- Text Size +
Brian opened his eyes and found himself staring at his ceiling. He turned in his bed and looked over at the clock that was sitting on the small table near his bed. It was 9:25 am, he had slept almost the whole day yesterday after he had got off the phone with Nick. He rubbed his hand over his face and got up off his bed. He opened his door and looked out into the hallway, seeing no one in sight. He walked over towards Kevin’s room and knocked four times, waiting for someone to answer the door.

Kevin immediately opened the door all the way to allow Brian to walk inside. “Well good morning Sleeping Beauty.”

Brian rolled his eyes as he walked into the room, finding Howie on the phone and AJ sitting on a chair near the balcony, surfing through TV channels. “What’s going on here? You guys throwing a party without me?” Brian asked no one in particular.

“No.” Kevin responded. “We all gathered here because we were gonna go down to the café to get some breakfast… care to join us?”

“Well, I guess so since I’m up.”

As AJ continued to flick through the channels, something on MTV had caught his attention. He quickly switched it back to MTV and seen a picture of all five of them. “Hey you guys…” he called out. “Isn’t that us?”

Kevin, Brian and Howie turned their attention onto the TV as AJ turned the volume up.

“It’s almost been a month since the Backstreet Boys were involved in a serious bus accident that killed Aaron Carter and left all five members hospitalized. Today, Nick Carter, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, Howie Dorough and Kevin Richardson are all out of the hospital and are healing quite well, but the only thing that doesn’t seem to be healing at all is the band itself. Nick Carter, the youngest member of the Backstreet quintet has went public today in announcing the disbandment of the Backstreet Boys. The cause of the breakup is still unknown, but it is said from Nick Carter that, quote: “Due to personal reasons, I have decided today that I am through with the band. We will have a meeting with our management today and come to a mutual agreement that the Backstreet Boys will be no more.” That is your news for now, for more on the breakup of the Backstreet Boys, login to mtv.com and click on MTV news. Stay tuned for more news every ten to the hour, right here on MTV.”

The four of them looked at each other in shock, AJ grabbing the remote and clicking the TV off.

“Um mom, I gotta go… no, everything’s fine, I’ll be sure to call you back later… okay… love you to… goodbye.” Howie hung the phone up and just stared at the TV, no one said anything.

There was a knock on the door, and they all turned around to see Marcus opening the door and peering in. “We need you all now down to the second floor, in the meeting hall.”

Kevin turned to look at the rest of them. “Lets go.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Once they arrived there, they seen Johnny seated at the head of the long table, and Nick was seated on the left side of the table, near Johnny. The four of them slowly and quietly walked into the room, sitting on the right side of the table, directly across from Nick.

“So,” Johnny leaned forward in his chair and clasped his hands together. “do we all know why we’re here?”

“Yeah, we heard the unfortunate news before Marcus came to get us…” Kevin replied in a monotone voice. “And I would just like to ask one question… Nick, who the fuck are you to go and breakup the band behind our backs?”

“I have my reasons Kevin…” Nick replied ever so calmly. “Reasons I’m sure you all know of, so I really don’t think you have the right to ask me who the fuck I am to go and breakup the band… and for your information, I didn’t breakup the band… I just quit.”

Howie’s face twisted in puzzlement. “But, it was announced on MTV news that you broke up the band.”

“And your gonna believe the media?” Nick asked in an eerie tone. “We’ve been in this business for how long Howie? You should know better than to believe the media…”

“So why do you want to quit?” AJ asked him.

Nick turned his look towards AJ, and his glare softened. “We’ve come to the end of the road boys…”

“Look,” Johnny interjected for the first time. “why don’t we just take another hiatus. Nick, you can’t disband this group by yourself.”

“You wanna make a fucking bet?” Nick asked.

Johnny shook his head, “No, but it says in the contract that the only way this group can be disbanded is if there’s a mutual agreement between all five members.”

Nick slammed his hands on the table, causing all of them except for Kevin to jump in reaction. “I don’t give a fuck what you all decide to do… all I know is that I’m out of this group… you guys can all go and fuck yourselves.” and with that, he snapped up from his seat and left the room.

Everyone remained where they were, staring at one another in shock. Brian glared up at Nick, watching him as he left the room. “There will be a reason. He’s going to do something radical, and that’ll be your opportunity to break him down. Now, wake up and go see what it is.”

Brian snapped up from his chair as well and walked out of the room. Nick was about to push the elevator button, but Brian rushed him and tackled him into the wall.

Nick’s eyes fell shut when he felt the wind being knocked out of his lungs. When he opened his eyes once again, he seen Brian standing before him, pinning him to the wall. “What the fuck is wrong with you?” Nick asked him.

Brian grabbed the collar of Nick’s shirt and pulled him forward, slamming him back into the wall. “No, the question is what the fuck is wrong with you. I’m tired of you Nick, I’m tired of apologizing, I’m tired of kissing your sorry ass, I’m tired of sitting back and allowing you to walk all over me. I’m fucking tired of it all already. No longer will I beg and plead for your forgiveness… you can be mad at me all you want, but there is no fucking way in hell I’m gonna let you break up this group, because it wasn’t them who refused to tell you about Aaron’s death, it was I.”

Nick tried to break the grasp on his shirt, but Brian only tightened it and slammed him back into the wall. “We aren’t the ones you should be mad at… if anything, you should be mad at the fucker who ran us off the road and tried to kill us all… he’s the one who put Aaron six feet below the earth, not us.”

“Let me go!” Nick screamed, tears streaming down his face. Deep inside, he knew Brian was right, but he didn’t want him to know it.

“I’ve been the one who’s been doing all the listening, now… your gonna listen to me this time. I’m saying this for the last fucking time… I’m sorry. You can take it or leave it, I no longer give a shit what you do. Now, the only fucking way you’ll be able to leave this group is to get to that contract and void it… and the only way you’ll be able to get to that contract is through me… and I hope you know that I never give up… and I never let go.”

Brian released his grip just a bit, and Nick took that as an opportunity to strike. He rose his left arm and launched his fist forward, connecting it with Brian’s temple. Brian staggered backwards, everything spinning around him. Nick tackled Brian to the ground and pinned him there, preparing to strike at his face again, but someone had grabbed his fist and had hauled him off of Brian. When he looked up, he seen Kevin squeezing his wrist, pushing him back away from Brian.

“You son of a bitch!” Nick screamed, but Kevin simply shoved him back into the wall near the elevator.

Meanwhile, both Howie and AJ were helping Brian off the ground. Once Brian stood, he seen Nick standing against the wall near Kevin, and he rushed at Nick, but Johnny and Howie grabbed him, pulling him back.

“That’s enough!” Kevin’s voice roared.

The elevator made a “ding” noise and the doors slid open. Brian broke away from the grasp Johnny and Howie had on him and walked right into the elevator, bypassing everyone. Before he got onto the elevator, he stopped beside Nick and glared at him. “I hope your happy…” he sneered before he got onto the elevator and the doors slid close.

Nick allowed his head to fall back and hit the wall behind him. Johnny, AJ and Howie walked away, back towards the meeting hall, leaving Kevin and Nick standing there alone. Nick opened his teary eyes and just stared at Kevin, before he too turned and left him. Nick began to cry, his sobs wracking his body. He allowed himself to slide down the wall until he was sitting on the ground, covering his face as tears continued to spew from his eyes. Now, he truly felt alone and only now did he realize that it was all his fault.