- Text Size +
“Ah, here we are.” the man said as he parked the car.

AJ squinted, trying to see where they were through the darkness but couldn’t see anything. He turned to see that both Kevin and Nick were still asleep while Brian and Howie were looking out the windows, trying to determine where they were as well.

“Rise and shine pretty boys.” the man exclaimed in a cherry tone, causing both Kevin and Nick to awake in hell once again.

“Where the hell are we?” AJ asked.

The man took his gun out, “You’ll find out. Now, we’re all gonna get out of this car and you’re gonna follow me. Don’t even think about running away because I will not hesitate to shoot him.” he aimed his gun at AJ when he said that. “Do I make myself clear?” no one responded. “It’s really dark out, but if you guys follow me there should be no problem, now lets go.”

They all got out of the car and just stood there. The man walked around and grabbed AJ, “C’mon sweetheart. Everybody else follow close behind.”

Hesitantly, they followed the man who held AJ at gunpoint, letting him lead them into darkness. Everything was silent, the only thing being heard was their footsteps crunching on dead leaves and twigs. After a few minutes, the man finally came to a stop, bringing AJ to a halt as well.

“Stop.” he told them as he reached behind a large looking rock and had pulled something out. “Nick, do you know where we are?”

“If you haven’t notice, none of us can see a damn thing out here because it’s fucking dark. So, I’m gonna go on and say no… I don’t know where the hell we are.”

A sudden light illuminated the area, causing the five of them to squint and look away from the piercing light. when they turned back they seen the man there holding a lantern, but it didn’t take long for them to realize where the were.

“You son of a bitch!” Nick screamed as he began to approach the man.

He simply took out his gun and aimed it at Nick. “Back down Carter.”

“Why the fuck did you bring us here?” Nick bellowed, glancing down at his brother’s grave.

“Nickolas, I’m offering you a chance of a lifetime. I’m offering you redemption. I can’t imagine how it feels to lose the one you love, and I can’t imagine how great it’d feel to finally bring the guilty to justice.” he handed his gun to Nick. “A life for a life…”

Nick just stared at the man, anger and resentment dancing in his eyes. When Nick didn’t move to take the gun, he turned and aimed it at the remaining four. “The rest of you, get on your fucking knees now.”

The four did as they were told, going down on their knees before Aaron’s grave. The man turned his attention once more to Nick. “C’mon Nick, take it. A life for a life. You‘re finally bringing someone to justice for the death of your younger brother, why are you hesitating?”

Nick finally grabbed the gun, his hand shaking the whole time.

“C’mon, take your pick Nick.” he walked over to Kevin and roughly grabbed him by his hair. “Will it be Kevin, the one who always tried to pass off Aaron’s death as if it was nothing?” he walked over to Howie. “Or will it be Howie, the one who was unsure if he should tell you about Aaron’s death or not.” next, he sauntered over to AJ. “How about AJ? The one who can’t remember shit and could be holding a vital piece of information that could change everything.” finally, he walked over to Brian and just looked down at him and smiled. “Get up.” he said as he grabbed Brian by the back of his shirt and hauled him up off the ground. “What about Brian? The very one who didn’t say anything to you Nick. He knew the whole time that Aaron was dead, and yet he left you hanging, he let you believe that Aaron was still alive. I see the hatred in your eyes, ever since you found out about Aaron’s death and the way your best friend didn’t tell you anything, I could tell that you wanted to rid the world of Brian, there’s no denying it because I would feel the same way.”

At this point, Nick was in tears, the mind games that the man was playing was wearing him down mentally.

“Who will it be Nick? Brian lied to you, your best friend lied to you, he let you believe that Aaron was alive, he let you hold on to that little hope you had left, that little amount of false hope that shrouded your heart. What are you going to do about it Nick? Bring him to justice!”

Nick’s arm rose a bit, the gun not taking a particular aim.

“Nick, if you don’t pick someone soon, I’ll choose someone and do it myself.”

AJ glanced back and forth between the man and Nick. Even though Nick didn’t have a particular aim, he could tell that he wanted to raise his gun at Brian, what the man was telling him wasn’t helping any.

“Nick!” AJ shouted. “Nick, don’t do this…”

Nick looked over at AJ for a while, but then looked back at Brian, who had tears in his eyes.

“Nick!” AJ tried once more to catch his attention. “You can’t do this, don’t listen to him. There’s something you gotta know…”

“Shut the fuck up AJ!” the man yelled, knowing good and well that he was going to reveal the little “secret” they had between them. “Time’s running out Nick, I will choose someone for you.”

“Nick, listen to me… this guy…” AJ tried to say, but the man interrupted him once more.

“AJ, this is the last time I’m telling you, shut the fuck up!” he screamed. “Now Nick,” he grabbed Nick’s hand and brought it over to Brian, placing it on his temple. “A life for a fucking life… put an end to all this right now, bring him to justice.”

“Nick, don’t you do this… there’s no reason for you to do this because…” AJ stopped himself when he saw the man making his way towards him.

“Didn’t I tell you to shut the fuck up?” he bellowed as he backhanded AJ, knocking him off his knees.

Everything froze when the sound of a cocked gun filled the air.

“You’re offering me redemption, and I’m taking it.”

The man smiled, expecting to see Nick preparing to pull the trigger on Brian, but instead he found the gun’s aim on him.

“I choose you.” Nick said, his hand now steady and his eyes gleaming with anger and revenge. “You are the sick fuck who took my brother away from me, not them. You are the one who did this to us, and you’re right… it feels great to be staring into the eyes of the guilty and finally bring him to justice.”

The man rose his hands into the air, “You got me… but, there’s something I haven’t been completely honest about. You see, you think I’m the only one that’s after you guys… you have it all wrong! Do you honestly think I would have gotten this far if it wasn’t for the help of certain people? I have a shitload of people that work for me Nick, and killing me will only trigger these people to kill you, and they will not hesitate. If I’m dead, you’re all dead, got me?”

“How do I know you’re not fucking bluffing?”

“Think about it Nick… I had this all planned out for quite some time and I knew I couldn’t carry out this task myself. I have people everywhere, from the FBI to the coroners, and they do whatever I fucking tell them to do. I’m a man of money, more money than you fucks, and sad to say these people want the money badly. They don’t give a shit about you, they could fucking care less. In their eyes, you guys are nothing but a bunch of spoiled fucking brats who are worth a shitload to some, but you are worth nothing to me or them. So, ask yourself this question Nick, if you guys are worth nothing to me, then why couldn’t I have killed you guys off a long time ago? Believe me, I wanted to, but I wanted to show you my grand finale, the final act before I draw the curtains close.”

“Correction, this is my final act now and I’m gonna show you the fucking grand finale. Take a bow motherfucker, before I draw the curtains close.”

Before anyone had time to react, the man pulled out another gun and aimed it at AJ. “Here’s my final bow.” he said before he pulled the trigger.

AJ’s eyes widened as he felt a burst of pain explode through him. Everyone fell silent, all eyes were on him. He looked down and seen a spot of blood on his stomach, growing larger and larger by the second. All of a sudden he felt everything closing in on him, leaving him little to no space to breathe or react. His hand went to his stomach, trying to cover the wound and stop the bleeding, but there was nothing he could do. Time was slowing down for him, everything was coming in and out in a blur, he was growing weak by the second.

“YOU FUCKER!” Nick screamed as he fired his gun at the man, shooting him right in the chest.

The man gasped when he felt the bullet enter his chest. He dropped to his knees, gun still in hand, and finally dropped to the ground, taking in deep, shallow breaths. The four of them crowded around AJ, who now had blood trickling down the side of his mouth.

“Alex… Alex, look at me man.” Nick said as he grabbed AJ’s head and placed it on his lap, gently caressing his face. “Look at me buddy, stay with me okay?” he paused and looked around, they were in the middle of a cemetery. “Someone’s gotta look for help, someone go call for help now.”

Brian finally sprung into action, running to the car to look for a cell phone, but there was nothing.

“What the hell is going on out here?” a voice asked.

Brian turned towards the voice and seen the cemetery’s security guard approach him in a golf cart.

“Sir, you gotta help me. My friend’s been shot and he’s bleeding bad, we need you to radio in help please.” Brian cried.

“Okay, I need you to calm down sir, everything will be alright.” he grabbed his walkie talkie. “I need paramedics and police stat down at the cemetery, there’s been a shooting incident with one man down, I repeat, one man down.”

“10-4, how many people were involved.” the security guard looked over at Brian, waiting for an answer.

“Six…” Brian finally replied. “Tell her that we’re the Backstreet Boys and Alexander James McLean is the man down.”

“Well, I’ll be damned.” the security guard muttered. “These are the Backstreet Boys ma’am, they have been found. The one man down is Alexander James McLean.”

“Please tell us the condition of the situation sir.”

Brian turned and walked away from the security guard who was explaining the situation. As he began to walk back over towards the guys, tears streamed down his face as reality began to sink in, everything was set into slow motion. Nick still had AJ’s head on his lap, wiping away the blood that was now drying on the side of his face. Kevin was ripping off a piece of shirt and holding it down on the wound while Howie just sat there, helplessly crying at the state of his best friend.

As Brian’s watery eyes continued to wander, he looked down at the man who had caused them all so much grief and pain and his heart stopped. The man was still alive, he had one hand over his bloody chest and his other hand was aiming his gun at Nick’s back, preparing to shoot.

Brian charged at the guy, about to kick the gun out of his hand, but was thrown forward as he felt something hard knock into the back of his shoulder. The sound of a gun going off exploded within his ears, and he dropped to the ground. He tried hard to stay conscious, but darkness was slowly engulfing him. He heard more gun shots and was unsure of exactly who it shot. He was confused as to who shot him from behind and all he could hear no was shots ringing out left and right, followed by the screams of his brothers.