- Text Size +
Christmas was coming up fast. The group was busy attending galas and holiday parties. It was all Alex could do to keep up with all the formal wear she had to have ready almost every evening. She welcomed the distraction. She played the kiss over and over in her mind, wondering. No matter what perspective she chose to take, she remained confused.

It had been four days since the "episode" in the change room. Justin had barely said three words to her. Alex thought it very strange to say the least. She so wanted to talk to Shae about it but later, decided against it - keeping it to herself. Once in a while she would catch Justin staring at her but as soon as she did, he'd look away. Instead she just went on as if everything was fine, as if her emotions weren't twisting forever inside her.

The Christmas party was that night. It would be the last night everyone was together before they went to their separate ways for the holidays.

Alex and Shae had gone shopping one evening after the group had left for yet another Christmas obligation.
"Shae, you gotta help me pick something out for the Christmas party." Alex whined.
Shae wrinkled her forehead. "You are the wardrobe chick! Shouldn't you be helping me?"
"Yeah, I know but..." Alex trailed off, not able to think of a good excuse.
"Yes, of course I'll help you. How about that?" Shae said pointing to a mannequin in a shop window.
"No, we're going dancing at a club afterwards - not the palais! Who'd wear a thing like that?"
Shae rolled her eyes. "Come on!" She grabbed Alex around the wrist and dragged down the street.
After much good natured arguing, Alex settled on a one piece dress. It was the perfect shade of lipstick red, mini skirt length and made of shimmering fabric. According to Shae, it looked awesome.
"This is going to knock Justin out." Shae smiled as Alex paid for the dress and left the store.
"I don't really care if he likes it or not." Alex replied flatly. "I'm tired of the mixed signals I've been getting from him. I'm just going to stay away from him - which shouldn't be too hard considering he doesn't talk to me anymore."
"He'll figure it out sooner or later."
Alex left the discussion at that. Although she wasn't sure what "it" was that Justin would figure out.

~*~

Justin had not taken his eyes off of Alex since the moment she stepped into the dining room. He watched her joke with Lance and Shae. Her laughter danced across the table to where he sat. He could no longer stand to be away from her.
"Justin - I'm talking to you!" Chris waved a hand in front of Justin's face.
"Oh yeah, sorry." Justin mumbled.
"Is that dress distracting you?" Chris grinned knowingly.
"No, it's what's inside it that's driving me crazy."
"And you would be waiting for...?" Chris trailed off and wiggled his eyebrows.
"Good point." Justin abruptly pushed his chair back and stood up. He walked around the table to where Alex was sitting and put his hand on her shoulder.
Alex jumped at the warmth of his touch. She turned her attention to him. "Hi!" She smiled.
"Feel like dancing?"
"Sure." Alex held out her hand. Justin took it in his and steered her through the maze of tables. Sliding his right arm around her waist he led her around the dance floor.
"You surprise me, Justin Timberlake."
"Hmm? Why is that?"
"I didn't have you pegged for the type of person who knew how to waltz."
He laughed and twirled her around. "Nice fit huh?"
"Oh Thanks, Shae helped me pick it out."
"I was talking about us." Justin said with a straight face and pressed his body closer to hers.
"And you also confuse me, Justin Timberlake." Alex frowned.
"And why would that be?"
"Maybe you could help me with that one." She raised an eyebrow at him. The song had ended and they were the only couple left on the floor. More music started up, much faster. "Do you know how to seven step?" She changed the subject.
"Can't say that I do."
"Well today's your lucky day - I'm going to teach you.”

Fortunately the song was a short one. They both returned to the table in tears from laughing so hard. "I thought he'd be a better student than that!" Alex exclaimed to JC.
Justin pretended to be hurt. "You have to actually know how to do something before you can teach it to someone else!"
"I do know how to seven step - I just forgot parts." Her eyes sparkled. It was nice to be comfortable around him again, and for him to be comfortable around her.
"Hey Alex what is your song?" Shae turned away from Chris to ask the question.
"Which one do you mean?" Alex replied.
Chris interrupted. "You mean you know what she is talking about?"
"Of course I do." Alex looked in his direction. "She's talking about that one special song that every girl has. The one that makes your knees weak as soon as you hear the first note. Am I right Shae?"
"Yeah, so what's yours?"
Alex rolled her eyes. "I could never tell you guys, you'd use it to torture me. It's from the 80's but I assure you, it still turns my legs to jell-o whenever I hear it!"
Chris zeroed in on Alex, his interest piqued. "So it makes you hor…I mean, it turns you on?" He leaned closer.
"Most definitely." Alex placed her hand on his forehead and pushed him back in his chair. "I know of more than one song that does that to me actually. You just gotta dance when you hear it.”
"Are you going to tell us?" JC asked.
"Nope. Why don't you ask Shae?" Alex pointed to her friend.
Shae held her hand up, palms out. "Nice try." She stuck her tongue out at Alex.
"Maybe they'll play it tonight!" Chris wiggled his eyebrows at her.
Alex grinned. "You wish!"
"Are you guys ready to get out of here?" Joey fidgeted in his seat. "I need some real music to dance to."
"Yeah, let's blow this popsicle stand!"

~*~

The Club was packed by the time they got there but they did manage to find a table. No chairs, but a table nevertheless. From there, they split up. Joey went to scope out the upper level. JC, Lance and Shae hit the dance floor. Alex saved the table while Justin and Chris went for drinks. She laughed as she watched Lance and JC grind to the music with Shae sandwiched between them. Justin and Chris returned with drinks.
"They didn't know what a vodka special was so I got you this." Justin set a drink in front of her.
"Thanks - I think vodka specials must be a Canadian thing. Do you feel like dancing yet?” She asked after drinking it
"Not yet! My shin still hurts from learning the seven step!"
"Suit yourself. Chris how about you?" She asked.
"No thanks."
Alex pretended to pout. "You guys probably couldn't keep up anyway."
She wove her way through the crowd of people to Shae, Lance and JC. She danced with them for a while until they soon got tired and returned to the table. They left her dancing alone. The DJ announced an N’sync set and began playing 'I just wanna be with you'. Alex felt her pulse quicken. The combination of the energy in the room, the alcohol in her system and the sounds of the music made her dance like she never had before. Justin watched as she moved her hands seductively down her body. He noticed that her eyes were closed. It was as if she was totally somewhere else. She opened her eyes and looked straight at him. If he had ever seen bedroom eyes, this was then. She continued to dance without breaking eye contact with Justin. He could feel his desire grow. He got up from his chair and made his way towards her. Behind him he could hear Shae laughing.
"Hey cutie, how 'bout a dance?" A short redhead put her hand on his forearm, blocking his line of sight. Justin pulled his gaze away to look at her.
"Yeah sure." He replied. He would have rather not but he didn't want to be rude. He followed the redhead to the dance floor. Turning his attention towards the dancing crowd again, he searched for a familiar figure in a red dress. He couldn't find her.
"Hey, I'm over here." The redhead said sternly, putting her hand on his chin and turning his head.

She kept him out there for 5 straight songs before he begged off with some lame excuse of being tired. Returning to the table with a drink, he noticed that Shae was glaring at him.
"What?" He questioned her.
"She left. Man! You can screw anything up!"
Justin groaned inwardly. "Damn." He said to himself.