- Text Size +
“So… how was it?”

Brian grunted as the nurse had helped him back into his bed, leaning back into his plumped pillows and releasing a sigh. “Wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be… there’s a bandage around his head and on his nose.”

Howie nodded and looked away, not knowing what else to say. Brian continued to stare into nothingness, letting reality sink in for once. “What are we doing here?” Brian asked. Howie turned his head towards him. “That’s what I asked Nick… what are we doing here? This wasn’t supposed to happen…”

Howie continued to stare at him, thinking of how right he was, but also, how wrong he was. Brian, of all people, should know that God never promises us tomorrow, and we can never expect the outcome of the next day. Anything can happen to anyone, no matter who you are within this world. It honestly seemed as if Brian was losing his faith.

“Have you prayed?”

Brian’s head snapped towards Howie, his eyes wide at the question that was addressed to him. Yes… Brian’s mind screamed. “No…”

Howie glanced away, there was his answer. Brian closed his eyes and had shoved his head deeper into the pillow. “What’s wrong with me…”

Howi quickly turned to face him, thinking that there was something physically wrong with him, but he could tell he was battling his inner demons, the demons that had surfaced as soon as the crash occurred. “Nothing is wrong with you Brian…”

Brian’s eyes began to flutter close, events of what had happened before the crash playing through his mind. He remember sitting in the lounging area, playing Halo 2 with Aaron, AJ and Nick. He remember when they took a pit stop, both he and Aaron began playing one-on-one basketball outside. He remember watching Aaron as he made his way towards AJ’s bunk to sleep, and not long after, he followed suit to his bunk. He remembered hearing something crash, and hearing both Kevin and AJ make their way towards Nick to help him with whatever he needed help with. What in the hell is going on up there? AJ shouted. Someone is trying to run us off the road… Kevin replied. The tire of your guys’ bus popped and the driver lost control of the vehicle. Leighanne had told him. Oh god… they all had the story mixed up. It was attempted murder, not an accident.