- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we are at the end at last.
Brian sat on the porch of the hut where he and Ororo were staying in Honolulu for their honeymoon. It was a place that neither had been to and both were curious to visit. As he looked out over the ocean, he thought back to five days ago at their wedding… five days since Nick’s surprise.

He and Nick were talking quietly before they were to head down the aisle to where the priest was waiting for them. Brian had pushed Nick’s chair to the door when Nick suddenly held up a hand and instructed him to stop.

“You want to wheel yourself down, Nick?” he had asked.

Nick turned to look at him and smiled. “I’m not wheeling anywhere any more.”

Brian had watched in utter astonishment as Nick first placed his right foot, followed by his left, on the floor. Gripping the sides of the chair, Nick pushed himself upward. Brian’s eyes went wide when he saw his best friend standing straight and tall again after so long.

“Nick,” he breathed.

Nick turned and smiled at him. “Surprise,” he said. “This is my wedding present to you. Kevin healed me last night and helped me take my first steps.”

“Kevin… healed you?” Brian repeated.

“Yes,” Nick replied. “That’s the power Kevin was given. The power to heal the physical body.”

Brian shook his head in amazement, then stepped forward and gripped his friend in a tight hug.

It had been one of the best moments of his life.
Brian was now back inside watching his wife sleep as the rays of the rising sun peered in through the curtain and splashed over her face.

“My wife,” Brian said aloud, trying the new words on his tongue. “Ro Littrell.”

He smiled, loving the way the names fit together so well. He leaned down and kissed her cheek as he remembered walking her down the aisle for all to see. Her long white hair had been curled and styled beautifully by Ella and his mother. Ororo’s dress had been the beautiful ivory one that Kevin had seen in the book in Ella’s lap a few weeks back. Around her neck was, to Brian’s surprise and delight, the same string of pearls that his mother had worn at her wedding, still exquisite and lustrous.

He thought ahead now, toward the future. He thought about children. Two or three would be enough for him, he decided. As for his career as a singer… He sighed. It was a hard decision to make, but he figured that shortly after their first child was born would be when he would be through. He only hoped that the fans that still believed in them would support him in his decision.

He felt fingers in his hair and looked down to see Ororo awake and looking up at him with blue eyes full of love.

“Thinking about the future?” she asked.

Brian nodded. “I don’t think I’ve ever felt so happy. This is the perfect ending to an old life…”

“And the perfect beginning of a brand new one.”

The End