- Text Size +
“Why did you just sit there? Did you forget the moves or something?”

Brian shrugged as he continued to observe their music video, Backstreet’s Back. Both he and Howie had nothing better to do than to sit there and watch all their music videos, reminiscing the good times, and the days where they once had it all. “I don’t really know… I can’t even remember if I forgot the moves, or if I just gave up!”

Howie chuckled, “I’m surprise Fatima didn’t get on your ass for that!”

“Me too!”

There was a knock on the door, and then it slowly opened, Dr. McNorton’s head peeking in. “May I come in?”

“Sure!” Howie responded.

He walked all the way in, closing the door behind him. “I need to ask you guys a question.”

Both Howie and Brian exchanged glances. “What is it?”

“Have you guys told Nick about Aaron?”

Howie shook his head, “No… it was as if he forgot that his brother was even on the bus. None of us wanted to mention anything to him, we felt he wasn’t ready to know.”

“Why do you ask?” Brian questioned.

“Well,” Dr. McNorton had grabbed the chair that was in the corner of their room and had situated it in front of their beds. “he awoke not too long ago, from a nightmare he was having. Of course we had to sedate him, due to his erratic behavior, but he kept screaming Aaron’s name. As soon as I gave him the sedative, he grabbed me by the arm, asking me where he was, and to tell him not to be scared, that he was here for him.”

At that being said, Howie’s heart dropped, while Brian’s heart rate quickened. He was staring at the door, and there stood Aaron. Tell him now… he needs to know! Aaron said to him, and then disappeared.

“I can’t…” he mumbled.

Both Howie and Dr. McNorton turned to look at him. “You can’t what?”

Brian began to shake his head. “I… I can’t tell him.”

“Fine,” Dr. McNorton said with a shrug. “I can tell him if you want.”

“No!” Brian shouted. “No, you can’t tell him, he’s not ready to know yet.”

“Look Mr. Littrell, I understand the fact that you don’t have the heart to tell him because you think he’s not ready to know, but how long will you keep him in the dark?” Aaron had asked him the same question. “He will find out sooner or later, and the longer you keep it from him, the more devastating it’ll be as soon as he finds out.”

“We’ll tell him when he’s ready…” Brian replied softly. “You don’t understand Nick… he’ll hurt himself even more physically if we tell him now, and he’ll never allow his body to heal properly. I want to at least wait until we know he’s strong enough, both physically and mentally.”

Dr. McNorton couldn’t fight with him there, Nick needed all the time he could possibly get to heal, and dropping this devastating news on him now would only prolong the process. “I understand…” he quietly said as he rose from his seat, leaving their room.