- Text Size +
Once Brian had situated Kevin in his hotel room, he walked back to his room and opened the door, kicking it close behind him. He walked over to his bed and just collapsed backwards on it, taking in a deep breath in and releasing it heavily. There was a slight knock on the door, and everything fell silent once again.

“Come in.” Brian called out, hoping whoever it was had heard them and wouldn’t make him get out of his bed to
answer it.

The door squeaked as it opened, revealing AJ who was peering in. Brian raised his head to see who it was, and when he saw that it was AJ, he allowed his head to fall back on the pillow. “You can come in.”

AJ pushed the door open further and walked in, walking over to the bed. “Hey Brian… I just wanted to come over here and apologize for what happened earlier today. I really didn’t know Howie was going to come down and pick me and…” he paused as he tried to think over who the other person was that he was supposed to pick up. “Kevin up. I told him yesterday that we were going to be released, and he just showed up today… he didn’t tell me he was going to be the one who was going to pick us up, and I thought you knew about it, so I didn’t think it was going to be a big deal.”

“There’s no need to apologize AJ… and you’re right, it was no big deal. I myself didn’t know that Howie was going to pick you guys up, he didn’t say anything to me either.”

AJ fell silent for a while, wanting to ask him a question, but not wanting to upset him. “If you don’t mind me asking… how come you reacted the way you did when you seen that Howie was helping me out?”

Brian rose off the bed and just sat on the edge, clasping his hands together. “I honestly don’t know…” he fell silent for a while, licking his lips. “Both Howie and I had gotten into a little argument days ago and since then… we hadn’t said anything to each other. That’s why I was a little… surprised to see Howie there, picking you up.”

“So you’re not mad at me?”

Brian looked up at AJ and smiled. “Why would I be? I honestly don’t have a reason to be upset at anyone, not even Howie.”

“So… would right now be an okay time to ask you if you’re still going to live up to your promise?”

Brian simply chuckled. “AJ… anytime would be a great time. I’m ready when you are… and what better place to reminisce than your favorite fast food joint in America?”

A slow grin crept on AJ’s face, the infamous grin that always made girls squeal in chaos. “I’ll go get ready.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian grabbed the tray of food off the counter and began to walk over to the table that both he and AJ were seated at. Once he placed it down, he passed AJ his meal and took his own meal off the tray.

“You wouldn’t believe how much I was craving this.” AJ said as he took a bite of his sandwich, relishing the flavor. “Sure, Howie dropped by and snuck me in McDonalds, but nothing beats dining in and eating their food.”

Brian laughed as he took one of his French fries and bathed it in the tartar sauce which was on the side of his filet-o-fish sandwich. “Well, you eat and enjoy buddy…”

They sat there in silence for a while, finishing off their meal. As soon as AJ was finished with his sandwich, he grabbed a napkin from off the tray and began to wipe off any crumbs that may have been on his mouth. “Well, where do we start?”

Brian took a swig of his soda before he answered him. “Where do you want to start?”

AJ shrugged as he began to pick at his remaining French fries. “I don’t really know… that’s why I asked you. You know more than I do, so you start it off.”

Brian placed his drink off to the side and sighed. “Well… in the year of 1992, we all got together and a man by the name of Lou Pearlman created us, a boy band. Our band name was Backstreet Boys, taking the name from a local flea market in Florida. We began recording demos, giving it to various companies, and we caught the attention of one record label while we were doing a live performance. We signed with Jive Records and started to record professional songs. In the year of 1993, we released our very first single, Quit Playing Games With My Heart.”

“How does that song go?”

Brian cocked an eyebrow, not believing that he had actually asked the question. “Wait… you want me to sing it?”

AJ shrugged, “Well, sure… if it helps to bring my memory back.”

Brian sighed heavily, leaning in closer to AJ so his singing wouldn’t catch anyone’s attention. “Well… I’m not really sure if I sound so good, I mean, I haven’t sung… we haven’t sung anything since the accident.”

“And I guess we’ll never know how you sound until you sing…”

Brian chuckled, he had a point there. “Well okay… here it goes… Even in my heart, I see… your not being true to me… deep within my soul, I feel… nothing’s like it used to be… sometimes I wish I could, turn back time… impossible as it may seem… but I wish I could, so bad… baby… quit playing games with my heart.”

He fell silent, waiting for AJ’s reaction. “Is that all?” AJ asked.

“Well,” Brian slurred, “I was waiting to see if you would have picked up on anything.”

AJ shook his head. “Nope, keep going.”

“Quit playing games with my heart… with my heart… with my heart… with my heart… I should’ve known from the start… from my heart… from my heart… from my heart. And in my life, the way… to keep you coming back to me… everything I do, is for you… so what is it that you can’t see… sometimes I wish I could, turn back time… impossible as it may seem… but I wish I could… so bad… baby… you better, quit playing games with my heart… with my heart… with my heart… with my, I should’ve known from the start… from my heart… from my heart… quit playing games…”

AJ smiled, “You have a nice voice Brian.”

Brian laughed. “AJ, you weren’t supposed to be paying attention to my voice, you were supposed to be paying attention to the words. Now, I’m gonna say the next words, and I want you to sing it… however you think it should be sung. In the actual song, these next words is the part where you come in to sing, so just sing what I tell you, okay?”

AJ nodded. “Sure… but wait, what if I don’t sound as I’m supposed to?”

“Well, we’ll never know how you sound until you sing!” Brian mocked. “Now, sing these words… baby, baby… the love that we had was so strong… don’t keep me hanging here forever.”

AJ remained silent, thinking over the words Brian had told him and thinking of how he could, or would sing it to match the tune of the song. “Baby, baby… the love that we had was so strong… don’t keep me hanging here forever…”

Brian smiled. “Good… you see, you matched the tune of the song, and I didn’t even have to sing your part to remind you of how it should sound. Now, sing this… oh baby, baby… this is not right, lets stop this tonight.”

“Oh baby, baby… this is not right, lets stop this tonight…” AJ sung, matching the tune perfectly.

Brian could only continue to smile as he thought helping AJ getting his memory back wouldn’t be as hard as he thought. “Now, I’m gonna take it back to the chorus and I want you to jump in on your part, okay?”

AJ nodded as Brian began to sing. “I should’ve known from the start… from my heart… from my heart…quit playing games.”

AJ jumped in perfectly and on time. “Baby, baby… the love that we had was so strong… don’t keep me hanging here forever… oh baby, baby… this is not right, lets stop this tonight…”

Brian nodded. “Perfect. Now, sing the chorus with me and I’m gonna harmonize with it. You keep your voice straight, even if you hear me change my voice up a notch, okay?”

AJ nodded and began to sing the chorus with Brian. “Quit playing games with my heart… with my heart… with my heart… with my, I should’ve known from the start… from my heart… from my heart… from my heart…”

Brian gave AJ a high five, congratulating him on how he was getting his memory to work again. “How ‘bout we go back to the hotel and show off what you remember, what do you say?”

AJ smiled. “I say that sounds like a plan!”