- Text Size +


Once the jury was back in the courtroom, the judge entered, forcing everyone in the room to stand until they were told to be seated.

"Prosecution, do you have your next witness?" Judge Marks asked as he was looking at papers.

"Yes, your Honor, prosecution calls Doctor Karen Johnson to the stand," the attorney stated.

Nick's eyes narrowed as he watched Dr. Johnson approach the witness stand. She seemed to act overly confident, dressed in a dark blue business suit, her long brown hair pulled back neatly into a bun. This was not the doctor that Nick had grown accustomed to seeing when she came out to his house to look after Brian.

"Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" the bailiff asked the doctor as she placed her right hand on the Bible.

"I do," Dr. Johnson replied.

"Please be seated," the judge ordered.

The prosecuting attorney approached the stand. "For the record, please state your full, legal name."

"Karen Elizabeth Johnson."

"And where are you employed?"

"Tampa Bay Hospital."

"And what do you do in your capacity at the hospital?"

"I am a doctor in the emergency room."

"Okay, could you recall for the court, the events that took place on April 22, 2000?"

"I was working my scheduled shift in the emergency room when they brought in a patient that was involved in a solo MVA," Dr. Johnson stated matter-of-factly.

"MVA?"

"Motor Vehicle Accident."

"And was there anything unusual about this particular patient that you recall?"

"He was awake but unresponsive, my first impression was a head injury, so I immediately ordered cat scans of the brain," Dr. Johnson recounted the events of that night. "The results were positive and the patient had a five centimeter bleed on the brain. I immediately ordered MSR in an IV drip, which is to prevent swelling on the brain and Solmederol injected into the port on the IV, which would hit the bloodstream quicker."

"How did the patient respond to this?"

"Not as I had anticipated. The patient deteriorated and was in a semi-vegetative state. He remained at Tampa for approximately three weeks and was transferred to a nursing home facility for around the clock care."

"What was this patient's name?"

"Brian Littrell."

"And how did he do while he was in the nursing home facility?"

"He remained stable, no significant changes."

Nick sat listening to her tell her side of the story. Although she didn't lie about anything, she didn't give them all the details that would help clear him of any wrong doing.

"It wasn't until he was released into the care of his friend that his condition seemed to deteriorate," Dr. Johnson stated.

Nick felt the attorney's hand on his shoulder as he leaned forward in his seat. He wanted to yell out that she was lying, it took all Nick had in him to remain calm and quiet.

"Would you be able to identify this friend of Mr. Littrell's?"

"Yes I would."

"Is this friend here in the courtroom?"

"Yes."

"Please point to this person."

Dr. Johnson pointed her finger directly at Nick.

"Let the records show that Dr. Johnson pointed at the defendant, Nickolas Carter. No further questions."

The judge wrote some notes on a paper and then looked over at the table where Nick and his attorneys were sitting. "Defense, any questions?"

Nick's attorney stood up, buttoning his jacket as he approached Dr. Johnson.

"Dr. Johnson, you are a medical doctor, correct?"

"Yes."

"Did you minor in chemistry?"

"Yes."

"So you know how to mix medications--"

"OBJECTION," the prosecuting attorney cried out.

"Overruled, answer the question," the judge replied.

"Yes I know how medications interact," Dr. Johnson replied.

"That wasn't what I asked you. Do you know how to mix medications?"

"I am not a pharmacist."

After twenty minutes of questioning, the attorney gave up, this doctor was well rehearsed and was not going to give anything away.

"Prosecution, do you have anymore witnesses?"

"Yes, we call Brian Littrell to the stand," the prosecuting attorney stated.

Nick felt his breath catch when they said Brian's name. He hadn't seen him since he was arrested almost five months ago. All Nick could see of Brian was his back as he walked up to the witness stand. Although he looked like the same old Brian, Nick noticed that he had a slight limp when he walked.

Brian took the stand and looked directly over at Nick. He was told to be prepared for what Nick's appearance would be like, but he still was shocked to see how pale and thin he was. In spite of this, Brian managed to smile slightly at Nick.

After the bailiff did the standard swearing in, the prosecuting attorney declared that Brian was a hostile witness, meaning that he was on the stand for the prosecution under protest and would be a difficult witness for them to question.

"Please state your full name for the records," the attorney drilled.

"Brian Thomas Littrell," Brian quietly replied.

"Please speak up," the attorney barked.

Brian cleared his throat. "Brian Thomas Littrell."

"Brian, could you please tell us of the events on April 22, 2000?"

"I was at a promotional party and suddenly felt tired and told my friends that I was going home," Brian replied.

"Was Nickolas Carter at this party?"

"Ojection, irrelavent!" Nick's attorney called out.

"Overruled, answer the question," the judge replied.

"Yes," Brian stated.

"Okay, proceed with the details of that night."

"I left the party and got into my jeep and the next thing I can recall is being in the ambulance and not being able to speak or move," Brian stated.

"Did Nick Carter at anytime supply you with drinks or food at this party?"

"OBJECTION! LEADING THE WITNESS!"

"Sustained, jury is requested to disregard that question," the judge said as he wrote something on a piece of paper.

"Okay, you ended up being in the care of Nick Carter?"

"Yes."

"And during the course of his care, he learned how to give you injections of medications that were prescribed by Dr. Johnson?"

Brian licked his lips, his mouth was getting dry because of being nervous about the questioning.

"Yes."

"No further questions."

Brian was relieved to hear the attorney say he was done with him.

Nick's attorney wasted no time in questioning Brian. He approached the stand, smiling.

"Good afternoon, Brian."

"Good afternoon."

"Brian, during the whole course of your illness, you said you couldn't move or talk, correct?"

"Yes sir, that's correct."

"Could you feel pain during this?"

"Yes sir, I could."

"Could you think clearly or reason during this?"

"I felt I could."

"After Nick injected you with the medications did you feel different?"

"OBJECTION! LEADING THE WITNESS!"

"Sustained."

"Okay, how did you feel when you received the medications from Dr. Johnson?"

"I would black out, I still couldn't move or speak."

"How did you feel when you received the medications from Nick?"

"The same, no difference."

"Was there at any point that you felt as if you were recovering?"

"Yes. When the visiting nurse skipped my medications, I was able to move my arms and turn my head."

"Is this the same nurse that injected your missed medications into his body?"

"Yes, he took two days worth of meds at one time."

"And you are now able to move about and speak freely."

"Yes sir."

"What do you attribute your recovery to?"

"The medications being stopped."

"No further questions."

"Prosecution?" The judge checked to see if they wanted to counter cross-examine Brian. The team of attorneys at that table whispered among themselves for a minute and then told the judge they had nothing further to ask at that time.

"You may step down."

Brian left the stand, wanting to go over to Nick and wrap him up in a hug. He walked between the tables and was escorted out into the hall.

The prosecuting attorney stood up. "Your honor, the prosecution rests."

Nick's attorney leaned over and whispered to Nick that this meant that the case was now being turned over to the defense.

"Court is being recessed until tomorrow morning, nine a.m.," the judge said as he stood up from his seat. He left the room quickly, taking the door off to the side of the courtroom.

Nick sat back down after the judge left the room. He patiently waited for the jury to file out. Moments after the jury left, the guard from the jail approached Nick with the handcuffs and shackels and proceeded to place them on him.

Nick kept his eyes focused to the floor, he could feel the stares on his back. His parents were still in the courtroom and he knew that his mother was seeing her son being chained up like an animal.

Once the chains were in place, the attorney gave Nick a folder to carry back to the jail with him. The guard led Nick out of the courtroom, past the spectators.

Brian felt ill when he saw Nick walking down the hallway, the chains making clanking noises with each step he took. This was not fair, Nick was being made to suffer for something he didn't do and Brian felt helpless. He wanted to let Nick know that everything was okay and that this would be overwith soon, but Nick didn't allow anyone to make eye contact with him as he was being led out to the van to take him back to jail.

Brian decided he was going to go against any advice and he was going to head out to the jail to visit Nick. He turned and walked in the opposite direction that Nick was being led. Pulling his keys out of his front pocket, Brian walked out of the courthouse, past the media that was camped outside the doors, and walked into the parking lot towards his car.

*~*~*~*


Nick sat quietly in his cell after his return from the courthouse. He put his head in his hands and slowly rocked back and forth. It seemed to be the only way Nick could comfort and console himself, fend off the terrible feelings of dread he had about the trial. Nick felt that everyone was against him in this and that he would be sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

"Carter! You have a visitor," a guard barked at Nick from the doorway.

Nick jumped up and walked in the center of the hallway in front of the guard. After going through processing, he walked into the visiting rooms and was told to sit in booth number seven.

As Nick sat down, he placed his hands on the the dirt stained coutertop and waited for his visitor to show. Catching the shadow of someone entering the other side of the booth, Nick glanced up at the smudged, thick window to acknowledge the person.

His hand immediately went up to the glass. Brian pressed his hand on the other side. His smile was the best thing Nick had seen in months. Nick was not ashamed to let the tears flow down his cheeks and it was evident that Brian felt the same way about his own tears. He picked up the receiver and Brian did the same.

"How are you doing? I missed you so much. Is Kevin still taking care of you? How are----"

"Whoa, Nick, slow it down!" Brian laughed quietly into the receiver at Nick's rapid fire questioning.

"I'm sorry, I just missed you so much, Bri. I think and worry about you constantly," Nick replied.

"Same here Nicky," Brian said. "I want to know how you're doing." Brian asked as he studied Nick's face.

Nick's eyes had dark circles under them and his blue eyes looked dull and empty.

"I'm hanging in there, it's hard, but I think I'm doing it okay," Nick said quietly. "How did you manage to get in here anyway? I thought it was forbidden during the trial?"

"There wasn't any court order saying I couldn't come and see you, it's all been verbal. I got sick of them telling me what I can and cannot do, so here I am," Brian replied, smiling.

Nick smiled back. "I'm glad you didn't listen to them." Nick's smiled suddenly faded. "Brian, god, I'm so scared about tomorrow, I mean tomorrow is when they try to defend me."

"Nick, don't worry! You have an excellent attorney and besides, you didn't do anything wrong and the jury will find that out," Brian tried to reassure Nick.

"Five more minutes, Carter!" the guard said as he walked behind Nick.

"Nick is there anything you need? Anything I can get you at all?" Brian asked anxiously.

Nick shook his head. "No, I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Kevin told me about the cigarettes," Brian replied.

Nick's eyes flashed. "How the hell did he find out about those?"

"It doesn't matter. You're not smoking, are you?" Brian quizzed.

Nick shook his head. "No, god that would be awful."

"Then why?" Brian asked.

Nick's eyes darted right and left, quickly. "I need it for protection," he stated quietly.

"Oh, Nick," Brian said sadly. "It's gonna be over soon, I promise you."

"Time's up, Carter, let's go!" the guard barked.

Nick stood up, quickly. "I hope you're right, Brian. Thanks for coming, bye."

Nick turned and left, quickly. Brian just stared after him, shocked to see how obedient he was for something he despised. The old Nick would have done whatever he could to drag the time out. Whatever had happened to him in here has affected him.