- Text Size +
Chapter 3

It’s all hustle and bustle in the great city of San Francisco. The sun shined down on the picturesque metropolis making it every bit as beautiful as it’s postcards claim. Large ships sailed to sea beneath the monumental Golden Gate Bridge. Hundreds of tourists were busy window shopping on the famous Fisherman’s Warf and trolleys sailed gracefully down the steep hills cheerfully ringing their bells as they went. It was a far cry from the serenity of Whitmore Lake and as Sarah stepped out of the airport shuttle van in front of her aunt’s house she was overwhelmed by it all. As a driver set a couple of raggedy old suitcases on the curb Sarah glanced up the street marveling at the long row of connected houses. “Haven’t these people heard of grass?” she wondered aloud stepping up to the front door.

Sarah took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. An intensely beautiful woman significantly younger than Sarah’s father answered the door. She looked as if she’d stepped straight out of a modern woman magazine. She was wearing a sexy yet sophisticated dress suit and was frantically flipping through her daytimer. She flashed Sarah an intoxicating smile while yelling into the mouthpiece of a cell phone that hung from her ear. She waved Sarah in and shut the door behind her. “I don’t care how you do it,” she ordered into the phone, “Just get it done!”

Sarah watched mystified as she snapped her phone shut. The woman closed her eyes and took several slow deep breaths as if she were in some yoga class. Once calm she opened her eyes and threw her arms around Sarah. “Welcome!” she cried with excitement practically squeezing the life out of Sarah.

“Hey Aunt Janet.” Sarah said trying her best to take a step back from the intense woman.

“I’m glad to see you made it ok. I’m really sorry I couldn’t come get you but if you haven’t noticed I’ve had a bit of a crisis today.”

Sarah shrugged. “The airport was a little chaotic but I’m still in one piece.”

“Chaotic?” Janet smirked, “Chaotic is serving lamb to a vegetarian wedding party.”

Janet grabbed one of the suitcases and headed up the stairs. “Come on,” she laughed as Sarah stared blankly around the house, “Your room’s this way. I’ll help you unpack.”

Janet threw the suitcase down onto the bed of the guest room and Sarah placed the other next to it. Janet had not stopped rambling since Sarah arrived. “Your dad tells me you like cars,” she said, “I found a good deal on an old car. It needs some work, but I though you might like to fix it up. Then you’ll have something to do this summer and a way to get to school in the fall.”
Janet stopped talking and stood over the luggage puzzled. “Is this everything?” she asked as if that were impossible.

Sarah nodded and Janet broke into laughter. “Wow!” she exclaimed, “I would need more bags than this for my shoes alone.”

Sarah forced a smile and then began to wander about her new room. She looked out the window and saw a beat up old Mustang parked on the curb. Janet was right, it was pretty beat up but at least it was a classic year. She turned around to see Janet pulling things from the suitcases and hanging them in the closet. Sarah was a little confused why she was hanging up jeans but she didn’t bother to ask. Janet pulled a pair of overalls from the suitcase and held them up to examine them. They had grease stains on them and were starting to get worn out in the knees. She wrinkled her nose. “No offense Sarah, but you’re not going to turn many heads walking around in stuff like this all the time. Don’t you own a skirt?” She asked rummaging through what still remained in the suitcase.

“Oh, I don’t wear dresses.” Sarah replied.

Janet laughed but Sarah didn’t. Janet stopped her giggling and stared in disbelief at her niece. “You’re serious?” She gasped, “You really don’t own a skirt?”

Sarah shrugged and Janet shook her head in bewilderment. Finally she shrugged and her eyes lit up with excitement. “We can fix that easy enough. There’s tons of great shopping in this town. We’ll go this week.”

Janet’s phone rang and she groaned as she looked at the caller ID. She smiled at Sarah with a wink and then skipped out of the room. Sarah flopped down on the bed pushing the suitcases to the floor. “This is going to be a long year.” She said with a sigh.


********

A man in a tuxedo sat behind a beautiful grand piano filling a swanky restaurant with a romantic melody. Brian and Nick sat at a table set for four. Nick stared curiously at the door to the ladies room. Brian watched a well-dressed couple twirling gracefully on a small dance floor. The lovebirds shared a quick kiss and Brian began nervously fidgeting with his collar. “I can’t believe you talked me into this.” He said swallowing a large gulp of ice water. “I feel like Jerry Lewis doubling with Cary Grant.”

“What do you suppose they do in there for so long?” Nick said ignoring his brothers’ complaints.

“I don’t understand why you couldn’t get one of your buddies to baby-sit this girl.” Brian grumbled.

“You should be thanking me Bri. When’s the last time you went on a date?”
“I don’t have time to worry about girls.”

Nick sighed at the agitated tone in his brother’s voice. “Explain to me why your taking a full coarse load again? I think you completely missed the point of summer break.”

“The sooner I graduate the sooner I get out of here.” Brian sighed.

“You wouldn’t dare leave me alone in that house. It’s bad enough having you away at the dorms during the week. Remember you promised you’d save me from becoming the next President of the U of M Alumni.”

Brian rolled his eyes but then smiled at his younger brother. “That’s better.” Nick said when he saw the smile. “Keep the smile. I need you to at least pretend to enjoy yourself tonight. I need you to be my wing man on this one.”

“Your wing man?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow at Nick.

“You’ve gotta help me out. Deanna’s worried that I’m not serious about our relationship.”

Brian laughed recalling Nick’s track record for meaningless flings. “Deanna sounds like a smart girl.” He teased.

“Come on Bri. It’s different this time. I really like this one. You gotta help me look good.”

“What do you mean it’s different this time? Different how? You want get married or something?”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down. It’s been a month. I just want to get past a fifth date.”

“Right.” Brian said with a laugh and then sat up straight as their dates returned from the restroom.

A little later Brian cringed as Deanna fed Nick a bite of her pasta. This has been the most uncomfortable date Brian’s ever been on. He and his date both squirmed awkwardly in their chairs as Nick kissed Deanna. One kiss became two and Brian kicked Nick underneath the table. Nick looked at Brian somewhat hurt while Brian glared back. Seeing his brother’s discomfort, Nick rolled his eyes and then turned his charm toward Brian’s date. “So Veronica, Deanna says you’re an art major at NYU?”

“Art history.” Veronica corrected.

“That sounds fun.” Nick said making polite conversation.
“I like it.” Veronica shrugged.

Nick glared at his brother hinting at him to say something. Brian thought for a minute and then said, “It must be nice to study something you love.”

“Isn’t that the point?” Veronica asked a little less than impressed at Brian’s statement.

Brian was drowning and Nick stepped in to save him. He forced a laugh and said, “You’ve obviously never met our dad.” Nick laughed again and then in a tone of voice that clearly mocked his father said, “You have to be practical if you’re going to make it in this world. No time for play son, that’s what retirement is for.”

“I’m a business major.” Brian shrugged.

“Sounds fascinating.” Veronica replied sarcastically.

“It’s not so bad.” Brian defended himself thinking that the chemistry between him and this girl couldn’t have been worse, “Nick and I want to start our own business together. It’ll be worth it to be my own boss some day.”

Deanna looked at her boyfriend surprised. This news impressed her. “You want to start your own business? Oh honey, that’s so ambitious of you. And so cute.” She whined in a patronizing tone.

Nick flashed a look to Brian that sort of said, now your talkin’ and grinned wickedly at Deanna. “Well I’m a cute guy.”

Deanna couldn’t resist the smile and giggled as she rubbed noses with Nick. The two kissed again. Brian cringed again and forced an awkward smile at Veronica. She politely returned the gesture and broke the awkward moment by asking, “What kind of business are you going to start?”

“We don’t really know yet, maybe something to do with cars. Although we have slightly different taste, that is one passion that Nick and I share.”

Deanna pulled her lips away from Nick with a laugh. “That’s the truth.” She said, “I don’t know what it is about the Harper men and their cars. You should come by the house sometime. Grandfather is always looking for someone to show off his collection to.

Brian’s interest was peaked for the first time all evening and he sat up in his chair. “Your grandfather collects cars?”

Nick beamed with pride. “He has a garage that would make Henry Ford jealous.”

“Really?” Brian asked curiously thinking that this evening may not be a total waste after all.



******

It was another bustling day in the big city and Janet was one of the busiest bodies in it. She was quickly unpacking boxes from the trunk of her car and setting them on the front steps of her house. Her assistant, a young man the same age as Sarah, carried the boxes inside the house. Sarah drove up in the Mustang and parked out front. The cherry red car sparkled like new. “Back already?” Janet asked when Sarah stepped out of the car.

“Almost didn’t make it back.” Sarah laughed.

“Still having problems with the engine?”

“No.” Sarah said with a smirk, “But does there have to be a stop sign at the top of every single hill in this city?”

Janet chuckled. Sarah leaned against the door and proudly patted the vehicle. “I think she’s finally finished.” She announced.

“She’s fabulous!” Janet’s assistant exclaimed walking back outside.

The young man who was now admiring Sarah’s car surprised her. She forced back a giggle and looked curiously at her aunt. “You remember my assistant, Lance?”

Lance offered Sarah a flimsy handshake and she smiled at him. “The guy who wouldn’t hand me a wrench because he didn’t want to ruin his manicure?” she chuckled, “How could I forget?”

“The condition of one’s hands says so much about a person.” Lance replied dramatically and took a close look at Sarah’s hands. He wrinkled his nose at the grease-stained calluses and chewed up nails. “We have got to get these fixed before your big debut.”

Lance dropped her hand and picked up another box. “My what?” Sarah asked following Janet and Lance into the house with the last box.

“I told you she’s not going to like the idea.” Janet said to Lance as if Sarah weren’t even in the room.

“What idea?” Sarah demanded.

“A party.” Janet sighed knowing that Sarah would protest.

“Uh-uh.” Sarah said shaking her head forcefully.

“A beach party.” Lance elaborated hoping it might help sway her.

“No way!” she replied.

“You have to.” Lance said with a whine, “Every year the school throws a huge back to school party for the new seniors. The ocean, a barbeque, a DJ… Justin and Chris playing volleyball in the sand shirtless…”

Sarah and Janet exchanged glances as Lance drifted off into a dream. “It would be a good way for you to get to know some of the other kids.” Janet suggested.

Sarah hesitated but then gave up her protest. “Fine.”

Lance clapped his hands together excitedly. “Oh goody! I just love parties! Come, come. We have a lot of work to do.”

Lance grabbed Sarah and began to drag her out by the arm. “I am not getting my nails done.” She warned him and then turned her attention back to Janet, “And I’m not wearing a skirt!”

Lance pushed Sarah out the door and flashed a wicked smile at Janet. “It’s a beach party.” He giggled, “You don’t need a skirt, you need a bikini.”

The day of the party Sarah sat in the parking lot at the beach watching a couple of girls walk past her wearing bikini tops and sarongs. She frowned and announced to Lance, who was sitting shotgun, that she was not getting out of the car. Lance opened the door and dragged her out. Sarah clung tightly to the giant beach towel that she had wrapped around her body. Lance stole the towel revealing a plain one-piece swimsuit and some cut off shorts. Lance took off running toward the crowd while Sarah chased after him.