- Text Size +
The next day came quickly, and Brian had a cab drive to the hospital to pick up both Kevin and AJ. He wasn’t sure if Howie knew that they were both being released today, and he didn’t really care, he wasn’t ready to face him today, guilt was still pestering him. He walked in through the sliding doors and boarded the elevators, riding up to the fifth floor. As soon as he stepped off the elevator, he didn’t see Marcus guarding AJ’s door for some reason. Fear quickly settled deep within his stomach, he felt as if something was terribly wrong. He began to jog towards the room and quickly busted through the door, causing both AJ and Howie to look up at him, a startled _expression on his face.

Brian simply stood there sheepishly, wondering what Howie was doing there. Howie stared at him for a while, but then glanced away.

“Hey Rok.” AJ said with a smile. “I told Howie yesterday that I was going to be released today. Are we ready to go?”

Brian simply stared at them, more at AJ and avoiding looking over at Howie at any cost. “You can go back to the hotel with Howie… I’ll go get Kevin.” And with that, he walked out of the room.

“Brian, wait.” AJ called out, but Brian had closed the door already and just continued to walk to Kevin’s room, embarrassed by the way he rushed into the room.

As soon as he got to the room, he opened the door and seen a nurse helping Kevin off the bed and into a wheelchair. “Ready to go Kevin?” Brian asked.

Kevin looked up to Brian and frowned when he seen something in Brian’s eyes, something he had never seen before. “Um, yeah… I guess… I didn’t know you were coming down to get me too.”

Brian’s _expression turned puzzled. “What do you mean?”

“Well, Howie had come to pick both AJ and I up… I didn’t know you came with him, I mean… he didn’t say that you came along with him.”

Brian sighed heavily. “Great! I already got a freaking cab downstairs waiting because I was supposed to pick up you and AJ, but whatever… you can just go with Howie, I’ll see you back at the hotel.”

“Now wait just a minute Brian.”

Brian turned and reached for the door, but stopped when his cousin called out for him. “Since Howie is with AJ, he can take him back to the hotel… I’ll just go with you, it’s no big deal.”

Brian remained silent for a while, thinking over what his cousin proposed. “Fine whatever just come on and let’s go.”

The nurse began to wheel Kevin out of the room, but Brian had stopped her and took over instead, wheeling Kevin out of the room and over to the elevators. “What’s the matter with you Bri?” Kevin asked.

“It’s a long story.” Brian quickly replied as he continuously punched the elevator button, waiting impatiently for any of the elevator doors to slide open. As soon as the first elevator opened its doors, Brian quickly wheeled Kevin in and pushed the “L” button.

“Well, I want you to tell me this long story on the ride back to the hotel.” Kevin said in a monotone voice.
Brian sighed, knowing his cousin wouldn’t stop pestering him until he told him what the problem was. “It’s Howie.”

“What, you guys having a race on who can get back to the hotel the fastest?”

“No.” Brian accidentally shouted. He didn’t mean to sound so harsh, but he didn’t like the way Kevin was taking this situation so lightly. “Both Howie and I had gotten into it… the day of Aaron’s burial, and since then, we hadn’t said anything to each other. The reason I’m rushing out of this damn place is because I’m not ready to face him. I’m the reason why we fought in the first place, and I just feel guilty.”

Kevin fell silent for a while. “Well, that wasn’t a long story.”

Brian simply chuckled; glad his cousin could lighten up the situation just a bit for him. “I know… I just said that because I didn’t want to tell you. I figured if I told you it was a long story, you wouldn’t want to hear it… but I should’ve known better.”

The doors slid open and Brian wheeled him out towards the cab, which was parked right in front. He helped his cousin out of the wheelchair and had helped him into the back of the cab. He then pushed the wheelchair off to the side and got into the back of the cab himself. “Are you gonna apologize to him?” Kevin asked, staring out the window as they drove past the many trees.

Brian stared at him for a while, but then diverted his attention straightforward. “I will… I need to do a lot of things, and I’m gonna get it done.”