- Text Size +
AJ’s eyes fluttered open, the sound of someone shuffling about in his room had awoken him. The room was dark, there was a faint glow, but not enough to help him see if someone was in the room with him.

“Marcus?” he called out, but received no response.

He rose a little off his bed, only to be pulled back and a sharp blade placed at his throat. “Say one word or scream, and I’ll slit your fucking throat!” the voice threatened.

AJ tried to turn to see who it was, but the grip tightened harder, making him unable to move. “Look, I’ll give you whatever you want…”

The man pressured the blade deeper into his throat. “Didn’t I just tell you not to say one word? If you wanna give me what I want, then I want you to keep your fucking mouth shut so I won’t have to spew your fucking blood all over this damn bed.”

AJ nodded and tried to shy away from the blade that was painfully pushed into his throat, but it was no use. The man roughly yanked AJ off the bed and began to pull him to the door, but stopped when he heard someone outside the door, jingling the knob around.

“AJ… this is Marcus, open up!”

The man turned to look at AJ, but AJ remained quiet. He grabbed him by the back of the neck and began to shove him towards the window. “C’mon, we’re going out through the window…”

AJ stopped in his tracks, backing away so the man couldn’t push him anymore. “You… you were the one who ran us off the road, we’re you?”

The man turned and swiped his knife at AJ, slicing his arm. AJ quickly backed away, but not fast enough because he felt a stinging sensation coarse through his right forearm. He backed away until he hit the corner of the room, and he just slid down the wall, covering his arm. The man began to advance towards AJ once again, but stopped when he heard someone beginning to open the door. He quickly ran back towards the window and opened it, crawling out and running down the street.

As soon as the man left, the door swung open, revealing the hospital’s security guard, Dr. McNorton and Marcus. “Oh shit…” Marcus muttered as he seen AJ on the ground in the corner of the room.

He began to walk towards AJ and had bent down in front of him. “AJ, are you okay?”

AJ looked up and just stared at Marcus. “It was him… he got into my room somehow, I don’t know how though…”

Marcus began to scan his body, finding his right arm to be bloody. “Oh god, what in the hell happened? What did he do to you?”

AJ looked down at his arm and removed his hand, revealing a long slash which wasn’t deep at all. “He slashed me… I’m fine though, I just want to get out of here.”

Marcus rose from the ground and began to advance on Dr. McNorton. “How in the hell could you guys allow this to happen?”

Dr. McNorton began to back away from the larger man. “Your blaming us for this incident? It was your job to be here and protect him, not ours!”

“I had to go and attend something else that was important. I had paid one of your security guards to keep an eye on him.”

“That wasn’t one of our security guards…” a voice said.

Both Dr. McNorton and Marcus turned around to see the nurse that was appointed to AJ standing there. “What do you mean that wasn’t one of our security guards?” Dr. McNorton asked.

The young nurse looked up at both of them. “The man you paid doesn’t work here at all… I’ve never seen him around this facility before… at least not in my five years of working here.”

“And when in the hell were you going to tell me this?” Marcus snapped.

The young nurse began to cry silently. “I was there when you paid him… I was there right before he walked into AJ’s room. I saw the knife he was hiding in his pants. He threatened to kill me if I had told anyone of his intentions… he gave me your money because he wanted me to lock him in the room, I refused at first, but he threatened to kill me right there on the spot… I’m sorry.”

Dr. McNorton walked up to the young nurse and had embraced her in his arms, walking her sobbing form out of the room. Marcus turned around and seen AJ now standing, using the wall to support him. “C’mon.” Marcus sighed. “Lets get you out of here man…”