- Text Size +
Chapter 7

After a hearty pep talk over the phone from her best friend who was an expert in both boys and wardrobes, Sarah found herself standing in front of the Harper House with high hopes. Her heart fluttered with excitement and anticipation. She looked down at the brightly colored floral print on the sundress dress she was wearing. It rested at her knee and accentuated the figure she always thought was nonexistent until Lance told her otherwise. As it turns out she’d always had it, she just hid it under t-shirts and baggy overalls. She wasn’t as big up top as she would have liked but Lance said that was an easy thing to fix. He said the best thing to do was to give the guys something else to think about.

“Nothing drives a guy crazy like bare skin.” He said when he’d pulled the very dress Sarah was now wearing off the store rack. Sarah’d never worn anything like it but after she tried it on Lance just wouldn’t rest until it was hers. The spaghetti straps were there purely as decoration and the only back the dress had was a crisscrossing set of ribbons that tied into a bow. Sarah could feel the moist summer breeze tickling her skin and she was suddenly grateful for the hot Michigan weather. The sun had finally set but it was still warm and the air was a little thick, a typical summer night. It was the perfect setting for what Sarah was sure would be a night she was going to remember for the rest of her life. How many years had she spent wishing Nick would want her to be a part of his life? It was finally happening and Sarah was not about to let this moment pass her by.

The front of the house was deserted but the doors were open and the faint sound of voices chattering and music could be heard coming from out back. It was well past eight but Sarah had learned the importance of being fashionably late. How is a girl to make an entrance if there’s nobody there to see it? Normally Sarah wasn’t the type to make grand entrances but this was her one shot to impress the boy of her dreams and no doubt there would be plenty of beautiful girls at this party all hoping to win the same thing she longed for, to be the girl Nick offered to take home at the end of the evening.

She sighed dreamily at the thought and then shook off the tiny hint of nerves that had settled in her stomach. “Here goes nothing.” She whispered to herself as she stepped through the house onto the back patio.

She stood for a moment appreciating the beauty of the scene. The pool was illuminated and sparkling lights twinkled in the large oak trees. There was a grand buffet table and an elegant dance floor in the middle of the yard. The party was as extravagant as some of the weddings she’d helped her aunt plan but the Harper’s never were a family to keep things low key.

During the few moments Sarah stood there enjoying the scenery she managed to capture the attention of more than a few pairs of prowling eyes. She could feel the gazes and knew the group of young men was staring, probably wondering who she was but she wasn’t worried about them. Her thoughts were fixed on one person and him alone. Nick’s eyes found her before she saw him and a smile creped across his face. Never taking his eyes off her, Nick excused himself and pushed his way through the cluster of envious friends. “Sarah!” He greeted with excitement.

He grabbed her hands to pull her close and brushed his lips against her cheek. Sarah was determined to stay absolutely calm and confidant even though her heart was forgetting to beat every so often. “I see your memory is working properly now.” She teased.

“I’m glad you made it.” Nick answered.

“It’s a lovely party.”

“It is now.” Nick said gazing into her eyes as if he were love struck.

Sarah’s stomach lurched up into her throat but she managed to swallow it back to its proper place leaving only a hint of redness in her cheeks. Nick smiled confidently when she glanced nervously at her feet. “How about a drink?” he asked and held out his hand out to escort Sarah to a table piled with refreshments.

He poured her a glass of punch and then one for himself. Sarah was glad to have something in her hands that would keep her from fidgeting. “Thank you.” She said and then took a sip. “So, blue and gold?”

Nick looked around at the Michigan color scheme and shrugged. “My father’s idea. Wolverine pride.”

“You’ll be carrying on the grand tradition then?”

Nick nodded. “Can I look forward to seeing you around campus?

“Headed back to California actually, end of the summer.”

Nick smile dropped from his face into a pout that made Sarah laugh. “But you just got back.” He whined, “Why would want to leave again?”

Sarah giggled and Nick’s playful pout turned serious. “Why did you leave in the first place?” he asked.

Sarah’s heart sank She couldn’t help but think about the fact that if she hadn’t, she wouldn’t be having this conversation with him. She wouldn’t be at this party tonight. “I didn’t have a reason to stay.” She finally answered with a hint of sadness in her voice.

Nick looked at her curiously as if he wanted to say something but chose not to. Instead he held out his hand to her. “Dance with me.” He demanded.

Sarah slowly took his arm and followed him onto the dance floor. Across the yard Deanna stood by the pool showing off her dress to Mr. and Mrs. Harper. Mrs. Harper fawned over the elegant gown while Mr. Harper seemed more interested in the cigar in his pocket. “What do you think?” Deanna giggled pulling at the silky material. “It’s the dress I’m wearing in the wedding. I thought I would wear it tonight since Nick won’t be there to see me walk down the aisle in it.”

“It’s absolutely stunning.” Mrs. Harper gushed, “You’ll nearly upstage the bride.” She turned to her husband who had yet acknowledge the girl’s attire and nudged him in the side. “Isn’t it lovely dear?”

“What ever you say honey.” He answered with the cigar now resting between his lips.

Mrs. Harper waved off the smoke annoyed by her husband’s disinterest in the matter. “Don’t mind him.” She said, “You look gorgeous. I’m sure Nicholas will be sad to see you go.”

Mrs. Harper frowned and began scanning the backyard. “Where is that boy anyway?”

“No doubt playing the role of the dutiful host. You know how he loves to charm an audience.” Deanna said.

Brian interrupted the women’s laughter. He kissed his mother hello and then smiled at Deanna. “Just the girl I was looking for.” He said holding up a briefcase. “I have the partnership agreement all ready. If you want, I can go over everything with you before you sign it.”

Deanna laughed. “I’ll sign your contract later.” She said pulling the briefcase from his hand s and setting it at his feet. “You’re at a party Brian. A little less business, a little more social.”

Brian frowned but then forced a smile. “You’re right.” He said searching for some sort of compliment. “Nice dress.”

Deanna’s face lit up with approval. “That’s better.” She said lightly patting his cheek.

Brian rolled his eyes but laughed as he shrugged her off and repeated the compliment a little more sincerely. “No really,” he said, “You look nice.”

Deanna’s face beamed and she took a slow spin to show off all sides of the new dress but she stopped mid turn at the sight of Nick and Sarah on the dance floor. Brian followed her distressed gaze and was also shocked to see his brother dancing with another girl. But the moment Nick turned and Sarah came into view, Brian’s mind drew a blank. He stared reverently having lost his breath. The smile entered his eyes first and then spread to his lips as he watched her. It wasn’t until he heard the sharp tone of Deanna’s voice that he was stirred from his daydream. “Who? Is that?” Deanna said trying hard not to shriek as she was instantly overtaken with jealousy.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Harper stared at the dancers with puzzled looks. “Well I’m not quite sure.” Mrs. Harper said.

Brian looked down at the briefcase holding an unsigned contract and then back into the angered eyes of Deanna and quickly felt the pressure of the problem at hand. “Oh that’s nobody.” He said trying to brush her off, “Just an old friend of the family.”

“I’ve never seen her before.” Mrs. Harper said.

“Sure you have.” Brian said starting to sound nervous. “That’s Sarah Thompson.”

Mrs. Harper couldn’t believe her eyes and Mr. Harper choked on the smoke in his lungs. “Dave’s little girl?” he asked suddenly interested in the conversation. He gave a hearty laugh and added, “Boy did she ever grow up.”

“Didn’t she move away?” Mrs. Harper said still somewhat oblivious to Deanna’s mood. Deanna’s eyes narrowed. “Apparently not.” She scowled.

Brian laughed nervously. “She’s like a sister to him.” He said.

Out on the dance floor Nick spun Sarah and then pulled her close… A little too close. “Or a cousin.” Brian choked unable to take his eyes off the seemingly happy couple.

Deanna’s hands clenched into fists and she took a step in her boyfriend’s direction but didn’t get very far. Brian held her hand tightly forcing her to stay put. “You know he loves you.” He assured her. “You have nothing to worry about.”

“I certainly hope so.” Deanna snapped with a piercing glare, “I would hate to think I am about to enter something as serious as a business partnership when my partner is so easily distracted by every pretty face that looks his way.”

Brian started to sweat. He put his arm securely around Deanna doing everything he could to keep her from causing a scene. “Deanna, sweet heart, calm down. You guys have been together for over a year. Has he ever once run off with someone else?”

Deanna pouted and Brian was relieved to see her begin to calm down. He also couldn’t believe that the answer to that question was honestly a “no” as many times in his life as he’s done that. It took Brian months to believe that Nick was serious about his relationship with Deanna and now it had been so long that he was actually surprised to see his brother falling into old habits. “When the song is over I’ll introduce you and you’ll see that it’s not what it looks like. Trust me. You don’t want to come across as the jealous girlfriend, do you?”

Deanna thought about it for a moment and decided that Brian had a point. She didn’t have a reason not to trust Nick and she didn’t want to leave town in a fight. Brian smiled. “Come on.” He said, “I’ll get you a soda or something.”

While Brian led Deanna to the buffet table Nick stared into Sarah’s eyes as he held her close. Neither of them was aware of anything or anyone around them. To Sarah, time seemed to be standing still. The entire moment was something out of a dream. Nick slid his arm further around her back in order to pull her even closer to him. Sarah shuddered at the feel of his fingers dancing over the strings on the back of her dress. Her skin melted at his touch and the heat was having just as much of an affect on Nick. He found himself unable to let her go. He smiled and then looked at her mouth thinking of what her lips would feel like pressed against his.

Sarah knew the look and averted her eyes when the redness entered her cheeks. She lowered her head and strand of hair fell into her face. Nick gently tucked it behind her ear causing her to look into his eyes once more. “I can’t believe the transformation.” Nick whispered in awe. “It’s like you’re a whole new person.”

“It’s still me, I just know who that is now.” Sarah said as she fought the urge to tremble. “Well, that and a little make-up.”

“Whatever it is, it’s incredible.” Nick said and then paused a moment to take in the sight of her once more. “You’re incredible.”

Their eyes locked for a moment and Sarah nervously stepped on Nick’s foot. “Sorry.” She said forcing a laugh, “I guess I’m a little more nervous than I thought.”

“Nervous? Of me?” Nick chuckled.

“Of coarse.” Sarah giggled with the blood rushing back to her face. She took a deep breath and decided to divulge all of the sentiments that were in the letter she never got the chance to give him. “I used to dream of a moment like this. The party… the dancing… you…”

The confession surprised Nick and he stared at Sarah curiously as she continued to spill her true feelings. “I used to watch you drive past my dad’s shop with the top down and a beautiful girl in the front seat. I always wanted that girl to be me.”

Nick was flattered. “You never said anything.” He said with a smile that told her not to feel embarrassed.

“I tried once.” Sarah replied.

“I don’t remember that.”

Sarah drifted off into a memory. “The night before I left.” She explained. “You were in a hurry. You were late for a date. A date I wanted so badly to go on.” Sarah laughed replaying the night in her mind. “I still remember her name,” she confessed.

Nick smirked but Sarah sighed. “Deanna.” She whispered.

Nick nearly gagged from the reflex in his stomach at the mention of Deanna’s name. He remembered for the first time since Sarah arrived that he had a girlfriend. Sarah didn’t notice the reaction because she was still lost in a daydream. Nick felt conflicted as his thoughts turned to his girlfriend. He knew he shouldn’t do what he was about to do but there were so many butterflies in his stomach that he simply couldn’t ignore them. He had to find out what they were all about. What if Deanna wasn’t really the one for him? Nick glanced nervously about the yard and when the coast seemed clear, he stopped dancing. “What do you say we get out of here?” he asked shocking poor Sarah nearly to death by the offer. “I’ll take you for that drive you wanted.”

Sarah blinked a couple times as she tried her hardest to contain her excitement. “I’d love to.” She finally managed to breathe.

Nick smiled and walked her toward the house. “Good.” He said. “Meet me out front. I’ll just go get my keys.”

Back by the pool Deana sat on a patio chair slowly sipping her drink. Brian had managed to temporarily distract her from the dance floor. However, he was unable to hide the look on his face when he saw Nick and Sarah walk off the dance floor arm in arm. Deanna looked over just in time to see the two enter the house together. Her face turned bright red with anger. “She’s probably leaving.” Brian gasped desperately. “I bet he’s just walking her to her car.”

Deanna couldn’t take it any longer and she stood up. Brian had to think fast. In a desperate attempt to keep her from seeing what he was now worried might be going on inside the house, he slid the briefcase at his feet in front of her. When Deanna stood up she tripped over the case and lost her balance. With a scream and a splash she plummeted backward foot over head into the pool. Mrs. Harper rushed to her aid and in the commotion Brian quickly slipped into the house unnoticed.