided to forgo breakfast and head straight over to the shop where her dad was already hard at work. “Shouldn’t you be packing?” Mr. Thompson questioned when Sarah appeared next to him under the hood of a car.

Sarah shrugged. “Wasn’t much to do. I never really got unpacked.”

Sarah was never an expert at hiding her emotions and Mr. Thompson immediately knew something was weighing on her mind. “What’s going on pumpkin?” he asked.

Sarah sighed. “Are you sure you’re ok with this?” she asked.

Mr. Thompson glanced curiously at his daughter and then replied, “Are you sure you’re ok with it?”

“Well yeah.” Sarah said with a hint of hesitation, “I mean it’s not like he asked me to marry him or anything, he just asked me to drive to California with him. I was going back in a month anyway and I know we’ll have fun.”

“But?” Mr. Thompson asked.

“I like him.” Sarah replied. “I really like him a lot.”

Sarah’s dad was quickly becoming confused. “So what’s the problem then? Go. You’ll have fun. You know Brian really needs to get out of here.”

“But that’s just it.” Sarah replied, “He’s in a difficult place in his life right now. He’s confused, brokenhearted, and probably a little vulnerable. I want to help him and I’d like a relationship, but I don’t want to end up getting hurt.”

Mr. Thompson stopped what he was doing and gave his full attention to Sarah. He put a comforting arm around her and said, “Getting into a relationship is always scary. But it you ask me, you have nothing to worry about.”

“What do you mean?” Sarah frowned.

Mr. Thompson smirked ever so slightly. “I think it’s pretty obvious that Brian cares a lot about you sweetie.”

“What?” Sarah gasped.

“Well he went through all that trouble to get the chance to apologize after he’d upset you. And you’ve spent so much time together since you got home. Brian’s usually a very busy guy. If he didn’t want to be with you, he wouldn’t be.”

Sarah’s cheeks flushed but her father’s words rested her worried heart. Brian did go to quite extremes to spend some time with her. The Chicago trip had been disastrous at first, but Brian never gave up and by the end of it, she’d forgotten all about her anger toward him. Why would he do that unless he liked her? And the way his mood changed when she kissed him by the lake was so clear. All of his stress was gone. He seemed… happy. Sarah smiled at the thought that maybe she’d found a way into his heart they way he’d done to her. Mr. Thompson watched her as her mind raced through a hundred thoughts. “If you’re unsure,” he finally said, “The best thing to do is just ask.”

Sarah thought for a moment longer and then kissed her dad on the cheek. “Thanks dad.” She said and then wrapped her arms tightly around him.

Sarah’s dad was right, she needed to talk to Brian. She just needed to clear up the subject of the mystery girl. She needed to know exactly where she stood with him and if the answer was right, then she would happily drive off into the sunset with him. She hopped in her car anxious to see Brian and just before she left Nick’s shiny red corvette pulled up next to her. “Good morning!” she greeted cheerfully when he quickly hopped out of his car.

“Must be.” Nick laughed. “You’re sounding awfully chipper this morning.”

“Well I had kind of an exciting night.” Sarah teased.

“Yeah, me too.” Nick replied sounding every bit as peppy.

“Oh?”

“Yeah.” Nick said as he looked at Sarah with excitement, “A really, really good night and I owe it all to you.”

Sarah was flattered but for the life of herself had no idea what she could have done to cause so much excitement. Nick saw the confusion and sobered up a little. “Look, I owe you an explanation, and really big thank you, so I was hoping I could take you to to get some coffee or breakfast or something.”

Sarah’s curiosity was killing her. Aside from wanting to know what happened to him last night, she was curious to spend some time with him now that she wasn’t terrified of him. She glanced at the old café across the street from the shop and smiled. “I am kind of hungry.” She said with a smile.

Minutes later Nick was perusing a menu. He frowned when Sarah hadn’t picked hers up. “I thought you said you were hungry.”

“She doesn’t need to see a menu, she’s been eating here ever since we opened.” Said a voice interrupting them. “Let me guess, raspberry crepes?”

Sarah smiled at the familiar waitress. “You remembered.” She laughed. “Yes please. It’s been way too long since I’ve had such excellent crepes.”

After the waitress had taken they’re orders Sarah smiled at Nick. “So, what happened to you last night that was so wonderful?”

“Ok, this is going to sound really bad.” Nick warned.

Sarah’s curiosity was now peeked even more and she put on a face of total concentration as she prepared herself for whatever crazy news he had to tell her. There was no easy way to say this so Nick took a deep breath and just spit it out. “My girlfriend and I have decided that we’re going to move in together.”

“Wow.” Sarah said blatantly surprised, of all the things she’d expected, that didn’t come anywhere near making the list.

Nick grimaced as he waited for the typical outburst of female emotion that should come after such a confession, but none came. Sarah was way too surprised by the news to know what to think. “But didn’t you say… All week you…”

“I know.” Nick said cutting her off. “I’ve been a jerk, and I’m sorry.”

“Well I appreciate the honesty,” Sarah said, “But why would you ask me out if you had a girlfriend?”

“Well Deanna was my first serious relationship.”

“Deanna?” Sarah repeated when she heard the name she’d held on to for the last year.

Nick blushed a little then shrugged. “Yeah. We’ve been together for over a year now and lately things have been getting very serious between us. It sort of freaked me out.”

Sarah couldn’t hide the smirk on her face but Nick was lost in his own tale and didn’t notice the reaction. “I was pretty stressed.” He continued, “And then you showed up and you were so beautiful and you said all those things about liking me… I sort of got carried away.”

This time Sarah was the one blushing. “Anyway,” Nick said quickly, not wanting the moment to get awkward. “After our conversation yesterday I realized that I was just scared because I cared so much about her. We had a great talk. I told her everything, all about my feelings, and about you. She was upset at first, but we worked it out and I feel better than I have in weeks.”

“Congratulations?” Sarah replied as her mouth broke into a hint of a smile. “I’m really happy for you guys.”

Just then the waitress returned with Nick and Sarah’s breakfast. They happily dug in and once there meal was underway, Nick struck up the conversation again. In a very humbled voice he said, “I’m really sorry if I’ve done anything to hurt you.”

Sarah was surprised by the sincerity and even a little grateful for it, though she didn’t really feel hurt by his actions. “Actually,” She said with a smirk, “Things sort of turned out perfectly, don’t you think?”

Sarah assumed that Brian would have already told Nick about the two of them, however the look of confusion on his face showed no indication that he knew. “How do you figure?” Nick asked.

“Well,” Sarah said shyly, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but after our conversation yesterday I realized that I wasn’t as crazy about you as I thought.”

Nick playfully threw his hands over his heart as if Sarah had broken it, but when he grinned Sarah giggled. She shrugged and with the slightest layer of blush in her cheeks said, “It turns out that it’s Brian I’m crazy about.”

“Brian!” Nick gasped as he chocked on his food. “Brian Harper? My brother Brian?”

Sarah giggled at how truly stunned Nick was. He stared at her with wide eyes wanting to ask her how, but he couldn’t seem to form any words. “I don’t know?” Sarah answered without making Nick actually complete a full sentence. “The night of your party he was so mean to me that I almost went back to California just to avoid ever seeing him again and now only days later he’s completely swept me off my feet and I’m actually taking him back with me.”

Sarah chuckled and then after another moment said, “Did you know he actually tricked me into going to Chicago with him? I had no Idea that’s where we were going until it was too late. If I didn’t know any better I’d think he was trying to keep me away from you. I can’t blame him though, Nick Harper is quite the competition.”

Nick didn’t respond to Sarah’s compliment. Instead his face paled at the thoughts that were now entertaining his brain. Brian, his brother, was not the type of guy who swept girls off their feet. The thought of Brian actually caring for Sarah never entered Nick’s mind and he feared the worst. He knew Brian was very determined, but he never dreamed he could be so malicious that he would actually use Sarah to get what he wanted. He was filled with rage, but contained it as best he could, he didn’t want to risk hurting Sarah. Sarah saw the emotions despite the fake smile now plastered on his face and was going to ask him about it but he spoke first, “So, what’s this about going back to California?” he asked.

“He didn’t tell you?”

Nick shook his head pushing back the urge to pound his fists on the table. “Brian asked if he could drive me back to San Francisco. We’re gonna take our time, make a nice little vacation out of it.”

“That sounds like fun.” Nick said starting to feel a little relieved that Brian was at least planning on being friends with her after Deanna got home. “So when does school start for you? When are you taking this road trip?”

“As soon as he’s packed.” Sarah said. “Probably an hour or two.”

“Today?” Nick yelled failing to control his anger this time. “You’re just going to up and leave?”

“Brian just needs to get out of here Nick. He needs to get away from this place.” Sarah said startled by Nick’s reaction.

“Is that what he told you?”

“Yeah,” Sarah said becoming upset. “And judging from your reaction I understand why he didn’t bother explaining it to you.”

“Yeah, I’m sure that’s the reason he didn’t tell me.”

“God Nick!” Sarah said harshly, “He’s not Superman ya know. You can’t expect him to stick around here forever living his life for everyone but himself. How selfish can you be?”

“Don’t be so naïve Sarah, you don’t know Brian like I do.” Nick spat standing up from the table. He threw some cash down and muttered, “I gotta go.”

Nick stormed out of the restaurant leaving Sarah stunned and moments away from tears. “You ok there sweetie?” the soft voice of a friendly waitress said behind her.

Sarah smiled up at her and then sighed. “I’m fine.” Sarah replied mindlessly, “I just didn’t realize how bad things were. I don’t understand how he can be so blind when it’s so painfully obvious to me.”


The waitress had no clue what Sarah was talking about but she slumped down in the booth across from her listening anyway. “Lord honey!” she laughed. “That’s just a man being a man.”

The waitress sighed wistfully and her eyes drifted out the window in the direction of the auto shop. “Men will never figure out what they need until us women spell it out for them.”

Sarah eyed the woman curiously as she continued to gaze out the window. With another woeful sigh the waitress said, “Some of us aren’t brave enough to do that though.”

Sarah grinned at the woman who blushed fiercely when she realized that Sarah figured out her secret. “But good for you honey,” She said trying to avoid any questions Sarah might ask. “You did the right thing even if he did get angry and storm out.”

“You’re right.” Sarah said finding her courage again. “I am doing the right thing. I’ve got to get over there before he changes his mind.”

“Good luck honey.” The waitress laughed.

“Thanks Betty.” Sarah replied and then grinned wickedly, “I think you’ve gone above and beyond you’re serving duties this time, I’ll have to put in a good word for ya.”

Sarah winked at the bright red woman and then ran out of the café. Hopefully she could get to Brian before it was too late.