- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is it folks... Moment of truth, the end of the story... Hope it lives up to expectations! I just wanted to say thanks again for all of the supprot! You guys are the best!!!! ---And to my wonderful muse, this one's for you! (may you and Brian live happily ever after!)
Chapter 21

Nick ran after Brian but it was too late. By the time he got outside Brian was long gone. Nick felt awful. He knew Brian wouldn’t get very far, but he couldn’t stop feeling like he’d royally screwed over his brother. That hadn’t been his intention, but then, it never was. Nick needed to do something. He needed to make things right. Nick needed to clean up his own mess for once but had no idea how to do it. He needed to calm down and he needed a plan. He needed, “Dee?”

“Hi baby.” Deanna chirped into the phone.

“Honey I messed up.”

“Déjà vu.” Deanna giggled, “Didn’t we have this conversation yesterday?”

“I mean it Deanna. I screwed up big this time. It’s Brian. I need your help.”

Deana’s playful attitude turned serious when she heard the hint of panic in Nick’s voice. “Ok sweetie calm down.” She said, “Tell me what’s going on and we’ll find a way to fix it.”

Nick took a deep breath. “Babe, you are not going to believe this…”

********

Brian sat for a while staring out at the water from the very spot he’d been holding Sarah just hours before. Until this week he’d never spent much time at the lake, he wasn’t really much of a water person, but now he couldn’t tear himself away from it. The short time he’d spent last night would now be his most cherished memory and his most haunting nightmare, a constant reminder of what he almost had. How had things gone so wrong so fast? He thought of going after her. If he could just have two minutes to explain himself he knew she would be able forgive him, but then he would picture the look on her face when she told him she never wanted to see him again and his feelings of guilt and remorse would overtake him.

His hope was all but shattered, but he refused to give up entirely. He may not be able to have Sarah, but hearts heal with time. Sarah had done so much more for him than just waken his heart. She’d given him life. She’d given him the strength and courage to stand up for himself. And if that was all she would ever give him, then he was going to cherish it. Brian was not going home. He too needed to move on. He stood from his resting spot, pulled himself away from the lake and just before he left, glanced out at the water one last time and whispered a sweet goodbye.

********

Mr. Thompson heard the sobs before he saw Sarah. She ran into the garage and threw herself into the comfort of her daddy’s arms not caring in the least that he was head to toe covered in grease. Mr. Thompson held her tightly and his heart broke at the feel of her trembling body. He didn’t say anything. He knew his daughter and knew that when she was this upset it was best to just let her work it out. After a moment Sarah was able to stop the tears long enough to smile at her father. “You ok pumpkin?”

Sarah shook her head lightly but then replied, “I will be though.”

“You want to tell me what happened?”

Again Sarah shook her head and suppressed more sobs, “Let’s just say that Lance will have me all to himself when I go back to California.”

“Sweetheart?”

“It’s ok though Daddy. It’s probably better that way.” Sarah smirked through her depression, “Lance gets kind of jealous sometimes.”

Sarah laughed bitterly at her not so funny joke and then more tears began to stream down her face. Mr. Thompson pulled his distressed daughter back into his arms. “I’m sorry Sarah.”

“Don’t be dad.” She said gaining control of herself once again. “Everyone has to have their heart broken sometime. At least now I should be able to put the Harpers behind me forever.”

Mr. Thompson sighed, “I guess that would probably be a good thing for you, but you know, you can do that without leaving. If you wanted to stay, I wouldn’t object.”

“I know dad.” Sarah said turning her frown once more into a sad smile. “It’s not that I don’t love you, but San Francisco suits me more. I need to go back.”

Mr. Thompson smiled. “You always were too much of a good thing for this small town to handle.”

Sarah rolled her eyes, but threw her arms around her father again. “I love you dad.”

“I love you too pumpkin, and I’m gonna miss ya.” Mr. Thompson replied as he squeezed his baby girl as tightly as he could. “It gets really lonely around here without you.”

Sarah pulled away from her father and grinned mischievously. “It doesn’t have to ya know. I think maybe it’s time you moved on too,” she said. “I know mom wouldn’t want you spending the rest of your days alone.”

Mr. Thompson frowned, but Sarah smiled even bigger and then glanced over her shoulder at the café across the street. Mr. Thompson followed her gaze curiously. “I think maybe it’s time for a coffee break, don’t you?”

Sarah gave her dad a little nudge and she grinned when he nervously cleared his throat, still staring in the café windows. “Don’t you need a ride to the airport?”

“Don’t worry about me dad. I’m a big girl, you go get that coffee.”

Mr. Thompson stared proudly at Sarah for a moment before his eyes drifted back to the cafe. “Come visit me in California?” Sarah said.

“As soon as I can.”


********

When Brian didn’t come home that night or show up all day, Nick’s stress levels went from bad to worse to dangerous. He thought for sure he would have called by now, but he hadn’t, and then one more night passed. Nick didn’t sleep all night. His concern was more than just wanting to make things right now; he was genuinely scared for his brother. He didn’t believe that Brian would actually leave, but he had, and he’d left angry and heartbroken. Nick was worried that something bad might have happened to him.

By the time morning came, Nick was barely functional. If Deanna hadn’t appeared in the doorway when she did, he may have just had a complete meltdown. She took one look at him and held open her arms. Nick fell into them as though he’d never missed anyone more in his life. “You’re home early.” He said before pulling her in for a much needed kiss.

“Only one day. Veronica left for her honeymoon last night and you sounded so stressed on the phone that I jumped a red eye.”

“I don’t deserve you.”

“No, but you love me and that’s good enough.” Deanna teased. “Now, let’s go get Brian shall we?”

“He hasn’t called. It’s been two days and he hasn’t even called to let us know he’s ok. I don’t know how to find him.”

“He’s in Grosse Point.” Deanna giggled, “At your Uncle Jack’s house.”

Nick stared at Deanna too relieved to be confused at first but eventually the bewilderment caught up to him. When Deanna saw the mystified look she giggled. “You mom’s out front in her flower garden. I asked her on the way in.”

“Bri called my mom?”

“Actually she said your Uncle Jack gave him away. So, should we go get him?”

Nick grinned from ear to ear. “We have one stop to make first.”


Nick and Deanna made one stop on their way out of town at Mr. Thompson’s auto shop. Nick was a little nervous about talking to Sarah’s dad, but it had to be done. Mr. Thompson didn’t take a whole lot of convincing though, so they weren’t there for but a few minutes. After that they drove out to the eastern most border of Detroit, not to mention the nicest. Nick and Deanna had come up with a plan, now all they needed to do was convince Brian.

Nick knocked on the door to his Uncle’s house and held his breath as he waited for an answer. Deanna smiled at her nervous boyfriend and laced her fingers through his for support. “Don’t worry.” She whispered just as the door swung open.

Brian smirked when he saw the familiar faces. “I knew Uncle Jack couldn’t keep a secret.”

Without any further greeting Brian walked back into the house leaving the door open behind him. Nick and Deanna followed him into the house and joined him at the dining room table where he had been busy on his laptop. Nick and Deanna sat there staring at Brian for a moment but he expertly ignored them as he clicked away. “What are ya doing?” Nick asked trying to sneak a peek at the computer screen.

“Looking up colleges actually.” Brian sighed, “I was thinking maybe I’d go back for my masters. What do you think about Florida? I hear it’s really nice there.”

“I think it’s as far away from San Francisco as you can get without actually crossing an ocean.”

Brian glanced up at his brother with a piercing glare. “What are you doing here?” he grumbled.

Nick rolled his eyes. “What are you doing here Brian? This is stupid. Just come home and finish what you started.”

Deanna opened up the briefcase she’d brought with her and slid a signed partnership agreement across the table. “We’re all ready to go.”

Brian looked down at the paper with an empty expression. After a moment of silence he took the contract and ripped it in half. “No thanks.”

Nick smiled at Deanna. “You see?”

Deanna giggled and Brian could feel his anger rising as he met their smirks. “Yeah, but how did you know he would actually tear it up?” Deanna questioned Nick.

Nick shrugged, “Maybe I know my big brother a little better than he thinks I do.”

With a deep breath Brian ran his hands through his hair fighting the urge to give it a good tug. “Would you guys just get to the point already?”

“Alright.” Nick smirked.

Deanna pulled another contract from the briefcase, the real copy, and slid it across the table to Brian. “Don’t tear this one up. We’ll need it in order to open next month.”

Deanna now had Brian’s full attention. Nick cleared his throat as if about to make a very important speech and then said, “Thanks for the little to do list you left me. I never could have figured any of that stuff out without it.”

Brian stared at his brother in utter amazement. He hadn’t been so sure that Nick would understand any of it even with the help. He couldn’t believe he was actually putting forth some effort; he even seemed excited about it. It almost broke his heart to say no. “I’m sorry Nick.” He said, “But I can’t come home.”

“I know.” Nick replied, “That’s why Deanna and I have decided to hire a manager to run the business for us, at least while we’re in college. Then after we graduate, and I don’t know maybe get married or something, then we can take over the business together.”

Deanna stopped giggling over the marriage comment long enough to add, “Of course you will still be a partner, so if you decide you don’t like California then you can always come back home.”

“Florida.” Brian corrected as he gritted his teeth.

“Come on Brian.” Nick sighed. “You have to go.”

“Aren’t you the one who so graciously pointed out what a terrible idea that was?”

“That was before I knew how much you loved her.”

Brian’s mouth hung open in sheer astonishment. He knew he felt that way, but he’d kept it so secret for so many years, that to hear somebody say it out loud nearly knocked the wind from him. “It’s true, isn’t it?” Nick repeated, “You love her.”

Brian felt almost ashamed of his feelings, but he didn’t know why. He figured it was because the truth of it hurt too much. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Yes it does. Bri, if you love her, you can’t just give her up.”

“She doesn’t want to see me.” Brian grumbled, “Ever again, remember?”

“She doesn’t know the truth.”

Nick reached into his pocket and pulled out a small piece of grease stained paper with an address scribbled on it. “Here.” He said handing Brian the San Francisco address. “Mr. Thompson seems to agree with me that she’ll give you the chance to explain.”

Brian stared down at the paper in his hand. He couldn’t believe Nick had gone through all this trouble. “Go.” Nick urged.

“Why are you doing this?” Brian asked memorizing the set of numbers he was looking at.

Nick smiled the most sincere smile he’d ever smiled in his life. “Because you’ve always cleaned up my messes. It’s time for me to clean up yours for once.”

Brian couldn’t believe his ears and didn’t know what to say. Nick smirked and then added, “Besides it’s sort of my fault she thinks you’re the biggest jerk on the planet and is probably getting fat on Ben and Jerry’s right now. If I were you I wouldn’t wait too long or she’ll blame you for gaining five pounds too.”

Brian didn’t want to laugh but couldn’t stop himself from cracking a smile. “Cheesecake.” He smirked. “Not Ben and Jerry’s.”

Deanna reached across the table and placed her hand on top of Brian’s. “That’s why you have to go. Trust me, she’ll hear you out, and when she realizes how much you love her, she’ll forgive you.”

“No she won’t.”

“Even if she doesn’t,” Nick said, “You owe her the explanation.”

“Yeah, well maybe you should go. She likes you better anyway, always has.”

“No she doesn’t. Now you’re just making up excuses. What was it she said to me the other day?” Nick laughed as he tried to recall Sarah’s exact words, “I think she called me fine dining and expensive suits and then referred to herself as K-mart and a carburetor.”

Brian froze when he heard his own words being thrown at him and it gave him a glimmer of hope. Nick could see in Brian’s eyes that he was getting to him; he couldn’t stop now. “I hate to admit it,” He continued, “But her exact words were, ‘It turns out that it’s Brian I’m crazy about.’”

“She said that?”

“Shocking, I know.” Nick teased. “Come on. If you leave now you can probably still make it by a decent hour.”


********

Brian knocked timidly on the large wooden door and was surprised when a young blond opened it. Lance sized up the curious stranger and smiled approvingly into his fierce blue eyes. “Are you looking to get married?” he asked raising a suggestive brow.”

Brian did a double take as his mind pieced together the blatant advance, then took a step back to double check the address on the building. Lance laughed, thinking the innocence of the stranger was amusing. “Are you looking for Janet Thompson?” he asked a little more seriously this time. “The wedding planner?”

“Uh, actually, um, I was hoping to see Sarah.”

All of the friendliness that Lance over exuded twenty-four seven vanished instantly. “Which one are you?” he demanded.

“Excuse me?”

“I know you’re one of those awful Harper boys, which one are you?”

Brian gulped. He hadn’t expected he’d have to get through security first. “I’m the stupider one.” Brian muttered.

“Well, well, well. I wondered if you’d show up looking for her.”

“Please I just want to talk to her.”

“Brian, is it?”

Brian nodded. “You should have saved yourself the trip.”

Lance stepped back inside but Brian placed his hand on the door before it could be slammed in his face. “Wait!” he said, “I have to see her.”

“She doesn’t want to see you.”

“I screwed up ok?” Brian pleaded, “I’ve never been completely logical when it comes to Sarah.”

Lance’s interest was peaked by the confession and he hesitantly stepped back outside. Brian let out a short breath of relief. “You have to let me talk to her. She turned my life upside down this week and I don’t think I can live her without now.”

Brian waited anxiously for passage into the house, but was instead attacked by Lance. “Oh my God that is just the most romantic thing I’ve ever heard!” He cried as he threw is arms tightly around Brian. “Oh my god you have to tell her that.”

“Does that mean I can go inside?” Brian asked as he attempted to escape the hug.

“She’s not here.” Lance sighed as he slowly pulled himself away from Brian. “She left an hour ago. She said she needed some air, but I can call her.”

“No need.” Brian said as Lance whipped out his cell phone. “I think I might know where she is. Could you tell me how to get to the Golden Gate Bridge?”

Lance grinned wickedly and then looked at the rental car parked on the street. “You know what?” he said, “I’ll drive.”

Lance frowned when Brian looked at him as if he were insane. “If you think I’m going to miss this, you’re crazy.”

Fifteen minutes later Brian stared up at the beautiful rust-colored beams of the most famous bridge in all the world. His heart was beginning to skip a beat every so often as he anticipated his arrival. Moments later Lance pulled off the highway in front of a small path. He stared down the path nervously, knowing he would find Sarah at the other end. Lanced watched him take a deep breath and then gave him an encouraging smile. Brian released the breath and then heaved himself from the car and slowly made his way down the trail.

Sarah sat just a few steps off the beaten path mindlessly pulling long strands of grass as she watched the ships sail under the bridge. Her mind seemed to be a million miles from where she sat. Her expression was somber and her eyes were dark red as if instead of sleeping she’d spent the nights crying. Brian stood there watching her pluck the grass and then let the breeze whisk it away from her fingers. It was almost as if she was waiting for the wind to carry her away too.

It hurt Brian to see the pain he had caused her and he worried that he wouldn’t be able to take it away. While he stood there trying to figure out how to say hello, Sarah felt his stare burning a hole in the back of her head. She looked up and froze when their eyes met. Brian slowly waked toward her “What are you doing here?” Sarah whispered when Brian took a seat next to her.

“You never gave me a chance to explain.”

“I think Nick did just fine the other day. You can spare me the details.”

“Nick was wrong. He jumped to conclusions because he was angry.”

“Sounded like he had a reason to be.” Sarah said as she cast her eyes back out to the bay.

Hearing the bitterness in Sarah’s voice made Brian let out a sigh. “You’re right. He did have a good reason to be mad at me, and so do you. I lied to you Sarah. I did everything I could to keep my brother away from you. And I’m sorry that I hurt you, but I didn’t know what else to do, I was desperate. I couldn’t let him steal you away when you had just walked back into my life.”

Sarah stopped pulling grass and closed her eyes trying not to let Brian’s words get to her. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying I love you Sarah.”

Sarah whipped her eyes away from the water so fast that it took a moment for them to focus on Brian’s desperate gaze. What he was saying couldn’t be possible. She wanted it to be true so badly it hurt, but she didn't know how to trust him. “I love you.” He said again. “This has been the most amazing week of my life and it’s all because of you. I can’t lose you now. I need you.”

Tears began spilling from Sarah’s eyes and Brian reached up to wipe them away, but she pulled away from his touch. “You spent all week telling me about some girl who has your heart locked away from the world and that your feelings could never change. How is today any different?”

“It’s not.” Brian smiled gently. “Do you remember this?” he asked as he retrieved an old faded piece of paper from his pocket. The paper had been ripped in half and then taped back together. Brian continued to talk as Sarah scanned the letter in shock. “I fell in love years ago with a girl who was in love with my little brother.”

Sarah placed a hand over her mouth as she read the lost confession. “This is the letter I wrote to Nick.” She whispered faintly.

“But it says, so beautifully, everything I always wanted to tell you.”
Sarah took a moment and just let herself feel the shock. She then let the letter fall to her lap and threw her arms around Brian. Brian let her squeeze him for a moment and then dried her tears once more before proving the feelings in his heart with a powerful kiss. Now that there was nothing holding him back, he gave his entire soul to her and the kiss sent shivers through Sarah’s entire body. All of her doubt and her fear and her pain was gone, now there was only love.

The kiss was interrupted by a high-pitched giddy squeal off in the distance. Sarah and Brian looked over to see Lance jumping wildly up and down. “I think there’s something seriously wrong with your friend.” Brian frowned.

“He just gets a little excited over happy endings.” Sarah laughed.

“But this is just the beginning.” Brian replied throwing his lips on Sarah’s once more.