- Text Size +
He turned on his side, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in, but nothing seemed to work. He finally gave up, opening his eyes and seeing Brian staring at the hospital phone. He pushed himself up on his bed, yawning and stretching his arms out.

“You know, the phone isn’t gonna answer itself.” Howie said.

Brian looked over at him, and grinned. “I gotta make a call.”

“And what are you waiting for?” he asked. “It’s not hard to pick up the phone and punch in seven digits… plus the area code.”

There were two silent knocks on their door, and it slowly opened, revealing Dr. McNorton. “Hey fellas.”

“Hey doctor” Howie replied. “What can we do for you today?”

“Well,” he began, tucking the clipboard underneath his arm. “Someone became conscious again, and they would like to see you Mr. Dorough.”

Howie gave him a puzzled look. It couldn’t be Kevin, he hasn’t heard any news of him ever becoming conscious. Nick could be a possibility, but why would he want to see only him? Of all people, wouldn’t he want to see Brian? That’s when it dawned on him, it was his best friend.

“AJ?”

Dr. McNorton smiled and nodded. “That’s if, you’re up to it…”

The smile on Howie’s face never left him. “Of course I’m up to it…” he paused and looked over at Brian. “But… what about Brian? Can’t he see him too?”

Dr. McNorton shrugged, “Well, you see, Alex only remembers you so far. Speaking of which, we have the results of Alex’s cat scan. Unfortunately, he has a mild case of amnesia; he doesn’t remember much of anything from his past. What he has remembered so far was you Mr. Dorough, and his trip to rehab. Not to worry though, he will regain his full memory back, but it will take some time. Certain things, such as music, words, faces and such will strike something within his brain, and bring back his memories in episodes.”

“Episodes?”

“Yes, episodes. You know how you watch a TV show; it is comprised of episodes which are shown every day or week. That’s how his mind will be acting as, a TV show. You must make sure not to force everything onto him all at the same time. The results can be extremely painful, even lethal in his case. But nonetheless, it is important that you try to bring things to him to help his memory come back. He will be a lot more edgy and short tempered, but you must understand it’s because he’s having a hard time remembering, and it becomes stressful for him. Whatever you do, just remain patient with him… think of him as a child.”

Howie nodded, not liking the new information on his best friend. He didn’t want to think and treat him as a child, nor did he want him to endure this pain. He looked back over at Brian, who was smiling at him and nodding for him to go. “Go on, I have to make a call anyway, I’ll be sure to see him later, when the time is right.”

Howie smiled, and with the help of Dr. McNorton, he got off of his bed and was about to sit down in the wheelchair, but he stopped himself. “I’ll walk it doc…”

Dr. McNorton eyed him for a while, not sure if that would be the best thing to do. “You sure?”

“Yeah,” he replied with a nod, and with that, they both walked out of the room, closing the door behind them.

Brian sighed, his head lolling back on the pillow. He found himself staring up at the ceiling; everything was silent, too silent for him. He grabbed the remote that was attached to the side of his bed and had clicked the TV on.

Immediately, the DVD menu came on, and whatever was in the DVD player began to play. It was their Greatest Hits DVD, and it had picked up from where he and Howie left off when they were watching their music videos. Ironically, it picked up on “I’ll Never Break Your Heart” music video.

From the first day, that I saw your smiling face. His eyes drifted close and memories of when he and Leighanne first met flooded his mind. Honey I knew that we would be, together forever. It was on the set of “As Long As You Love Me”, her brilliant smile striking blonde hair caught his eye. When I asked you out, you said no, but I found out. He would always act so strange whenever she was around, but he later realized that acting strange was better than not having her around at all. Darling that you’d been hurt, you thought that you’d never love again.

He was just a crazy fool, a fool who was in love. He couldn’t explain quite well to the fellas, all he knew was that he saw eternity within her eyes. I deserve a try honey, just once, give me a chance and I’ll prove this all wrong. He took the plunge; he asked her out, which was the first step into forever. You walked in, you were so quick to judge, but honey he’s nothing like me.

He needed to call her now. I’ll never break your heart. But for some reason, he couldn’t bring himself to even pick up the phone to make the call. I’ll never make you cry. He took a deep breath in, and picked up the phone, punching in the area code, followed by the seven digits. I’d rather die, than live without you. His heart rate quickened, someone picked up the phone.

“Hello?” I’ll give you all of me, honey, that’s no lie.

“Leighanne?”