- Text Size +
He walked into the cemetery, drops of water beginning to fall from the sky, but it wasn’t going to stop him from going to see his brother’s grave. With every second that passed by, the rain began to fall faster and harder, pelting his body like soft bullets. He seen a mound of dirt in the distance, and he knew instantly that it was his brother’s grave. As he neared, he noticed that there were sprouts of grass beginning to grow on the grave. He knelt down before the grave and placed his hands on the dirt mound, which was now beginning to slosh into a muddy mess because of the rain.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me…” he whispered. “It hurts so much Aaron, and I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve lost my best friend for good… but it isn’t my fault, is it?” he paused, as if waiting for an answer, but knowing one would never come. “He kept your death a secret, what best friend would do that? This all couldn’t possibly be my fault… I mean, Brian doesn’t even care anymore.” he pulled out the picture he had placed in his pocket earlier, unfolding it and staring at the group picture. “Then again… I was the one who pushed him away, I’ve pushed them all away. Brian was right… they’re not the ones I should be mad at for your death, they weren’t the reason the accident occurred in the first place.” he crumpled up the picture in his fist. “I just… I don’t know what to do anymore.”

He took a moment to pause from speaking, and that’s when he heard a twig snap, as if someone had stepped on it and broke it. He quickly whirled around, only to find no one standing there. The rain that was running down his face was beginning to blur his vision, but he shrugged the noise off, guessing it was an animal. Just when he turned to look at his brother’s grave again, a pair of arms had wrapped themselves around his chest, hauling him off the muddy ground. Nick began to struggle against the grasp, but whoever it was wouldn’t let up. The person behind him then pulled out a knife, preparing to thrust it into Nick’s stomach, but Nick whipped his head back. The man dropped the knife, but didn’t let go of Nick, instead he lifted Nick off the ground and had tossed him to the side.

Nick grunted when he felt his body slam into a tombstone, the wind being knocked out of his lungs. The man wiped away the blood that was dripping from his nose and had picked up his knife, advancing towards Nick again. Nick just laid there, trying to recollect the air that was forced out of his lungs. The man straddled Nick’s waist, lifting the knife high in the air and preparing to bring it down, but Nick reached out and had grabbed his arms, bringing the man’s knife away from him. They both struggled for a while in the rain, but Nick was able to shove the man away from him. He pushed himself up off the ground, screaming when he felt a burst of pain course through his leg. He looked down and seen the knife protruding from left thigh, and the man was scrambling to get up off the ground.

Nick didn’t wait for the man to stand; he simply took his fist and gave him an uppercut to the face, causing the man to fall back onto the ground. Once he knew that the man was dazed and wouldn’t be getting up anytime soon, he began to hobble away, the knife still stuck in his thigh. Once he got near the chapel, he hid behind the wall, making sure that the man couldn’t see where he was. He collapsed against the wall and began to slide down it, sitting on the ground. He looked down at his bloody thigh and slowly began to inch his fingers towards the protruding knife, but quickly pulled it away when a new wave of pain hit him. He winced but shoved his fist in his mouth, preventing any sound from coming out. He took a deep breath in and had grabbed the knife with two hands, quickly ripping it out of his leg. He quickly bit his tongue to keep him from screaming out; the only sound being able to escape was a small squeal. The bitter taste of blood began to fill his mouth when he realized that he had bitten his tongue harder than he expected to. He tossed the bloody knife to the side and had applied pressure to his leg, pushing down hard in hopes to stop the bleeding.

He pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and was about to call home, but decided not to because he knew that he would be in a lot of trouble if they found out where he went and what had happened. Hesitantly, he dialed AJ’s number.

“Hello?” a voice answered after the third ring.

“AJ.” Nick whispered. “Jay… it’s Nick.”

“Nick who?”

Nick closed his eyes, forgetting that he was still struggling in remembering who they all were. “You know… Nick… blonde hair, blue eyes.”

“Oh, that Nick. Dude, why are you calling me, I thought you were mad at all of us.”

“AJ, I need you to shutup and listen. I’m at the cemetery, and I need to know if there’s anyway you can come and get me. That fucker is here.”

“Fucker? What fucker?”

Nick sighed, “The one who ran us off the road. Look, I don’t have time to explain everything to you right now, I just need to know if there’s a way you can catch a cab to get me or something, and I need you to come by yourself.”

“I would Nick, I really would, but you see… we can’t leave the premises. Me, Howie, Brian and Kevin are in this house in some remote area and we can’t leave anywhere because we’re being heavily guarded. I could call a security guard to go and get you.”

“NO!” Nick shouted accidentally, and he quickly covered his mouth. “No… don’t call anyone.”

“What I mean is that I can call Marcus and have him pick you up. I’ll make sure he won’t say anything to anyone, and if you want I can go with him to make sure nothing is said to anybody.”

Nick closed his eyes as he thought over what AJ said. “Alright, tell him I’ll be hiding in the chapel because that man is still out there…”

“Okay, just sit tight Nick.”