- Text Size +
As soon as Howie closed AJ’s door, he sighed. There was so much going on for them right now. Not only did they have to worry about AJ”s amnesia, but they also had to worry about Nick and how and when they were going to tell him that his younger brother was dead. He began to walk away, realizing that Dr. McNorton was no longer there. He shrugged it off though and decided to walk his way to his room by himself.

As he continued to walk, he stopped in front of another ICU room, the room that belonged to Kevin. He hadn’t heard any news on him yet. He stood in front of the door, looking into the room through the window in the door. He couldn’t see much, just Kevin lying on his bed, still unconscious. All of a sudden, the door opened, revealing a doctor.

“Can I help you sir?” the doctor asked.

Howie shook his head, “No… just stopping by to check up on my friend, that’s all.”

“Oh, and which Backstreet Boy would you be?”

“Howie Dorough.”

The doctor smiled and reached out his hand. “Mr. Dorough, I’m Dr. Seid, and I’m the neurologist who has been keeping watch over Mr. Richardson and Alexander McLean. Those two are quite some interesting fellas. They’re both pulling through fine, and they’re both expected to make a full recovery.”

Howie’s eyes widened. “You mean to tell me that Kevin is conscious again?”

Dr. Seid smiled and nodded, “Yes sir, he has awoken from his comatose state earlier today. He’s talking and moving slightly, doing better than I expected. The only thing we’re keeping a watch on is his head, since we had to drain fluids and all. His leg and ribs seem to be healing quite well, and it’ll take some time till both he and Alex will be released.”

Howie couldn’t wipe the grin off of his face, he couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “If it’s not too much, do you mind if I go in and see him?”

Dr. Seid shook his head, stepping to the side. “Don’t mind at all. He’s been resting for a while, it’ll be good for him to awake to seeing a friend. I’ll have you know, unlike AJ, he remembers his past, the only thing he doesn’t remember is the accident and everything that happened before it. We explained to him what had happened of course, but it’s not as if he would be able to tell you exactly what happened, because he doesn’t remember a thing. Other then that, his memory is still in tact.”

Howie nodded and began to walk into the room, Dr. Seid closing the door behind him. Kevin opened one eye, peeking through the slit. “Hey D.” he whispered hoarsely.

Howie smiled and approached his bedside. “Hey big guy… how you holding up?”

Kevin shrugged, “Pretty good, if I do say so myself. I just feel a constant throbbing sensation in my head, leg and ribs… you know, pain I can deal with.”

Howie chuckled, “Yeah, you can deal with anything! So, who did you see so far?”

“My wife… she had left though, said she’d be back. Other than her, you were my only other visitor for today.”

“Well, don’t I feel special!” Howie replied with a grin. Kevin laughed. “We were all waiting on you buddy, Brian, Nick and I have been conscious for quite some time now, it was you and AJ who gave us the biggest scare. AJ had pulled through and had woke up before you though.”

“What and who does he remember so far?”

“Well,” Howie sighed. “He remembers his life before we started our career. The only recent event he remembers is his stint in rehab.”

Kevin began to frown. “So… he doesn’t remember us?”

“The only person he remembers is me… due to the fact that we had befriended way before the explosion of our career. I had to explain what we did, how, why and when we became a vocal group and what we have accomplished together in our lives so far. But not to worry, AJ hasn’t lost his memory forever, he’s only suffered a mild case of amnesia, losing his memory only temporarily. In time he will gain his memory back, not all at once, but in segments. It is our job to help him remember by showing him things. Anything can strike his brain and cause his memory to come back at any second. Anything from music, to saying a simple word. It is important though that we remain patient with him. We can’t feed all this information to him at one time, it can become painful for him, even lethal.”

Before Kevin could say anything in reply, the door to the room opened, both Dr. Seid and Dr. McNorton standing behind it. “May I have a word with you Howie?” Dr. McNorton had asked.

Howie’s eyes widened. “Why, what happened? Did something happen to somebody?”

“Calm down Mr. Dorough.” Dr. Seid said. “He just needs to have a word with you in regards to Brian Littrell.”

“Brian Littrell?” Kevin repeated. “Look, whatever he has to say to Howie about Brian, he can say it in front of me because Brian is my cousin.”

Dr. McNorton took a deep breath in and sighed, shoving his hands into the pockets of his white lab coat. “Brian suffered a heart attack not too long ago.” Both Howie and Kevin gasped. “Not to worry though, he’s stabilized and is resting right now, but we wanted to know if it’d be a problem if we moved you to room with Nick. Brian needs all the rest he can get, and we feel it’d be best if he spent his time alone.”

Howie shook his head, shocked at the new information, but relieved with the fact that Brian was still okay. “There’s no problem doctor…”

Dr. McNorton nodded, “Great, if you don’t mind, I’d like to get you situated in your new room while Dr. Seid works with Kevin.”

Howie turned back towards Kevin and shook his hand, “I’ll be back to see you later man.”

Kevin smiled, “Well, I’ll be here… you know good and well I ain’t go nowhere!”

Howie smiled as well and shook his head at his crazy antics. Both he and Dr. McNorton began to walk down the hall towards the elevator. Once they entered and the door slid shut, he began to think of what he had gotten himself into by agreeing to room with Nick. What was he to say if he decided to ask him about Aaron?