- Text Size +
Marcus continued to drum his fingers on the steering wheel impatiently, wondering what was taking Brian so long. He said all he was going to do was check on a couple of things and get something from his house, and he would be up and out of there, but he was nowhere in sight. He began to slam his hand on the horn, hoping it would catch his attention and cause him to hurry up. A minute or so passed, and he still didn’t see anyone walk out through the door.

Sighing, he opened his car door and got out. As soon as he stepped out though, he felt someone come from behind and grabbed him, pulling his large and burly body back. He didn’t have time to fight back because all of a sudden he felt a sharp blade being placed on his throat and being dragged across slowly, leaving him gasping and wheezing for air. The man backed away and wiped the blood off of his knife onto his pants. Marcus struggled to remain standing, but it was getting harder and harder for him to do anything. He was losing oxygen and blood quick, which was making his brain delusional.

His knees finally buckled and he dropped to the ground, watching the man through heavy, glazed eyes make his way into Brian’s house. He covered the gaping wound in his throat, squeezing it in hopes to stop the bleeding. He tried to scream out for Brian, to warn him that the man was now entering his house, but nothing came out but a wheezing sound and a mist of blood spraying out.

As soon as the man entered the house, he looked up towards the stairs and wondered if he should go up and surprise him or if he should just wait for him to come downstairs. Coming to the realization that the didn’t have much time, he decided to make his way upstairs and surprise him. He slowly climbed the stairs, making sure not to make too much noise. But as soon as he reached the top of the stairs, he found himself standing right in front of Brian, who had just got done closing his bedroom door.

Brian found himself rooted to where he stood, not a word or sound being able to leave his throat. None of them moved for a while, but it was the man who sprung into action first and lunged himself forward. Brian immediately snapped back into reality and dodged to the side, crashing right into a long table that was in their hallway. He ended up yelping when he felt a searing pain course through the right side of his abdomen. He didn’t give himself time to recover because he began to make a mad sprint towards the staircase.

The man turned around to see where Brian was going. He too began sprinting towards the stairs and caught the back of his hair, yanking him backwards. Brian winced when he felt his hair being tugged back roughly, but turned around and punched the man right in the stomach. The man quickly hunched over but swiftly pulled his knife out of his pants and slashed it upwards towards Brian, slashing him right across the chest. That sudden and painful moment caught Brian off guard, causing him to fall backwards and tumble down the stairs. The man simply stood there as he watched Brian’s body tumble down the staircase as if he was nothing but a rag doll. It didn’t take long for his body to come to a stop at the bottom of the staircase.

The man placed the once again bloody knife in his pants and made his way downstairs, as if nothing was wrong. He began to whistle as he made his descent downwards, and as soon as he came to the bottom, he bent down towards Brian’s limp body and placed two of his fingers on the back of Brian’s neck. He had a weak pulse, but a heartbeat nonetheless. He then leaned in close towards Brian’s mouth, waiting for five seconds to see if he could hear him breathing. He heard light and quick breathing, but he was breathing nonetheless, which meant he was still alive, but would be knocked unconscious for quite some time. Satisfied, he picked up Brian’s unconscious form and had tossed him over his shoulder, making his way out of the house.

Marcus’s eyes fluttered open just in time to see the man walking out of the house, carrying Brian on his shoulder. Marcus used his free hand and had grabbed the man by his ankle, trying to prevent him from going any further with Brian. The man simply looked down at kicked Marcus roughly in the face, knocking him unconscious. He continued to make his way towards his car and had popped his trunk open. Once he opened his trunk, he stuffed Brian’s limp body in the back and had slammed the cover close. He made his way around the car and jumped into the passengers side, pulling out a small notebook from his glove compartment and flipping the cover open to the first page. He also pulled a pen out and began to tap it on his steering wheel. He had five names written down like so.

Nickolas Gene Carter
Alexander James McLean
Brian Thomas Littrell
Howard Dwyane Dorough
Kevin Scott Richardson

He clicked his pen and drew a straight line through Brian’s name. “One down, four more to go.”