- Text Size +
Nick looked down at his leg and had grabbed it, squeezing it in hopes to relieve the dull pain. He looked over at the man that was holding them captive and just glared. There he was, sitting beside the very man who took the life of his younger brother. He noticed that his gun was in his pants. Right there and then anger took over, causing him not to think properly. He took this opportunity to strike. He grabbed the man’s arms and pulled it away from the wheel, causing the SUV to skid off the road.

The man didn’t have time to think because before he knew it, Nick’s fist flew into his face. He tried to push Nick away, but the uncontrolled car which was swerving all over the road wasn’t helping any. All of a sudden the large SUV slammed into a wall, causing all of them to viciously jerk forward. Even though he felt a strain in his neck, that didn’t stop him from going after the man, he continued to punch him in his face. The man reached behind him and had opened the car door, causing both him and Nick to fall out. Nick fell on top of him and continued to beat the living shit out of him, the same way he had done to him when the accident occurred.

Kevin, Howie, Brian and AJ had jumped out of the car, not knowing what to do. They knew that if they stopped Nick, the man would take that to his advantage and get the upper hand in things, but they also knew that Nick couldn’t hold him off by himself for long. Kevin soon jumped in and tried his best to help Nick subdue the man. AJ, Brian and Howie could only stand there helplessly, unsure of what they could do.

The man was finally able to grab his gun out of his pants. He kicked his legs out, which came into contact with Kevin’s head and caused him to falter back. He roughly grabbed Nick by the hair and held his gun underneath his chin, fingering the trigger.

“One more move and I’ll blow his fucking brains out.” he warned.

Brian was on the ground nursing Kevin while AJ and Howie just stood there. The man turned his attention back to Nick, “I will not hesitate to kill you like I did with your fucking brother.”

“You fucking bitch!” Nick screamed as he tried to turn around to grab the man, but he only tugged harder on his hair.

“Keep moving and I will pull this trigger, don’t think I won’t.:”

He pulled Nick up off the ground, all the while keeping the gun placed beneath his chin. “I’ve had it with you, get your ass in the fucking car, in the back asshole.”

When Nick refused to move, the man cocked his gun and aimed it at Brian. “I said get… in… the fucking… car.”

“Go ahead.” Nick sneered. “Shoot him, I don’t give a fuck.”

Brian’s eyes widened as Kevin tried to pull him down behind him.

The man only snickered. “You want me… to shoot your best friend?”

“He’s not my best friend, I don’t give a fuck about him. Shoot them all for all I care.”

He stood there, his gun never leaving Brian. He released a maniacal laugh, “You’re fucked up, you know that?”

He diverted his attention to Brian once again and fingered the trigger. Nick took that as an opportunity and ran to tackle him. The man suddenly turned around and aimed the gun at Nick this time, “And you must be fucking crazy to think that I didn’t catch on to what you were trying to do. Trying to make me divert my attention to them so you could do something. Clever, I’ll give you that much Carter. Now, get in the fucking car or I’ll pull the trigger on you. You guys are wasting my fucking time.”

Nick glared at him, but soon did as he was told. The man walked up to Kevin and pushed Brian away, “Get up.” he spat as he grabbed Kevin by the collar of his shirt and pulled him up from the ground.

“I want you three in the back, and you…” he grabbed AJ and pulled him close to him, placing the gun into his temple. “You’re riding shotgun with me.”

AJ didn’t even bother to fight back. He watched as Brian, Kevin and Howie got into the back of the car once more, and was startled when the man suddenly pushed him towards the car. “Get moving.”

AJ jumped into the front of the car and watched as the man walked around to get into the driver’s side. He turned around to face them and had placed the gun to AJ’s head again. “And if any of you guys wanna go and play hero again, I’ll kill him. Got it?” when he didn’t get any responses, he turned back around and started the car, pulling away from the wall they had crashed into.

Things were silent for a while, the only sound being audible was the weird sounds that the car was emitting. The man looked up into the rearview mirror, seeing that both Kevin and Nick were asleep while Howie and Brian were looking off into the windows.

“So, Alexander…” he finally broke the silence. “How’s your head? I um… heard you had amnesia or something.”

AJ glanced over at him but gave him no response.

“Do you remember anything at all?” he asked again.

“You know damn well what you did to me,” AJ finally replied. “What you did to all of us.”

The man looked over at AJ and just stared. He released a “humph” sound, “I’m sorry to hear that AJ… it’s a real shame that you don’t remember much. I mean, doesn’t it suck so bad when you’re trying so hard to remember something and yet nothing comes to mind? It’s stuck there on the tip of your tongue and you’re trying so hard to spit it out, but there’s nothing. Do you know how crucial memory is in life?”

“Does it look like I really give a shit about what you have to say?” AJ snapped, angered at the fact that he was trying to hold a conversation as if he was his best friend.

“Memory is so important to humans, it’s a natural ability to retain information and knowledge of past events. It’s so easy to create, but haven’t you notice how easy it is to take it away? Then, what are you left with? With no memory, there’s this gap in your life because you have nothing to grasp onto. Do you get what I’m saying AJ?”

“I really could care less.”

“You should care. Think hard Alex, it’ll all come to you.” he reached down below his seat and was searching for something, all the while driving. AJ suddenly became uneasy, unsure if he was reaching for a weapon. Finally the man found what he was looking for and pulled it out from beneath his seat. “Between you and I, here you go.”

He handed AJ a hardcover book. “What the hell am I suppose to do with this?”

“Take a look at it.”

AJ grabbed the book and slowly opened it; it was a journal but he was unsure of who it belonged to.

“ Turn it to the last page.”

AJ did as he said and flipped it to the last page, reading it’s contents. His eyes began to widen as he continued to read the book the man had give him.

The man looked over at AJ and smiled, “You see Alexander? Do you now understand how important memories are? A simple memory could save a life.”

AJ looked up from the book, eyes wide and mouth agape.

The man chuckled, “Shh… between you and I, remember?”