- Text Size +
Dreaming With A Broken Heart

What can you say about a 26 year old man who lay dying before my eyes?

God has given him a beautiful voice and a passion for a music. He loves God and has been given a free ticket into Heaven. He’s the best daddy. He loves his home, cooking, playing golf and laughing. He loves me.

Sara laid her pen down, tears already prickling her dark eyes as she read the words she had just written. He was going so fast and soon, these words would be but pieces of the man she once loved so dearly.

How would she tell their daughter the things she loved so much about her father? What if Sara, herself, couldn’t even remember them…

The sudden change in the heart monitor sound shook her from her thoughts and alerted her that he was awake. “Good morning, sleepy.” She greeted, as cheerfully as she could.

“Hey.” He croaked back, kissing her hand as he always did. But each day, the kisses grew weaker and weaker as he began to lose the battle he had fought for 3 years now. “You’ve been crying..”

“I had nothing better to do.” She smiled sadly. He hated when she cried ; it was something she would have to write down later.

“You could have gone home.”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?” She smiled.

“You know I would never do that.” A smile pulled at his lips as well. It would never cease to warm her heart.

“I do have to go pick up Izzy soon though.” Sara sighed. She always worried that when she left, it’d be the last time they’d speak to each other.

“Oh good. Get her McDonald’s. I promised her that’s what we’d have for dinner.”

His wife rolled her eyes. “You two…” She leaned down to kiss his lips, trying desperately to remember everything about it. “We’ll be back, ok?”

“I’ll be here.” He winked and watched as Sara walked out.

It would be the last time that Brian and Sara would see each other.