- Text Size +
“Brian!” I heard a voice call in the distance.. “C’mon Brian…”

As the voice continued to coax me, I soon realized that it was Kevin who was encouraging me to do god knows what. I tried to open my eyes, but it was such a task. It felt as if someone had taken glue and had sealed my eyes shut, it was so heavy. Seconds later I was able to painfully pry my eyes open, only to be greeted by a harsh, beaming light and the faces of Kevin and Howie.

“The ambulance are on their way.” I heard Nick say as he crouched down by Kevin, looking me over.

Ambulance? Why the hell would they call the ambulance? And why the hell were they staring at me as if I was some… freak show? I tried to raise up off the ground, but I couldn’t move.

“Don’t move Brian.” Kevin advised me, I guess he could see my slight movements because I didn’t move much. “Just lie here and relax a little, the paramedics are on their way.”

“What happened?” I croaked, my throat was a bit dry and my voice was hoarse.

“We don’t know…” Howie sighed. “We were hoping you would be able to tell us. We searched the whole damn carnival when we realized that you went missing. AJ was the one who found you here in the alleyway unconscious.”

Unconscious? I licked my lips and tasted something bitter and dry. Blood. I licked my lips again and noticed that it was cracked, how did that ever happen? And that’s when it hit me.

“Baylee!”

Right when I got off the phone with Paul and turned to make my way back to the fellas, I was greeted by this… burly looking man who attacked me. From what Paul had last told me on the phone, there was no doubt in my mind that Paul had sent him to take care of me.

“Brian,” Kevin said, softly placing his hand upon my shoulder to prevent me from moving anywhere. “There was no one here when AJ found you and we didn’t come across anyone with Baylee.”

I soon regretted the sudden action of raising and screaming out Baylee’s name, the pain coursed through my body like you wouldn’t believe. Gosh damn, what did that man do to me? “No, you don’t understand… Paul took Baylee over here, he called me on the phone and everything, they were here…”

“But we’re telling you Bri… there’s no one here.”

I didn’t even notice that I began crying, I just felt so frustrated. “Kevin, he was right here… that man took Baylee into this alleyway. I was so close Kevin… I was right there, all I had to do was reach out and grab him, but I didn’t… I waited too long.”

“Brian, just please try to relax, you’re worrying us man. You can’t work yourself up like this, you’re already in bad condition.”

I looked up at them, I had forgotten that they had called the paramedics. “I can’t go to the hospital… we can’t be here, our cover will be blown.”

“Who cares Brian?” that was AJ who spoke this time. “None of us care about our cover at the moment, you were attacked for Christ sake.”

“And what are we suppose to say to the media AJ?” I fired back. “My attack will be all in the papers, and what are we suppose to say then? Look, lets just get back to my house and we’ll take care of everything from there… we can’t jeopardize ourselves like this…”

“Alright… lets go.”

My eyes widened. Did Kevin just agree with me upon something? All this time we were bickering and he’s finally agreeing to something I said?

“Kevin, are you hearing yourself?” AJ argued. “Look at your cousin, he’s injured and you guys are worried about blowing our cover and jeopardizing our careers?”

“I’m not worried about our careers, the last thing we need is the press getting up all in our business, all up in Brian’s business. He doesn’t need this right now… if you ask me, he can’t deal with this right now. So lets just take him back to his house and we’ll figure out something from there. Howie, go and bring Brian’s car around here.”