- Text Size +
Brian just stared at him as if he was crazy. “What are you talking about? Who tried to murder us?”

“I don’t know!” Nick snapped back. He didn’t mean to sound harsh, but he was irritated with the fact that Brian wasn’t believing him. “All I know was that we were ran off the road, the bus didn’t lose control from a popped tire. This man, whoever the hell he is, popped our tire after the incident to make it look like an accident. The bus was wrecked so bad, officials wouldn’t have thought anything more of the situation. It looked like it was a complete accident, he planned this out so well.”

Brian was afraid of the way Nick was talking now. How in the hell did he know all of this? “He’s gonna be back…” Nick continued. “He said he’d be back to finish us off. He started this, he was the cause of all of this, and he won’t stop until he finishes what he had started.”

Brian was about to ask him another question, until a memory of his had flooded back. He remembered hearing Kevin and AJ’s voice. His eyes were closed, but his senses were alert. He heard AJ asking Nick what had happened to him, and then had said something about getting up to get a cloth to clean off blood on Nick’s head. The bus jerked again when something had slammed into it’s side, throwing them off guard. AJ had asked what was going on, Kevin said that someone was trying to run them off the road. “Oh god, your right.” Brian muttered.

Nick nodded, turning to look at the closed door. “I need to go and check on Aaron.” Brian’s heart stopped. “I need to make sure that he’s okay.”

There was a loud beeping noise that filled the room all of a sudden. Nick quickly turned back towards the bed, seeing Brian’s body tense up. Brian was hyperventilating, he couldn’t breathe, it was as if the room was slowly closing in on him. That’s when he realized that his heart had stopped, literally, or at least trying to. He could feel his eyes begin to roll in the back of his head, his chest began to hurt so much.

“Oh my god, Brian!” Nick shouted, shooting up from the wheelchair to reach for the nurse call button. He frantically pushed the button over and over, never breaking his attention from Brian. He grabbed Brian’s face in his hands, forcing him to look at him.

“Brian… Brian, look at me!” Nick exclaimed, trying to capture his attention.

But Brian didn’t respond. His eyes remained in the back of his head, white orbs being revealed through the slits of his eyelids. “Breathe Brian, breathe…” Nick encouraged, noticing that Brian was preventing himself from taking a breath in. He knew Brian was going into cardiac arrest, he just didn’t know what he could do to help him until the doctors came.

He turned towards the closed door, later realizing that no one was coming. He took a deep breath in and rushed over towards the closed door, ripping it open. “Help!” he shouted. “Someone help me.”

An elderly patient was in the hallway at the time, passing by the room. “What seems to be the problem child?” the elderly woman asked him.

“My friend’s gone into cardiac arrest, I need help, now!”

The woman gasped. “Oh dear.” She turned around, looking for someone she could call to help, that’s when she seen her personal nurse running towards them.

“Mrs. Peters, what did I tell you about leaving your room by yourself?” the male nurse asked, gently grabbing her by the arm to help her back to her room.

“No.” she said, pulling her wrinkly arm out of his grasp. “This young man needs help Charles, his friend has gone into cardiac arrest.

Charles, the male nursed looked at Nick with wide eyes. “Is this true?”

Nick nodded, “Yes, he’s in there, he won’t breathe.”

Charles pushed past Nick, walking into the room towards where Brian was. “Sir, do me a favor and stay out there with Mrs. Peters.” he pulled out a walkie-talkie from his pants. “I need a doctor to room G103 stat. We have a patient in cardiac arrest, I repeat, patient in cardiac arrest.”

Couple seconds later, a doctor and a female nurse rushed into the room. Nick began to back away until he felt his back hit the wall, tears began to prick his eyes. Dr. McNorton then ran into the room, observing what was going on. When he noticed that the other doctor was getting things under control, he walked back out, towards Nick.

“What happened Nick?”

Nick shrugged, his eyes becoming glassy from his welling tears. “I don’t know, we were talking, and then he just tensed up. I didn’t know what was wrong with him at first, but when I realized that he was keeping himself from breathing, that’s when I realized that he was going into cardiac arrest.”

Dr. McNorton nodded. “Well, we need to get you back to your room.”

But Nick shook his head. “No… I’m not going anywhere until I know that he’ll be okay.”

Dr. McNorton wanted to protest, but he knew there was no use in doing so. He simply sighed and nodded, agreeing to let him slide this one time. He turned and had walked back into the room, closing the door behind him. Nick closed his eyes, finally allowing the tears to slip out. He began to pound the back of his head on the wall behind him, later regretting it when pain began to course throughout his whole body.

Mrs. Peters looked up at him, “Don’t beat yourself up over this boy… you need to believe that your friend will pull through.”

Nick licked his trembling lips, knowing that the lady was right. Brian was a fighter, he’s pull through many obstacles in his life, why should this be any different? “I know…” he whispered.

Mrs. Peters stood there for a while, not knowing what to say or do. Finally, she reached her hand out towards his, grabbing it and squeezing it gently. Nick sighed when he felt her wrinkly hand squeeze his, feeling her warmth and support. “Not to worry son… I had to sit there and watch my husband suffer heart attacks almost everyday. I remained by his side, until his dying day. My husband was a fighter, always defining the odds, but one day, he finally decided to answer God’s call, and all I could do was sit there and help guide him towards the light. You boys have so much ahead of you, believe me, it’s not his time yet. But if you run away, he just might answer God a little too early, thinking he was left all alone.”

More tears began to fall from his eyes, what this woman was saying made a lot of sense. The door open, revealing the two doctors and the two nurses. Dr. McNorton and Charles approached them while the other doctor and nurse walked away, going back to wherever they were before.

“How is he doc?”

Dr. McNorton sighed, “Well, we were able to bring him back and stabilize him. Right now he’s resting of course, and we want to keep him as calm and tranquil as possible.”

Mrs. Peters looked up at Nick and smiled, “You see son? God works in marvelous ways… your friend is just like my husband, a true fighter. And your just like me… a true friend. Hang in there honey, and may god bless you both.”

She reached out and grabbed Charles’ hand, allowing him to walk her back towards her room. Nick smiled, watching as both Charles and Mrs. Peters began to walk down the hall, but then he looked back towards Dr. McNorton. “Do you know what caused this?”

Dr. McNorton shrugged, “Stress could be a high factor, but I just don’t know. Just whatever you do, try to keep him as calm as possible, and make sure that he doesn’t get riled up in anyway. Now, lets get you back to your room.”