- Text Size +
His eyes was closed, but he was alert, only being semiconscious. He could feel a presence in the room, not a spiritual, but an actual person. A familiar scent had caught his senses, sending them into overload. His eyes fluttered open, he found himself staring a beautiful woman he considered his goddess.

“Leighanne?”

Leighanne smiled, tears brimming in her eyes. She walked from the door straight to his bed and embraced him, never wanting to let go. Brian could only close his eyes and inhale the scent that surrounded him. How could he push away her lovely smell, her gentle arms, her sweet lips, her radiant eyes, her golden locks, the love of his life. He made a mistake that time, and he was to make sure he wouldn’t do it again.

“I’m so sorry baby…” Brian apologized. “Please forgive me.”

Leighanne released him and placed a finger upon his lips, preventing him from saying anything more. “I’m not looking for an apology. I just want to hold you… that’s all.”

Brian nodded and grabbed at her again, squeezing her in a tight embrace this time. They remained like that for a while, before Leighanne decide to break away, the awkward position of the hug was straining her back. “I was waiting for you to wake up… and I couldn’t help than to notice this big… hole in the wall. Do you mind if I ask what that was all about?”

Brian sighed, “Nick punched the wall… he was discharged earlier today and he had found out about Aaron’s death only now. He was upset at both Howie and I for not telling him…”

“What?” Leighanne questioned him, a bit shocked. “why didn’t you guys tell him? That was his brother, he had a right to know as soon as possible.”

Brian turned away to look at the hole, he really didn’t want to talk about the earlier events, but at the same time, he didn’t want to push his wife away again. “I know… but, I felt he wasn’t ready for such news… especially since he was recovering and all. The truth is, I was assuming he wasn’t ready, and at the same time, I was too busy saying how unfit it would’ve been to tell him at that moment when in actuality I myself wasn’t ready to tell him. Now, he’s mad at us and went off the god knows where… and it’s all my fault.”

“Oh sweetie.” Leighanne sighed, “This isn’t your fault… I’m sure Nick would’ve been the same way if Harold had died. He would’ve thought about your health and condition first. Knowing Nick, if he had found out while he was still here in the hospital, he would’ve literally beaten himself up over the whole situation, which would’ve only made matters worse.”

“That’s what I’ve been thinking. But I also realized that I had been selfish this whole time… blaming him for not being ready to know when it was me this whole time who wasn’t ready to tell him. I lost him already Leighanne.”

Leighanne grabbed his hand and brought it towards her lips, kissing the top of it gently. Brian closed his eyes as it brought back memories of her doing exactly that when he first awoken, finding her to be the only one that was at his side. “You didn’t lose him Brian. He just needs time to think things through… you know Nick, he can’t stay mad at you forever, he’ll come around, just give him time. Now, what you need to do is stop beating yourself up over this situation and get the rest you need so you can get out of here faster. I heard you went into cardiac arrest.”

Brian tensed up when she said that. “Yeah… the weird thing was, it was me and Nick were talking. He was talking about Aaron, how he had to see him and tell him that everything was going to be okay, and hearing him say that literally gave me a heart attack.”

“You see, your getting yourself worked up over so much honey, you need to take it easy. You keep doing this, you’ll never be able to leave the hospital. By the way, your management has rented out a hotel not far from here for you guys to stay in, for security reasons.”

Brian snapped up to look at her. “They believed us?”

“Believed what?”

“We told Dr. McNorton that this whole situation wasn’t an accident…”

“Ahh yes,” Leighanne interrupted him. “Johnny was explaining that to me. That’s why Howie told them to rent out the nearest hotel for you… discharged people to stay in, which will be heavily guarded by a team of security guards.”

“What about AJ and Kevin? They’re both in ICU, and I’m sure I’ll be discharged before those two.”

“That’s just it… they’re in ICU, which is heavily guarded anyway. But I was informed that in a day or two they will be downgraded to a regular hospital room, they still will be watched by a security team 24/7.”

Brian nodded and grabbed both of her hands in his, causing her to stare straight into his eyes. “I want you to go and stay at my parent’s house… there is no way in hell…”

But Leighanne silenced him. “It’s okay sweetie, that’s all taken care of already. Your family, as well as the rest of the fellas families are being guarded as well. Not stop worrying about everything so much.”

Brian smiled and looked to the side, seeing a vase of roses for the first time. “Who’s that from?”

Leighanne turned back to look at the roses as well. “From Denise… she came by earlier to drop it off, but you were sleeping, so she just left it and told me to tell you that she loves you and will see you later on tonight.”

Brian nodded. “So… how’s Baylee doing?”

“He’s with your mother… has been for a while, driving her up the wall, but of course she doesn’t mind. They should be flying back down here in a day or two to attend Aaron’s funeral.”

Brian’s heart skipped a beat. “When’s Aaron’s funeral?”

“Sunday.” Leighanne replied. “The doctors are hopeful that you’ll be released before then, and as for Kevin and AJ… they’ll allow them to attend if they want to, but they must come back to the hospital after it’s done.”

Brian rolled his head to the side and found himself staring up at the ceiling. “God Leigh… what have I done?”

Leighanne brushed his hair out of his face and began to run her fingernails down the side of his face. “What any best friend would’ve done…”