- Text Size +
Kevin’s eyes shot open and he found himself dangling upside down. There was a tight pressure on his chest and stomach area, and when he looked down, he seen that his seatbelt was still latched. He looked off to the side and seen Howie strapped upside down as well.

“Is everyone alright?” Kevin asked.

“Yeah.” came Brian’s soft reply. Kevin turned his head slightly to see that his cousin was not latched into his seat, handing upside down. In fact, he was on his knees, the roof of the car now being the bottom.

“Why the hell are we hanging upside down?” Howie asked no one in particular.

“Our car flipped over and we landed on our roof top.” Kevin responded, reaching down his seat to unbuckle the belt.

Once he unlatched it, he immediately dropped from his seat, landing painfully on the shards of glass that was below him. “Shit.” he muttered, the pieces of glass protruding from his skin. “Howie, can you get free?”

Howie reached down to the buckle and began to unlatch it. “I think so.”

“Be careful” was Kevin’s only response before Howie dropped from his seat and landed on the roof top. Kevin began to kick the door open on his side, and after a couple of hard kicks, he was able to get the mangled door open. They all crawled out and had walked up out of the small ditch and onto the side of the road.

Kevin pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and had dialed Marcus’s number. After a couple of rings, Marcus finally answered. “Hello?”

“Hey man,” Kevin replied. “You want to do us a favor?”

“You guys made it to the hotel already?”

Kevin turned to look at the bust-up SUV that was now lying in the small ditch on the side of the road. “Well, not exactly…”

“Not exactly? What in the hell do you mean not exactly?”

“We were ran off the road… again.”

“What?!?”

“Don’t worry though… we’re all fine, nothing we need to be readmitted into the hospital for. We just need you to come and pick us up.”

“And how in the hell do you expect me to get to you guys? You guys took my car, remember?”

“Well, can’t you catch a cab out here or something?”

The other line fell silent for a while. “Fine, whatever! You guys stay right where you are, did you take the same route back to the hotel?”

“Yup, just drive until your SUV down in a ditch on the side of the road.”

“I want you guys to go back down to the ditch and stay by the car, in case that guy comes back around. If anything else happens before I get there, call me back immediately.”

Kevin nodded. “Will do… thanks Marc.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“I cannot believe this…” Johnny muttered to himself as he paced back and forth in Kevin’s room.

Both Howie and Brian were in the bathroom, busy taking out the small shard of glass that was stuck in their arms. Meanwhile, Kevin was sitting on his bed and taking out the glass that was stuck in his arms. “Yeah, we can’t believe it either Johnny.”

Johnny stopped his pacing. “You guys could’ve been killed Kevin! How can you take this situation so lightly?” he looked down at Kevin’s arm and seen blood ooze out the spot where Kevin removed the small piece of glass. “I’m taking you guys to the hospital.”

“This is nothing we need to go into the hospital for. Sure, this fucker ran us off the road, but he didn’t kill us… and we sustained non-life threatening minor injuries.”

Johnny turned and glared at Marcus. “This is all your fault!”

“Hey, hey, hey!” Brian interjected, walking out of the bathroom and in between Marcus and Johnny. “If you want to blame anyone, blame the three of us!”

“Two of them!” Howie yelled out.

Brian shrugged, “Okay, two us then… me and Kevin. It was our ideal to take the keys away from Marcus. It was our ideal to drive ourselves back to the hotel. This was all our doings, Marcus had nothing to do with it.”

“Bullshit!” Johnny scoffed. “Marcus is a big man, how in the hell could he let you guys bypass him and sneak the keys right out of his pocket?”

“Easy.” Kevin retorted.

Johnny turned to look at Marcus once more and pointed his finger at him. “Your fired.”

“What?! But… but why?” Marcus began to stammer.

“Now wait just a goddamn minute!” Kevin said, rising from his bed. “You have no right to fire Marcus, because his specific duty was to protect AJ, not us. He was doing just that before all this shit happened. I persuaded him to give me the keys so I could drive us back to the hotel, since we were only a couple blocks away. Now, if your gonna fire him, then you might as well say goodbye to the rest of us…”

Johnny fell silent for a while, thinking over what Kevin had said. He was upset with Marcus, but at the same time, he didn’t want to lose his band. “This is it! No one is to go anywhere by themselves. You will all have your bodyguards by your side at all times, no if, ands or buts about it.” and with that, he stormed out of the room.

They all remained silent for a while, before Marcus turned and pointed an accusing finger at Kevin. “I swear…”

“I know, I know…” Kevin interrupted him. “Never again Marc, we promise.”

Marcus sighed and looked down at his watch, checking the time. “Oh shit, I have to get back to AJ!”