- Text Size +
It was their second performance in as many nights and the usual backstage hysteria had begun. Lance was chatting with JC as Shae sprayed a thick cloud of hairspray in his general direction. She was flirting with both of them and by the smiles on their faces, they didn't mind. Justin was enjoying one last moment of quiet before they were rushed on stage. Alex was dancing to her discman while getting clothes ready for the many changes that would take place during the performance.
"Alex, get out here!" JC yelled. "We need your input."
Autumn moonwalked into the room, still wearing her headphones. "How can I be of service?" She smiled sweetly and fluttered her eyelashes ridiculously.
"What do you think we should do for Christmas? Should we have a small party slash get together type of thing before everything goes home for Christmas or should we wait for New Year's?"
"Oh." Alex replied, shutting off her player. "I guess I didn't realize that we got time at Christmas."
"Of course we get time off for Christmas. Don't be ridiculous."
"Well, when are you all going home?"
"We'll all be flying home on the afternoon of the 22nd. And you?"
"I guess I'll leave the same day." Alex answered, suddenly feeling uneasy.
"You guess? You've only been at this job for two months and you already get a holiday. Maybe you could pretend to be happy."
"I - I am happy. I'll get away from you guys right?" Alex stuttered.
"So what do you think?"
"Why don't we all go out for dinner and then dancing?"
"Sounds good. Any suggestions where?"
"Once you tell me what city we'll be in, I'll arrange it."
"Fabulous!" JC exclaimed.
"So Alex, what are your plans for the holidays?" Shae asked.
"I - I'll go to…my sister's."
"You have a sister?" Lance asked.
"Yeah - back in Toronto. She's - She's probably expecting me."
"I can tell you are looking forward to it." Lance said sarcastically.
"Yeah, whatever." Alex replied, not sensing the sarcasm in his voice. She turned her player back on and headed back to the next room.
Chris followed her. "Hey Alex, can you give me another pair of pants to wear? I don't like these ones. They…bunch."
Alex shook her head, relieved that the subject had been changed. "Yep, how about these?" She asked, holding up some kahkis
"Much better." Chris smiled.
"Okay, give me a minute to press them and you can change." She pulled the pants off the hanger and turned on the iron.
"Lex?"
"Hmm mmm."
"Why aren't you looking forward to Christmas?" Chris asked point blank.
Alex laughed nervously. "What gives you that idea? It's my favorite time of year." She lied.
"I don't know, you seem to clam up as soon as we start to talk about it."
"Chris, don't let your imagination run wild. Here." She threw the pants at his head. "Put these on." She turned her back.
Chris rolled his eyes. "Alex, you don't have to turn your back every time one of us removes a piece of clothing. I think we should be used to it by now."
"Sorry, just thought you'd like a shred of privacy. Besides I have no desire to see your tightie whities, Chris." Alex teased.
"When you lead a life like mine, you have no privacy. And I don't wear tightie whities." He threw the other pair of pants back at her.
"Oh, well in that case I have no desire to see your green sequined g-string, so is it okay to turn around now? Are you decent?"
Chris laughed. "Yes it's okay to turn around now and no, I'm never decent."
She stuck her tongue out at him before he left the room. "She's being mean to me." He whined to Justin, who was just entering as Chris opened the door.
"Hey Justin." Alex smiled. "What can I do for you now? Don't like what your wearing either. Geez, I don't know why I was hired." She began to flip through the hangers on the portable clothes rack.
"No, this is fine."
Alex stopped what she was doing. "Then what do you need?"
"This." Justin crossed the room in three steps and swept her into his arms. He covered her mouth with his, sending tingles through her entire body. He broke off suddenly and kissed both sides of her mouth. Then he quickly turned and left the room.
Alex stared at the closed door. She brought her fingers to her lips where he had just been a moment before. She whispered to herself. "Wow."