- Text Size +
Chapter 2

Sarah and her father sat quietly in a booth both barely picking at their dinner. Mr. Thompson was sad that his baby girl was leaving in the morning but something else was on Sarah’s mind. Mr. Thompson was startled by a waitress who had come to warm his cup of coffee. She flashed him a brilliant smile and he nervously returned the gesture. He watched the waitress hurry back behind the counter and then turned his attention back to the distressed teenage girl in front of him.

Sarah stared out the window lost in a dream. Outside, the auto shop sat directly across the street. The door to the garage was now closed and the sun was starting to set, but the 57 Chevy was still visible through the windows. “I thought he was going to come pick up the car today.” Sarah practically whined.

Mr. Thompson broke into a smile as the problem at hand suddenly became clear. “I should have known there were ulterior motives when you volunteered to spend your final day in Michigan helping your old man out in the shop.”

Sarah couldn’t help her guilty look. She knew very well that the name on the registration of the car parked in the garage was Harper, and Mr. Harper always sent one of his boys to pick up his latest toy. Sarah had hoped that fate might cut her a break and give her the chance to see Nick one last time before she left. She’d been in love with him as long as she’d known him and she’d been denying it just as long. Mr. Thompson shook his head with a sad smile while Sarah quickly tried to recover. “Give me some credit.” She said with a pout, “This was my last day in town and I wanted to spend it with the worlds greatest dad.”

Mr. Thompson quickly saw right through her flattery and eyed her skeptically. “Then what’s this?” he asked holding up an envelope.

Sarah was shocked to see her dad holding the letter she’d spent the last week trying to get just right. Mr. Thompson saw the petrified look and chuckled. He turned the letter over and tapped his finger on the heart shaped sticker that sealed the envelope shut. “And you think your Aunt Janet is girly.”

Sarah is stunned. “Where did you! How did you!” she stammered defensively, “It’s nothing! Give it back!”

Sarah flew across the table attempting desperately to retrieve the note but Mr. Thompson skillfully kept it just out of her grasp. “A love letter?” he teased.

“Dad!” Sarah squealed as she continued to scramble for the letter.

Finally she tore it from her father’s fingers. She folded it in half and pushed it deep into her pocket. Sarah angrily shoved a bite of food into her mouth as if nothing happened, but Mr. Thompson stared at her waiting expectantly. When she could no longer tolerate his gaze she sent him a piercing stare. “Is it a crime to want to say goodbye?”

“You should have tried saying hello.” Mr. Thompson returned quickly.

Sarah glared at her father even though he made a valid point. The truth stung a little but she couldn’t let her dad have the last word. “You’re one to talk!” she accused.

Mr. Thompson feigned a hurt look but was confused by the remark. Sarah looked at the waitress who was still standing behind the counter. Mr. Thompson followed her gaze. The waitress smiled their direction forcing redness into Mr. Thompson’s cheeks. “The food here’s really not that good.” Sarah spat.

Mr. Thompson opened his mouth in order to defend himself but no words came out. He was busted. He tore his eyes away from the waitress and looked at his daughter with admiration. “I’m really gonna miss you squirt.”

Sarah smiled back calling an unspoken truce between them. “I’ll tell you what.” Mr. Thompson said pulling a set of keys from his pocket, “You want to say goodbye, then say goodbye.”

Mr. Thompson slid the keys to the Chevy across the table at Sarah. “Brian called earlier and asked if I wouldn’t mind dropping it off tonight. Why don’t you take it?”

Sarah's brilliant green eyes shimmered at the opportunity and she was overcome with excitement. “Really?” she squeaked.

“Just pick up the final check when you get there.”

Sarah jumped up from the booth not wanting to waste another second and snatched the keys from the table. She was shaking with anticipation as she took one final sip from her soda. “You’re the best!” she exclaimed kissing her father’s cheek.

Mr. Thompson laughed at the sheer silliness his daughter was displaying. “Thanks dad.” Sarah whispered sincerely throwing her arms around him.

“Good luck Pumpkin.” Mr. Thompson echoed and then gave her one last curious look.

“What is it daddy?”

“That letter doesn’t rhyme or anything does it?” he teased.

“Ewe dad! I’m leaving now!” Sarah laughed as the redness reentered her face.

Mr. Thompson grinned as he watched his daughter practically skip out of the café.

Fifteen minutes or so later Sarah pulled up to an enormous house that had tons of strategically placed lights spread throughout the landscape giving the house the appearance of a natural glow. She stepped out onto the vast expanse of driveway and noticed Nick’s car sitting right out front. She glanced at the house and then ambled over to the convertible with a dreamy look on her face.

The first thing she noticed was a sleek black jacket lying in the front seat. Sarah couldn’t help herself and she pressed the jacket to her face taking in the intoxicating smell. She slipped into a dream for a moment and then pulled the letter from her back pocket. With a deep breath she tucked the letter carefully in the jacket and just as she placed it back where she found it she was startled by a soft voice behind her. “It may be fast but can’t compare to a classic like this.”

Sarah whirled around to see Brian smiling at her through the open windows of the Chevy she’d come to deliver. Startled and curious as to how long he’d been standing there, Sarah forced a smile having no idea what to say. “Nick likes things flashy.” Brian continued, “He has a hard time recognizing real beauty.”

Brian held his gaze on Sarah and waited for a response but Sarah just stood there awkwardly. Brian couldn’t tell whether Sarah didn’t understand the compliment he paid to her or simply chose to ignore it, but when it was clear he wasn’t getting anywhere he gestured to the car. “Your father does beautiful work.” He said.

“I’ll be sure to let him know.” Sarah replied beginning to relax a little, “He said I’m supposed to pick up a check?”

“Oh, right. It’s inside.”

Brian was about to invite Sarah in when the front door to the house swung open and Nick stepped out in a hurry. Sarah immediately became tense as he approached her. “Hi Nick.” She said timidly.

“What are you doing here?” Nick replied with a dashing smile.

Sarah fumbled nervously over her reply. “Oh I just, uh…” When she couldn’t complete a full sentence she pointed at the car.

“Cool.” Nick said nodding casually.

Nick began walking to his car again and Sarah mustered up every ounce of courage she had. “Nick?” she said practically shaking from nervousness when he looked again her direction, “Would it be to much trouble to drop me off at home on the way out?”

Sarah began to hold her breath. She couldn’t believe she’d just asked that. Nick looked at his watch and then to his brother. Finally he smiled at Sarah and said, “I’m sure Brian won’t mind. I’d love to, but I’m already late and…uh…”

Nick looked down at a name that was scribbled on the palm of his hand along with a phone number. “Deanna is waiting for me. Next time though.” He added with a wink.

Sarah was devastated. She managed a weak smile as Nick hopped into his car completely oblivious to her emotion. Brian however, picked up on her disappointment right away. He felt bad for the poor girl. She was trying so hard and Nick barely gave her the time of day. He gave her a sad smile although she didn’t notice it. He tried to take her mind off of Nick and said, “Why don’t we go get that check?”

Sarah glanced at him but didn’t follow him inside. As Brian walked up the steps Nick yelled back to him from the car. “Hey Bri, you left this in my car.”

Sarah watched in horror as Nick grabbed the jacket off the front seat and threw it to Brian who then disappeared into the house. Sarah’s heart began to race and the palms of her hands became clammy as a thin layer of sweat covered them. Nick noticed her face go pale. “Something wrong?” he asked curious to the sudden change.

Sarah starred at Nick in panic but couldn’t force any kind of reply. “You don’t look so good. You feeling ok?” Nick asked again.

Sarah kicked herself internally. Say something idiot! Her brain screamed at her. “Uh,” she mumbled with a shake of her head, “I’m fine.”

She paused for a moment and then decided it was now or never. “It’s just that…” she began but was cut off by the roar of an engine. “All right then,” Nick said buckling his seat belt, “I’ll see ya later.”

Sarah let out a long sigh of disappointment and whispered a sweet, “Goodbye Nick.” as the Corvette sped out of view.

That was it. Sarah was convinced that was the last time she would ever see him again. She would never have a chance now. She was leaving in the morning and while her world ended with the move, his would no doubt keep on turning and someone would finally win his heart. Probably this girl Deanna. The girl he was on his way to pick up right now.

Sarah sighed one more time and wiped a tear that had fallen to her cheek. She stood there watching the tail lights fade until Brian reappeared. Sarah took a deep breath and buried her emotions before turning to face him. Her face went pale again when she noticed that he was wearing the jacket. She saw an envelope in his hand and felt the chunks start to rise in her stomach as Brian smiled confidently. “I believe this is what you’re looking for.” He said holding up the envelope.

Sarah opened her mouth to explain but no words came out. The letter was self-explanatory. She blushed furiously and Brian elaborated, “The check? For your dad?”

“Oh.” Sarah breathed in a sigh of relief, “Right.”

Sarah clumsily took the envelope from Brian and shrugged awkwardly. “Thanks.” She said and turned to leave.

“So, you need a ride home?” Brian said causing her to stop.

“Oh no, it’s ok.” She frowned, “I’ll just walk.”

“I’m going that direction anyway.” Brian offered trying to make Sarah feel more comfortable. “I’m kind of excited to take her out for a spin.” He added gesturing to the newly restored car.

“It’s really not that far.” Sarah said again.

Needing a ride had nothing to do with actually getting home and she already felt stupid enough. Brian walked around the car and opened the passenger door. “I know I’m not six foot two with a dashing smile and a shiny new Corvette, but it’s better than walking home in the dark.”

Moments later Sarah sat in the passenger seat of the Chevy staring out the window with her arms folded tightly across her chest. Brian kept glancing her direction but she ignored him. Her heart was broken. Nothing else mattered anymore. Brian could see how upset she was and wished there were some way he could cheer her up. He began tapping his thumbs on the steering wheel becoming uncomfortable with the silence. Finally he broke it and said, “So… What’s in California?”

Sarah was surprised by the question. She hadn’t told anyone about her move and she wondered how he could possibly know that. Brian saw the confusion and explained himself. “You’re dad said your leaving tomorrow.”

Sarah frowned. “I’m moving in with my Aunt.” She sighed.

“You’re not coming back?” Brian asked trying to mask his surprise. “Why?”

“Apparently I could use a woman’s touch.” Sarah grumbled gesturing quotation marks with her fingers as she said the words.

Brian held back a laugh and nodded his head. “Is that such a bad thing?” he asked playfully, “I bet you clean up nice.”
Brian waited hoping for a smile but Sarah was indifferent to the compliment so Brian sighed. “If it makes you feel any better, you’ll be missed.”

“Not by Nick.” Sarah said no longer attempting to hide any disappointment. “He probably won’t even realize I’m gone. He left so fast I didn’t even get to say goodbye.”

Sarah didn’t notice Brian’s disappointed look. She was too busy gazing out the window. “Isn’t that what this is for?” he asked pulling an envelope from his jacket pocket.

Sarah stared wide-eyed at the letter. She noticed the seal had been broken. “You read it!” She yelled desperately.

Brian shrugged. “There was no name on it. I got half way through it before I realized it was for Nick and then… I had no idea it was from you. It’s a really nice letter. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to embarrass…”

“Look just forget it.” Sarah said cutting him off.

Sarah turned her body as far away from Brian as she possible could. She was humiliated and devastated. Tears formed in her eyes and she turned her head to the window in an attempt to hide her face from Brian. There was a suffocating silence the rest of the way to Sarah’s house. When they pulled into the driveway Sarah stepped out of the car without saying a word. Brian noticed the letter still sitting on the seat. He stepped out of the car and followed Sarah to the porch just before she stepped through the front door. “Sarah?” he asked gently. He held up the letter. “Do you still want me to give this to Nick?”

Sarah took the letter from Brian. Brian gazed into her pain filled eyes, sad to see the tears that had formed in them. Sarah stared at the letter for a moment and then ripped it in half letting the pieces fall to the porch. “It’s not like he wanted it anyway.” She said feeling completely defeated.

Her eyes met Brian’s again and she forced a smile. “Thanks for the ride.” She whispered and then disappeared through the door leaving Brian standing alone on the front porch.

Brian stood helplessly for a moment staring at the ripped up confession at his feet. When he finally made his way back to the car he noticed the light flip on in Sarah’s room. He watched for a minute wondering and then released a heavy sigh. “Goodbye Sarah.” He whispered and then drove away.