- Text Size +
His eyes drifted open again, a feeling of déjà vu washing over him. But instead of waking up in his bunk, he woke up to find himself laying on top of the bunk that was across from him. He tried to move, but an unbearable pain had exploded through his whole body, something was on top of his back, pinning his body into the bunk.

The lights that once lighted the bus was now flickering, causing the painful effect of walking through a club with a strobe light going off and on. He looked forward and seen Brian still lying within his bunk, but instead he was lying on his back.

“Brian…” Nick tried to call out, but his voice was gurgled out by blood which was now flooding his mouth.

He spat it out onto the bunk before him, the blood mixed with saliva now staining the sheets. He tried to move again, but froze when he realized what kind of position they were in. He remembered trying to wake Brian up, and then the bus falling sideways. He then remembered Howie rolling out of his bunk and knocking into his lower legs, which only meant that the bus was resting on it’s right side.

He felt something, more like someone shift beneath him. “Howie?” he called out.

Silence was all that came in return, but it was long till Howie responded. “Nick… I’m here man!”

Nick sighed in relief. “Are you alright D.?”

Howie took a deep breath in and shuddered, “I don’t really know… I can’t move.”

Nick continued to look around at his surroundings, thinking of a way to escape. “Look, it’s the bunks that’s pinning us here. What we need to do is try to push the bunks back to it’s original position.”

Both Howie and Nick began to push the bunks back, but their attempts failed. Nick had forgotten that the bus was resting on it’s right side, which would make it impossible for them to move the bunks anywhere.

“Hey Nick… this is what we gotta do… I need you to push the bunks back again and hold it back as long as you can, okay? Meanwhile, I’m gonna crawl out from where I am. I’ll then hold the bunks back while you grab Brian and you both get out, okay?”

Nick nodded and began to shove the bunks back again. As soon as Howie felt the cramped space open, he began to crawl quickly to the other side. Nick yelped when he felt a hot pain shoot through his back, and Howie felt the bunks slowly begin to smash him again because Nick was losing his strength.

“Whatever you do Nick… just hold those bunks back, please… I’m almost there man, just hold on for a little longer, okay?”

Nick nodded, not able to acknowledge him. Howie began to crawl even quicker, until he got to the other side. He wasn’t sure of the injuries he sustained, it was as if he could feel a thing. But as soon as he pulled himself up, he gasped at the sight. The bus was severed open, meaning that the back part of the bus was somewhere else. All Howie could do was pray that AJ, Kevin and Aaron was near the front of the bus when the crash happened.

“Howie… D., what’s going on man? Are you okay?”

Howie turned back towards Nick, “Yeah… I’m fine… the whole back part of the bus is gone though.”

“WHAT?!?” Nick had all of a sudden screamed. Howie’s face turned pale and his blood ran cold… it was as if he had felt his heart just drop out from his chest. “NO… NO… NO… FUCK NO… HOWIE, I NEED YOU TO SEE WHERE THE BACK PART OF THE BUS IS!!!”

Nick was completely freaking out now, and Howie knew why. He had the strangest feeling that Kevin, AJ and Aaron happened to be near the back of the bus when the accident happened, and Nick had only proven his suspicions to be correct.

“No Nick… I need to get you and Brian out of here first, then we’ll go check on them.” Howie had tried to say, but was interrupted by him.

“No… you need to go see where the hell the back of the bus is! AJ and Kevin was in the back of the bus! Just please Howie… do it, please!”

It had hurt Howie to hear Nick beg him in such a way. If he could, he would go look for the back part of the bus, but there was no way in hell he would leave Nick and Brian here by themselves. “We’ll look for them as soon as I get you and Brian outta here…”

There was no point in arguing with him. Nick began to shake Brian, trying to see if that would wake him up. “Brian… c’mon man, wake up.” As Nick continued to shake his still form, Brian’s head had rolled to the side, and Nick slightly gasped. There was a large and deep gash that ran across his forehead, his head must’ve slammed on the inside of his bunk when the bus had crashed.

“Shit man… he’s out for the count!” Nick had informed Howie.

Howie remained silent for a while, thinking of what they should do. “Alright, your gonna have to get him outta there, wedge him between the bunks and walk him out. Can you do that?”

Nick stared at Brian’s unconscious form, “Wait… if he’s injured, aren’t we like… not suppose to move him? I mean, we don’t know what kind of injuries he sustained, and if it’s something major, we could paralyze him if we move him.”

“Well, it’s either we leave him here to die or pull him out, your choice!”

Nick had glanced at Howie for a while, and then had looked back at Brian. “Pull the bunks apart…” was all Nick said in reply.

Howie nodded and had pushed the bunk to the side, as far as it would allow him to go. Cautiously, Nick had grabbed Brian’s body and began pulling him out of the bunk. Howie winced as he felt his muscles being strained under the weight of their bunks. Someone, anyone remind me to tell management to construct wooden, light weight bunks for our new bus! Howie thought to himself, So incase we decide to get into anymore bus accidents, the bunks won’t be such a problem!

As soon as Nick was able to wedge Brian between the bunks, he froze. “How do I do this now?”

“Think of a way, anyway… just please, hurry up!”

Nick just lifted Brian’s body up partially and began walking him down the isle, towards Howie. As soon as they got towards the end, Howie had released the bunks, heaving for air, and Nick had placed Brian down on the little ground they had left.

As soon as Nick turned to survey the damage, he gasped. The whole back part of the bus was gone and was nowhere in sight. Both AJ and Kevin were near the back of the bus at that time. He looked up and noticed that one of the bunks was severed in half… AJ’s bunk. If AJ was in that bunk… God knows what would’ve happened to him! Nick thought to himself, but then something had hit him… reality had hit him so hard, he began to hyperventilate. AJ wasn’t in his bunk… because he was sleeping in my bunk! AJ was in my bunk because Aaron was in his bunk! Aaron was sleeping in AJ’s bunk when the crash happened!

“AARON!!!” Nick shouted and was about to jump out of the bus, but Howie had stopped him.

“Nick, what in the hell are you doing?” Howie had asked him as he continued to hold his struggling form. “We will go find them as soon as we all get off this side of the bus, but we can’t have you jumping off into god knows where like an idiotic fool!”

Nick started to cry hysterically. “You don’t understand… and look at this fucking bunk!” he pointed to AJ’s bunk. “It’s cut in half… AJ wasn’t in that fucking bunk, Aaron was! I need to find them…”

Howie tightened his grip on Nick, but he was able to rip away, and he jumped off. “Nick!” Howie shouted at him, but when he looked out, he Nick standing below him.

“Stay here and watch Brian… I’ll go look for Kev, Jay and Aaron…”

Before Howie could say anything, Nick began to walk away, deeper into wherever they were. “Shit…” Howie silently swore to himself.

Nick continued to walk through the woods, keeping his eyes open for the back part of the bus in the blinding dark. He looked down a little further into the hills and spotted something rather large. He skidded down the hill towards it and realized that it was the back of the bus.

“Aaron!” Nick had shouted, walking inside the half back part of the bus. “Kevin!”

Nick stopped when he felt his foot come in contact with someone’s hand. He looked down and seen Kevin wedged between the mangled bunks. Unlike the upper part of the bus, where the bunks were intact, these bunks were busted and all over the creation.

“Kevin…” Nick knelt down towards him, surveying the damage done to him. There wasn’t much he could see, the only thing that was visible was the dark crimson blood that stained his face.

He heard twigs snapping in the forest, as if someone had followed him. He could feel eyes watching him, as if watching to see if he made another move. He could feel their presence looming above him, sensing that whoever it was would strike if he made another move.

Nick quickly rose and whirled around, and he gasped. “Damnit D., didn’t I tell you to stay up there with Brian?”

“Brian’s fine, where could he possibly go?” Howie replied. “It’s them we need to worry about.”

Before Nick could say anything, something, more like someone had wrapped their arms around Howie’s waist, hoisting him into the air. Nick continued to stare at the man who was holding Howie captive.

“One more step and I’ll blow his fucking brains out!” shouted the man.

Nick rose his hands in surrender, staring at Howie to make sure he was holding up okay. “Get in that bus…” the man demanded.

Nick hesitated, but sprung into action when the man’s grip on Howie tightened and he fingered the trigger. As soon as Nick had turned his back to walk into the bus, he heard a sickening slap sound that made him turn around.

When he turned around, he had seen Howie lying on the floor, unconscious, and the man was standing above him, aiming his gun at him. Nick lunged himself towards the man, but the only thing he received was a kick in the face. As soon as he dropped to the ground, he could feel the man continue to beat the living shit out of him, only to have everything, mostly his senses, fade away from him.